CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Tony Marino
RobbieFTW
Supernova
tmontyb
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Chris
11 posters

Do you think humor is funnier if it is R-rated?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do you think humor is funnier if it is R-rated? Empty Do you think humor is funnier if it is R-rated?

Post by Chris Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:11 am

I know someone who claims "all good humor is R-rated," personally I don't agree, but I do admit to being skeptical of G and PG-rated comedy (suspecting that it might be cornier.)

When it comes to comedic films, do you gravitate more towards R-rated films or do you prefer cleaner humor/more subtle humor?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Do you think humor is funnier if it is R-rated? Empty Re: Do you think humor is funnier if it is R-rated?

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:44 am

I think if something is funny, it's funny. But I could never in a million years limit myself to G, PG, or PG-13 rated humor.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Do you think humor is funnier if it is R-rated? Empty Re: Do you think humor is funnier if it is R-rated?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:47 am

R-rated humor tends to come off as VERY unfunny and gimmicky garbage. It tends to be more disgusting than funny. G humor may be corny but R humor is just plain pathetic.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:49 am

Actually, I find G-Rated humor to be funnier. Ever watch old sitcoms that are devoid of the crassness of today's sitcoms. They're pretty hysterical, IMO.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:45 am

Funny, sometimes, funnier, not a chance in hell.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:50 am

PG and PG-13 comedy can be funny, so long as it aint hokey. I think PG humor is usually alot more "personable" than R that focuses more on being blunt and "OMG i cant believe they just said/did that". Dont get me wrong i like R rated movies but a good PG movie i wont snub just because its less blunt.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:21 pm

Not really, if its R rated more than likely there are going to be more 4 letter words and more references to various body parts.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:19 pm

I think Sinbad is one of the funniest motherfuckers out there and he never has to use language like that.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:33 pm

I know of a few stand up comedians that really let it all hang out at some of their shows like Ron White and Lewis Black, and there are great R-rated comedies like Animal House and Revenge of the Nerds and some not-so-great but still funny movies in that range like Why Me? and D.C. Cab, but I really don't know of any in that area that could compare to the Marx Brothers, Red Skelton, Abbott and Costello, Rita Rudner, Ellen Degeneres, Jeff Foxworthy, or even just the way Paula Poundstone suggests to the audience they all go to 7-11 'and one at a time we'll all go up and buy a Slim Jim! That'll really screw up their inventory!'
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:28 pm

What's funny is funny. I don't discriminate, I see humor in everything and I prob. find things funny that most people wouldn't. But I'd definitely choose to watch an R rated comedy before a G rated one.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:14 pm

For me it depends on the writing and acting in the movies combined with the ratings and intended audiences. I have seen several classic and recent comedies which fall into the PG rating and the acting and writing combines well with the family friendly aspect. I have seen some rated R comedies that have bad acting and writing and are plain awful to watch.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:55 pm

I don't think it is even usually funnier if it is R rated. I think that they usually just put in a lot of bad words and think the audience is going to find that funny.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:10 am