CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

2 posters

Jane Eyre

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Jane Eyre Empty Jane Eyre

Post by Shale Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Jane Eyre
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    April 23, 2011

Two movies based on popular books in two days, and again I am glad that I didn't know the story from the book, because I like movies, even good ones like this. (Over 80% of critics and audiences say this flick is good).

If you've already read Charlotte Bronte’s novel set in mid 19th Century England then you already know the story, and since I've read that it is a long novel, you can suspect that a lot of the story has been cut. But I've also read that it was done well and all the necessary parts of this romance drama are there.

The story is a series of flashbacks starting with Jane Eyre (Mia Wasikowska) running across the moors from Thornfield Manor. She finds refuge with a preacher, St. John Rivers (Jamie Bell) and his sisters.

St. John River & Jane
    Jane Eyre 73233_gal

From there we get more flashbacks to Jane's early childhood in a Dickensonian world of mid 19th Century where she is an orphan cared for her aunt Reed (Sally Hawkins), who sends her off to a typically dreadful orphanage where they do everything possible (beatings, hunger, ridicule and isolation) to make her a psychopath but fail. From there she graduates to Governess for a child at Thornfield Hall, hired by Mrs Fairfax (Judi Dench) the housekeeper.

Mrs. Fairfax & Jane
    Jane Eyre 73226_gal

She is doing her new job contentedly until the master of the house, Edward Rochester (Michael Fassbender) returns and there are some moments where he is impressed that she is not intimidated by him. He is obviously attracted to this naive but determined young woman.

Edward Rochester
    Jane Eyre 73230_gal

But, there are secrets in this story. The sometimes engaging, sometimes moody and sullen Rochester is obviously distracted by other business. However, over time he warms to Jane, whom he enjoys bantering with as equals and eventually proposes.

Rochester Proposes to Jane
    Jane Eyre 72257_gal

And, just like the romantic dramas of today, which have followed the same formula for over a hundred years, there has to be some conflict to cause the original running across the moors.

I agree with the 80%; I really liked this movie. Not just because I love period costume dramas but because it was well acted by everyone with visually appealing sets, costumes and fotografy.

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Jane Eyre Empty Re: Jane Eyre

Post by JWF Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:54 pm

I saw the remake last month. Mia Washikowski (Jane Eyre) is a rising star. Loved her in "The Kids Are All Right". The problem is this: The Charlotte Bronte's novel has been over cooked. I was looking for something different from the previous 8 or 10 or whatever. If your going to do a remake it needs originality. According to IMDb there was a Jane Eyre made in 1914, plus a zillion adapted to TV.

About reading novels adapted to the screen. I have no problem reading a novel before or after. It's usually after. The novel never ever effects how I view the film. For me...there's a tremendous benefit from reading the novel. I read "Water for Elephants" several years ago, before the film was considered. Whether I read it or not my opinion would have been the same. I also had a copy of the script, which I read after viewing the film. I have friends and acquaintances in the film business. This all adds to my insight into a film. One doesn't effect the other.

Jack

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:59 pm