CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Tony Marino
2xy
CeCe
tmontyb
Forgiveness Man
Chris
10 posters

'Gay Days' at amusement parks

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'Gay Days' at amusement parks Empty 'Gay Days' at amusement parks

Post by Chris Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 am

How do you feel about amusement parks like Disney World having what they call 'Gay Day?' The day doesn't exclude anyone, but gives special acknowledgment for park attendees who identify as LGBT. I heard that at Disney World, it's in June, and the red shirts attendees wear symbolize that they're gay.

Are you for or against the idea of certain groups getting a certain special days set aside for acknowledgment?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

'Gay Days' at amusement parks Empty Re: 'Gay Days' at amusement parks

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 am

I think it's stupid and divisive and really destroys the idea of "equality." NO group should get special days at Amusement Parks. It's stupid.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Meh, I love gay day at Six Flags. It's a day where folks can be themselves and not have to worry about the homophobic dickheads out there.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:36 am

I think its' great & may help increase awareness & hopefully acceptance.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:40 am

CeCe wrote:I think its' great & may help increase awareness & hopefully acceptance.

I doubt it. It'll just come off as another stunt. Awareness and acceptance (for ANYTHING) have to come naturally, not from feeble attempts to trick or force people into it.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:44 am

CeCe wrote:I think its' great & may help increase awareness & hopefully acceptance.

It's more of a day where gay folks can fun and not worry about the homophobes. They can find out when gay day is and stay away. Frankly, I don't care if they accept it or not.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:47 am

tmontyb wrote:

It's more of a day where gay folks can fun and not worry about the homophobes. They can find out when gay day is and stay away. Frankly, I don't care if they accept it or not.

Still that would be the day some of them would be more likely to show up just to be an ass. But when something is publicized it might at least get people talking. Some people are still gonna get their panties in a pinch because one group is being treated "special". But I see how it might open up discussion as well.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 am

CeCe wrote:
    tmontyb wrote:

Still that would be the day some of them would be more likely to show up just to be an ass. But when something is publicized it might at least get people talking. Some people are still gonna get their panties in a pinch because one group is being treated "special". But I see how it might open up discussion as well.

I know in the past some "family rights" protesters have shown up, but the way I see it, it's one day out of the year. It's nothing for anyone to get their "panties in pinch", but you know, some folks always have to find something to complain about.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:32 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:I think it's stupid and divisive and really destroys the idea of "equality." NO group should get special days at Amusement Parks. It's stupid.

I tend to agree with this. If you (general "you") really want equality, you have to quit pointing out that you're somehow special.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:40 am

2xy wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:I think it's stupid and divisive and really destroys the idea of "equality." NO group should get special days at Amusement Parks. It's stupid.

I tend to agree with this. If you (general "you") really want equality, you have to quit pointing out that you're somehow special.

Please explain to me whose trying to point out that they're special, especially when most of the time these days are marketing ploys implemented by the parks themselves.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:42 am

tmontyb wrote:Meh, I love gay day at Six Flags. It's a day where folks can be themselves and not have to worry about the homophobic dickheads out there.

Curious, dosen't it make you sort of a target for the HD that hang out at six flags?
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male

Post by tmontyb Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 am

Tony Marino wrote:
    tmontyb wrote:Meh, I love gay day at Six Flags. It's a day where folks can be themselves and not have to worry about the homophobic dickheads out there.

Curious, dosen't it make you sort of a target for the HD that hang out at six flags?

I haven't seen them inside the park on the those days that I've gone. Plus, does that mean the world should stop revolving because some people don't like it?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 am

I don't see what it hurts. Just one day set aside to let people fellowship with their brethren and feel a stronger sense of pride and community.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:22 am

Nhaiyel wrote:I don't see what it hurts. Just one day set aside to let people fellowship with their brethren and feel a stronger sense of pride and community.

co-signs
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:41 am

Nothing wrong with gay day. No one is forced to go there on that day, gay or straight, it's just a very nice gesture of support for the gay community by the Disney folks. It aint even an "officially" sponsored event, even tho they do acknowledge it.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by 2xy Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:I don't see what it hurts. Just one day set aside to let people fellowship with their brethren and feel a stronger sense of pride and community.

See, that's what I don't understand. I don't understand having pride in something you have no control over. People do not choose their sexuality or ethnicity. If you were born gay, or Irish, or Puerto Rican...you did absolutely NOTHING to accomplish those things. Where does pride come in? I can't wrap my brain around having pride in something that just "happened" to you. It's not like choosing a nationality, religion, or political affiliation.

I also can't recall the last time I felt the need to "connect" with the heterosexual community. I just think that making a great, big deal out of being gay just perpetuates making a great, big deal out of being gay. If we just normalize queerness, maybe the homophobes will start to normalize queerness. Having parades and special events makes queerness seem out-of-the-ordinary. Let's make it ordinary.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 pm

tmontyb wrote:
    Tony Marino wrote:

I haven't seen them inside the park on the those days that I've gone. Plus, does that mean the world should stop revolving because some people don't like it?

Absolutely not but you know, you have no control over how people are going to react to certain things. I didn't even know Six Flags had a gay day I bet its a fun day.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:20 pm

2xy wrote:

See, that's what I don't understand. I don't understand having pride in something you have no control over. People do not choose their sexuality or ethnicity. If you were born gay, or Irish, or Puerto Rican...you did absolutely NOTHING to accomplish those things. Where does pride come in? I can't wrap my brain around having pride in something that just "happened" to you. It's not like choosing a nationality, religion, or political affiliation.

I also can't recall the last time I felt the need to "connect" with the heterosexual community. I just think that making a great, big deal out of being gay just perpetuates making a great, big deal out of being gay. If we just normalize queerness, maybe the homophobes will start to normalize queerness. Having parades and special events makes queerness seem out-of-the-ordinary. Let's make it ordinary.

And straight people haven't been told that they are bad, evil, hell bound, disgusting, vile, sinful...
    Straight people haven't been humiliated, bullied for being straight, told they should be ashamed of themselves...
    Gay people have every reason to be proud of who they are. And every right to express that. Of course straight people don't feel the need to "connect" with each other. They're already accepted. There are no straight rights to fight for. They already have them. "Normalizing" isn't that easy. But I think this is a step in the right direction to get there.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by 2xy Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm not saying that gay people should be ashamed of who they are, nor do I think they should hide. I just think of "accomplishments" when I think of "pride." Being gay isn't an accomplishment.

I was bullied and humiliated for being white when I was a kid (in Hawaii). I am not "proud" to be white. Nor am I ashamed. I just am. I've been told that I'm bad, evil, hellbound, disgusting, vile and sinful because I'm an atheist. I daresay that a gay man would become President before an atheist would. I fight against discrimination towards atheists, but I don't see how having a special non-believer day at a theme park helps with progress.

Connecting is one thing; making a spectacle is another.

Last edited by 2xy on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by 2xy Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:40 pm

double post
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:05 pm

2xy wrote:I'm not saying that gay people should be ashamed of who they are, nor do I think they should hide. I just think of "accomplishments" when I think of "pride." Being gay isn't an accomplishment.

I was bullied and humiliated for being white when I was a kid (in Hawaii). I am not "proud" to be white. Nor am I ashamed. I just am. I've been told that I'm bad, evil, hellbound, disgusting, vile and sinful because I'm an atheist. I daresay that a gay man would become President before an atheist would. I fight against discrimination towards atheists, but I don't see how having a special non-believer day at a theme park helps with progress.

Connecting is one thing; making a spectacle is another.

I think this is something that benefits everyone. The employees are recognized which is no different than wearing a certain color on any other "awareness day". There are colors for cancer, autism, supporting the troops...& people have no problem with that. And I do believe it raises awareness. In order for people to understand they need to be exposed. It's not just going to magically happen one day. When they understand how normal homosexuality is, that gay people are no different than anyone else, the fear & hate will fade. Then hopefully there will be acceptance.

I understand the gist of what you're saying, but white people, straight people, atheist people, etc. are not being denied basic human rights like gay people. The hate, fear, intimidation & isolation are not on the same level. The government doesn't openly deny rights to the white straight atheist. The white straight atheist doesn't commit suicide because they believe something is wrong with them. But if awareness can be raised through something as simple as this even for a few it's worth it. And if someone who is gay can find encouragement then it's a good thing.

As far as the word "pride" goes it also means "respect for oneself, a sense of one's own dignity or worth". I believe that fits very well.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:09 pm

I don’t see it as expressing pride per se as much as a show of defiance against a majority who has treated them as second class citizens and worse. How many countless men and women have been forced to live secret lives in misery and despair because society called them perverts and monsters? So I don’t think most gays and lesbians have the attitude, “Ha ha, look at me, I’m a homosexual and that makes me special.” I think they’re marching, saying, “Ha ha, look at me, I’m a homosexual and you’re not going to make me feel like a freak anymore.”
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 pm

alan smithee wrote:I don’t see it as expressing pride per se as much as a show of defiance against a majority who has treated them as second class citizens and worse. How many countless men and women have been forced to live secret lives in misery and despair because society called them perverts and monsters? So I don’t think most gays and lesbians have the attitude, “Ha ha, look at me, I’m a homosexual and that makes me special.” I think they’re marching, saying, “Ha ha, look at me, I’m a homosexual and you’re not going to make me feel like a freak anymore.”

co-signs I don't understand why people continue to believe it's about being special or wanting special rights. People just want to have the same rights & be accepted for who they are. It's not happening as fast as it should but it's certainly a step in the right direction.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:19 am

CeCe wrote:

And straight people haven't been told that they are bad, evil, hell bound, disgusting, vile, sinful...
    Straight people haven't been humiliated, bullied for being straight, told they should be ashamed of themselves...
    Gay people have every reason to be proud of who they are. And every right to express that. Of course straight people don't feel the need to "connect" with each other. They're already accepted. There are no straight rights to fight for. They already have them. "Normalizing" isn't that easy. But I think this is a step in the right direction to get there.

Well said CeCe!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:20 am

alan smithee wrote:I think they’re marching, saying, “Ha ha, look at me, I’m a homosexual and you’re not going to make me feel like a freak anymore.”
    Like that's gonna do anything. lol

Special days like this will only seek to sharpen differences rather than make them disappear, assuming anybody pays attention at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:02 am