CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
TSJFan4Ever
RedBedroom
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
MandyPerfumeGirl
8 posters

Should kindergartners go an entire day of school?

MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Should kindergartners go an entire day of school? Empty Should kindergartners go an entire day of school?

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat May 28, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi all,

When I was in school, in kindergarten to be precise, it was only a half-day of school and our parents could enroll us in either the morning or the afternoon class. Now, in the school district where I live, kindergartners are going a whole day. I think that's too much for kids that age - they're just babies!

What's your opinion on this?
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Should kindergartners go an entire day of school? Empty Re: Should kindergartners go an entire day of school?

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat May 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Too much. Half-day is perfect.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should kindergartners go an entire day of school? Empty Re: Should kindergartners go an entire day of school?

Post by RedBedroom Sat May 28, 2011 10:30 pm

This is a total hot bed of discussion around here because more and more area schools, including the city district, have gone to full days, part time....two day schedule with alternating Fridays.

Personally, I am against it because around here, they began half day 4K. The implementation of that program really makes me pissed. It is glorified daycare, at tax payer's burden. I am all for educating kids, but what is done at 4K here, is nothing but art, and a tad of skills thrown in. Total waste, and truly only benefits the daycares who provide busing and charge as much as if the kids were in full time pre-school at the facility daycare.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun May 29, 2011 12:55 am

There are pros and cons both ways. Some kids are eady for it and others arne't. For those that aren't, it's a REALLY long and difficult day. Here, all kids in kindergarten are 5 by Dec. 31st. We have pre-school - no pre-K.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun May 29, 2011 3:21 am

Not, it should stay at half a day.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon May 30, 2011 6:48 am

I see no problem with whole day classes for kindergartners. I recall going a whole day when I was in kindergarten; my daughter did as well. They are going to have to experience whole day classes once they hit the first grade, I see no point in delaying the inevitable. A half day for pre-schoolers makes more sense, but I think Kindergartners should get the full day just like every other grade level.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon May 30, 2011 10:18 am

Nystyle709 wrote:Not, it should stay at half a day.

The liquor talking. PRE school should be half a day, but not kindergarten. I stayed the full day during kindergarten.....I think we might've gotten out an hour earlier than the rest of the kids, but the whole day was fine. We had nap time then too.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 am

I never went to pre-school.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon May 30, 2011 5:43 pm

My daughter went full day kindergarten and she was none the worse for it.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Where I grew up, all Kindergarten was full-day. I had never heard of half-day K until moving to the mainland. DS2 was homeschooled for K, but DS1 went to public school and it was full-day K. As long as kids are allowed a rest period, I don't see how it's any harder on them than daycare. Oh, and neither I nor my son attended preschool. I was at home with my mom until I started K. My son was in a home daycare. Neither of us had any trouble transitioning to a full day at school.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon May 30, 2011 9:22 pm

2xy wrote:Where I grew up, all Kindergarten was full-day. I had never heard of half-day K until moving to the mainland. DS2 was homeschooled for K, but DS1 went to public school and it was full-day K. As long as kids are allowed a rest period, I don't see how it's any harder on them than daycare. Oh, and neither I nor my son attended preschool. I was at home with my mom until I started K. My son was in a home daycare. Neither of us had any trouble transitioning to a full day at school.

Oh long forgotten memories! When I was in KG, my best friend and I were the "rug monitors". We were in charge of unrolling and rolling up the rug upon which we all laid down on for quiet/nap time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:49 am