CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Chris
Shale
TSJFan4Ever
Tony Marino
RedBedroom
9 posters

Not a very funny joke...

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Not a very funny joke... Empty Not a very funny joke...

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:21 pm

My son's Math teacher told the kids that today (last day of school) they would be having a review test of everything they have learned this year that would be a large part of their grade.

So, we literally went over Math from 11 yesterday, until 8. He was still struggling with more difficult equations, so that was what made the review take so damn many hours yesterday.

Today, he gets to Math class, and the teacher had been kidding and just handed out review sheets to do over the summer. I know that it is not as if my son was hurt by studying all day with us yesterday, but that was a huge kick to the teeth because we have all summer to go over things and I am feeling very pissed off that instead of spending the day doing other things, we had to spend Sunday making sure that he would not stumble on the equations part.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Not a very funny joke... Empty Re: Not a very funny joke...

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:27 pm

I don't blame you for being pissed off. If it makes you feel any better tell the teacher the joke was not funny and how you spent all those hours for nothing when it could have been spread out.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:35 pm

The worst part about it is that maybe it sets a tone for the kids who studied to hope for it being a joke in the future and then not study or tell their parents they need help on part of it they are stuggling with.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:49 pm

RedBedroom wrote:The worst part about it is that maybe it sets a tone for the kids who studied to hope for it being a joke in the future and then not study or tell their parents they need help on part of it they are stuggling with.

I sure hope that is not the case.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 pm

That really wasn't very smart on the part of the teacher. Do you think you could talk to her about it? Let her know that you're worried about the tone it sets for the future and how hard your son studied? I really don't know why the teacher thought it would be funny to do something like that.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:That really wasn't very smart on the part of the teacher. Do you think you could talk to her about it? Let her know that you're worried about the tone it sets for the future and how hard your son studied? I really don't know why the teacher thought it would be funny to do something like that.

My son won't have him for a Math teacher again, now that he is out of sixth grade. So, since report cards don't go out until the end of the week, I shall stay mum. My son had possibly slipped to a B, and I really don't want him to factor in my bitching when going between an A/B. Maybe that is an unrealistic worry on my part, but this teacher did not take to criticism earlier this year well.

I was not a bitch about it, but the kids do two tests (one at the beginning and one at the end of the year) to see if they would do ok for pre algebra in 7th. Well, my son was so happy to test into it early. He was proud, and excited. Then this teacher really started to preach to the class how hard it would be, seemingly talking pre algebra down to the kids who should really be in there. So, I did bring it up that I hoped he would try to accentuate some of the positives about it in class. I'm all for prepping them for the harder work, but not getting them to the point they don't think they can handle it.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Yeah - true - you don't want to jeopardize your son's grade. Maybe after report cards are out, you could taken in like that.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:10 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:That really wasn't very smart on the part of the teacher. Do you think you could talk to her about it? ...

RedBedroom wrote:
    My son won't have him for a Math teacher again, ...
    Just an interesting thing of perception here. When Red was relating the story I immediately saw that it was a male math teach.

I couldn't even conceive that a woman teacher would be that frivolous giving out a bogus assignment. Almost like the teach came from a background of hazing - which fraternities are usually busted for more than sororities.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 am

Yeah that was kinda sleazy; very deceitful. While I bet a number of kids in his class breathed a heavy sigh of relief, your son had to feel a little duped for having to sacrifice part of his weekend to study for this bogus test so that he'd get a passing grade.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:10 am

At least it got him to study and practice his math. I don't really see the harm. It was a dick-move, though.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:45 am

Rockbird wrote:At least it got him to study and practice his math. I don't really see the harm. It was a dick-move, though.

I agree. And I hope anyone who reads this doesn't think that I am of the mindset of, "Damn, we did all that work for nothing." Those difficult equations kicked all our asses for a huge part of the day until we got him to understand it. So, it was worth it, but last night at six, I would have much rather retired for the night when we were all tired, hungry and crabby after having been at it for several hours.

The problematic equations were part of a "challenge yourself" section of his workbook, but because grades are so important, he knew that it was in his best interest to know them just in case they were part of the test, even if just an extra credit.

And just so everyone knows, my son isn't a kid who just naturally comes by wanting to know something like that. (though, that would be great) He just knows that grades come first and that his summer is defined by that final report card.

He races motocross, so if he gets any B's we don't leave the state to race. If he gets any C's (which never happened) we would cut it down to just our region within our state. So if we were not so strict, who knows what would happen. But the way I see it, it works for us. Plus, some of his sponsors shell out a heck of a lot more cash in the seasons they are sent a straight A report card.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:24 am

RedBedroom wrote:
    Rockbird wrote:At least it got him to study and practice his math. I don't really see the harm. It was a dick-move, though.

I agree. And I hope anyone who reads this doesn't think that I am of the mindset of, "Damn, we did all that work for nothing." Those difficult equations kicked all our asses for a huge part of the day until we got him to understand it. So, it was worth it, but last night at six, I would have much rather retired for the night when we were all tired, hungry and crabby after having been at it for several hours.

The problematic equations were part of a "challenge yourself" section of his workbook, but because grades are so important, he knew that it was in his best interest to know them just in case they were part of the test, even if just an extra credit.

And just so everyone knows, my son isn't a kid who just naturally comes by wanting to know something like that. (though, that would be great) He just knows that grades come first and that his summer is defined by that final report card.

He races motocross, so if he gets any B's we don't leave the state to race. If he gets any C's (which never happened) we would cut it down to just our region within our state. So if we were not so strict, who knows what would happen. But the way I see it, it works for us. Plus, some of his sponsors shell out a heck of a lot more cash in the seasons they are sent a straight A report card.

I get what you mean. It was deceitful. It's not about how your son and his classmates had to spend a day studying what they learned, it's about how all that studying wasn't put to good use. A better joke would have been if he had actually given them the quiz, but when it was over he told them that it wouldn't count as a 'make/break' part of their final grade, but rather as extra credit. At least that would have amounted to something.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:46 am

I'd go in and have a chat with the school Principal and bypass the teacher all together. "Out" him and make sure the higher ups know exactly what's going on in the classroom and that you're watching--you have that right as a parent.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am

Hyacinth Girl wrote:I'd go in and have a chat with the school Principal and bypass the teacher all together. "Out" him and make sure the higher ups know exactly what's going on in the classroom and that you're watching--you have that right as a parent.

co-signs

I agree. That's a pretty stupid thing of the teacher to do. He doesn't sound terribly bright or considerate of other people's time. Of course, some kids did slack off, and as Chris said, breathed a sigh of relief, but there are kids like your son who really did study hard and put his body and soul into it. I'd raise hell with that teacher.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

It's usually best to go right to the source first. It's even more of a dick move to go above somebody without laying your cards out on the table. Seems underhanded and malicious.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 pm

That's a little fucked up, but in all honestly....your day really wasn't wasted. If your son got a better understanding of the equations he was having problems with, then it's AG.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:38 am