CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Nhaiyel
GrayWolf
AtownPeep
Shale
Alan Smithee
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
jennab85
12 posters

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ...

jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ... Empty Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ...

Post by jennab85 Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend talk to the person's family first?

My older brother died several years ago. Just recently one of his friends had a child and named the child after my brother. This person didn't talk to my family and I feel should have talked to us first out of respect for our grief. I do understand that he has probably grieved as well, but a family's grief is bigger and if I end up having kids someday I was planning on naming a child after my brother.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ... Empty Re: Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ...

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:54 pm

No, I really don't think they need to. A friendship is between the two people who are/were friends. I don't think it's a situation where permission is required. As far as the level of grief, blood isn't always the determining factor. Friends are profoundly impacted by the death of someone they love too. There's no reason you can't name a son after your brother if & when that time comes. I think it says a lot about him that there may be a few kids running around with his name. That's actually quite an honor & tribute to his memory.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ... Empty Re: Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ...

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:58 pm

So, why can't you?

There's no trademark on a person's name.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:06 pm

jennab, I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. Was his name that unusal that more than one family couldn't keep his memory alive?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:06 pm

IDK if there is an etiquette on this, but ppl are free to name their children whatever they want. Your brother would be doubly honored that two kids were named after him, but the first one having a child happened to not be you.

Also, the relationship between two friends is often outside the purvue of family.

Besides, unless it was a bizarrely unique name, who will ever know or care that your Joe or Tom was named after your brother and that other Joe or Tom as well.

Also, I assume that both Joe's or Tom's will have different last names so it won't even be noticed that they had a common inspiration for their name.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:09 pm

CeCe wrote:No, I really don't think they need to. A friendship is between the two people who are/were friends. I don't think it's a situation where permission is required. As far as the level of grief, blood isn't always the determining factor. Friends are profoundly impacted by the death of someone they love too. There's no reason you can't name a son after your brother if & when that time comes. I think it says a lot about him that there may be a few kids running around with his name. That's actually quite an honor & tribute to his memory.
    co-signs
    Note: I did not plagiarize this post - we were typing simultaneously and she hit send before me.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Shale wrote:
    CeCe wrote:No, I really don't think they need to. A friendship is between the two people who are/were friends. I don't think it's a situation where permission is required. As far as the level of grief, blood isn't always the determining factor. Friends are profoundly impacted by the death of someone they love too. There's no reason you can't name a son after your brother if & when that time comes. I think it says a lot about him that there may be a few kids running around with his name. That's actually quite an honor & tribute to his memory.
    co-signs
    Note: I did not plagiarize this post - we were typing simultaneously and she hit send before me.

lmao i'm fast! Wink
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by jennab85 Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:18 pm

In my situation, the friend that named this child after my brother is the nephew of my uncle's wife, so many people already know that particular child was named after my brother.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by jennab85 Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:jennab, I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. Was his name that unusal that more than one family couldn't keep his memory alive?

Thank you for the condolences.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm

I still don't see the big deal. It's all love. You don't have the monopoly over your brother's name, though. Sorry. sad
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm just not seeing why that makes a difference. It isn't like a name has an expiration date or a one time only use. You & anyone else can still name a child after your brother.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by jennab85 Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:27 pm

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:I still don't see the big deal. It's all love. You don't have the monopoly over your brother's name, though. Sorry. sad

I know I don't have a monopoly over the name. The reason I am upset is because I don't really believe in God or an afterlife and I'm still grieving over my brother, but I have moved on. I was hoping that if I did have a child(a boy) naming him after my brother would bring me some comfort. Too many people already know that the my aunt's nephew's son is named after my brother and if I ended up naming my son with the same name people wouldn't care too much.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:28 pm

I mean they can extend a courtesy to tell their family what they're planning to do and I'm sure the family would appreciate the gesture. But a name is a name. No one needs permission to name their child what they want.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by jennab85 Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:32 pm

AtownPeep wrote:I mean they can extend a courtesy to tell their family what they're planning to do and I'm sure the family would appreciate the gesture. But a name is a name. No one needs permission to name their child what they want.

I do wish they would have the courtesy to my family beforehand.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:37 pm

jennab85 wrote:
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:I still don't see the big deal. It's all love. You don't have the monopoly over your brother's name, though. Sorry. sad

I know I don't have a monopoly over the name. The reason I am upset is because I don't really believe in God or an afterlife and I'm still grieving over my brother, but I have moved on. I was hoping that if I did have a child(a boy) naming him after my brother would bring me some comfort. Too many people already know that the my aunt's nephew's son is named after my brother and if I ended up naming my son with the same name people wouldn't care too much.

What other people think or know will not bring you any kind of comfort anyway. Although you confuse me when you say you're still grieving but have moved on...

Grief is a process that requires the passage of time. It's just the amount that varies. But someone naming their child after him doesn't take anything away from you. It doesn't matter whether or not other people care about the name of a potential future child. The tribute to your brother isn't altered by that.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Why does it matter that people care that you named your child after your deceased brother?

That should be for you.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I don't wanna tell you how to feel about it but if it were me and my brother died and one of his buds named their son after him I would be grateful. Wouldn't deter my plans to one day give my own kid the same name at all. It's like someone said, your brother would have 2 kids named in his honor! That's pretty awesome. Is it that you wanted your future kids to be the original namesake?
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by jennab85 Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:17 pm

GrayWolf wrote:I don't wanna tell you how to feel about it but if it were me and my brother died and one of his buds named their son after him I would be grateful. Wouldn't deter my plans to one day give my own kid the same name at all. It's like someone said, your brother would have 2 kids named in his honor! That's pretty awesome. Is it that you wanted your future kids to be the original namesake?

I think I'm hurting more because I wanted my future kid to be the original namesake.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:51 pm

That's more about what other people think rather than how you feel.

This shouldn't be about you, but rather about your brother.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by jennab85 Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:08 pm

CeCe wrote:
    jennab85 wrote:

What other people think or know will not bring you any kind of comfort anyway. Although you confuse me when you say you're still grieving but have moved on...

Grief is a process that requires the passage of time. It's just the amount that varies. But someone naming their child after him doesn't take anything away from you. It doesn't matter whether or not other people care about the name of a potential future child. The tribute to your brother isn't altered by that.

What I meant is that when most people lose a loved one they never get over the loss, but they managed to move onto the other things in their life even though they will always grieve in some way.

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 pm

I mean no disrespect, because I can imagine how painful it must be to lose a sibling, but I think you are being a bit petty and selfish about the whole thing. If someone cared about your brother enough to name their child after him, you should feel honored by their devotion to his memory, not slighted because they beat you to it. He may have been your brother, but clearly he touched more than just you and your family, and that's a good thing.

Your wanting your future child to be the 'original' namesake has as much to do with vanity as it does homage. What's more is that someone else had an actual child and named it after your brother…the son you're planning to have someday is just theoretical at this point. Who knows when or if that will even happen. Once again jennab85, I mean no disrespect, but I really think this is all very egocentric on your end. No one has taken your brothers memory or identity from you; you don't own it.

If someday you're blessed with a baby boy, your giving him your brothers name after someone else did it first will in no way negate your dedication, or make it any less meaningful or significant.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:29 pm

co-signs ^^ What Nhaiyel Said
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:16 pm

I agree with what others have said here. It says something that other people want to honour your brother and name a son after him. Names aren't trademarked and it won't mean anything less to your family if there is already someone else in that family by the same name. Heck - amongst the cousins and second cousins in my family, there are three Michaels and then I have an uncle on each of side of my Mom's family named Michael, or had great uncles, I suppose, as both have passed away. I still use the nickname for my one Uncle Mike - there's Uncle Mike and Uncle Mike with the combine.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:... Heck - amongst the cousins and second cousins in my family, there are three Michaels ...
    I have a second cousin with my exact first and last name. We discovered each other when he read an article I wrote in a nudist mag and contacted the publisher. (Made another nudist family article when I visited him and his partner.)
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:19 am

Nhaiyel wrote:I mean no disrespect, because I can imagine how painful it must be to lose a sibling, but I think you are being a bit petty and selfish about the whole thing. If someone cared about your brother enough to name their child after him, you should feel honored by their devotion to his memory, not slighted because they beat you to it. He may have been your brother, but clearly he touched more than just you and your family, and that's a good thing.

Your wanting your future child to be the 'original' namesake has as much to do with vanity as it does homage. What's more is that someone else had an actual child and named it after your brother…the son you're planning to have someday is just theoretical at this point. Who knows when or if that will even happen. Once again jennab85, I mean no disrespect, but I really think this is all very egocentric on your end. No one has taken your brothers memory or identity from you; you don't own it.

If someday you're blessed with a baby boy, your giving him your brothers name after someone else did it first will in no way negate your dedication, or make it any less meaningful or significant.

No need to say anything else.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:01 am