CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
RedBedroom
Shale
femme fatale
CeCe
Chris
9 posters

As a driver, how do you feel about people who jog or bicycle in high traffic areas?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

As a driver, how do you feel about people who jog or bicycle in high traffic areas? Empty As a driver, how do you feel about people who jog or bicycle in high traffic areas?

Post by Chris Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:20 am

As a driver, when you come across someone jogging or bicycling in close proximity of your vehicle, are you tolerant or hostile?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

As a driver, how do you feel about people who jog or bicycle in high traffic areas? Empty Re: As a driver, how do you feel about people who jog or bicycle in high traffic areas?

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 am

I would rather they not jog in congested areas but some people bike as a means of transportation. They actually need the road as much as I do.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

As a driver, how do you feel about people who jog or bicycle in high traffic areas? Empty Re: As a driver, how do you feel about people who jog or bicycle in high traffic areas?

Post by femme fatale Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:11 am

If they go with the flow of traffic then I guess its not a problem but I would prefer they keep their distance from my car. Trouble with joggers and cyclists is that they sometimes come out of nowhere. And if you hit them you're automatically to blame, even if it was their fault.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:50 am

CeCe wrote:I would rather they not jog in congested areas but some people bike as a means of transportation. They actually need the road as much as I do.
    co-signs

It doesn't matter what drivers' opinion is on this matter, the law in Florida gives bicycles on the road the rights of a vehicle AND drivers are supposed to give a 3-foot clearance when passing a bicyclist. If that is not feasible, then wait until such clearance can be done.

However, it is a law that has not been properly publicised to the drivers, who still honk at me as if I did not have a right to be on the road and still pass inches off my handlebars.

femme fatale wrote:... And if you hit them you're automatically to blame, even if it was their fault.
    Not true. I was hit by an impatient driver who blindsided me while in a turn lane. The pig gave ME a ticket, even tho the driver crossed a double yellow line to hit me while she was illegally skirting traffic to get to a turn lane. She said I rode in front of her from a side street. Fortunately, her insurance co. listened to the witness and settled with me for a couple grand.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:49 am

If it is an area they are allowed, I am fine with it, though it makes me nervous. I really don't like it when they are in areas they are not supposed to be due to the unsafe nature of the road.

What drives me absolutely insane is walkers/runners out at night, wearing dark clothing in poorly lit residental areas. They are so bad about it around here. There are people who walk black labs with jeans and a dark top on. That is stupid as hell.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:33 pm

femme fatale wrote:If they go with the flow of traffic then I guess its not a problem but I would prefer they keep their distance from my car. Trouble with joggers and cyclists is that they sometimes come out of nowhere. And if you hit them you're automatically to blame, even if it was their fault.

Yep.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 pm

I'm a driver and a pedestrian so I know what it's like on both sides of the road. I usually have more of a problem with joggers and bikers when I'm behind the wheel than I do with drivers when I'm on foot. I am not saying all joggers and bikers think they own the road but two riders side by side so that one of them is in my lane? I won't be the one that hits them but come on. I'm very conscious of motor cycles too.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:37 am

Cyclists make me nervous because, while they're supposed to be considered a vehicle, many don't act like one. I've seen them weaving in and out of traffic and coming up shoulders and so forth. I prefer when there's a bike path on the side of the road.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:48 am

RedBedroom wrote:If it is an area they are allowed, I am fine with it, though it makes me nervous. I really don't like it when they are in areas they are not supposed to be due to the unsafe nature of the road.

What drives me absolutely insane is walkers/runners out at night, wearing dark clothing in poorly lit residental areas. They are so bad about it around here. There are people who walk black labs with jeans and a dark top on. That is stupid as hell.

Yes

You don't see them until they're close enough to your headlights....and by then it's probably too late.

The more they stay on the sidewalk, the better.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:06 am

If I'm out when it's dark I wear an orange reflective vest.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 8:21 am