CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Nhaiyel
GrayWolf
AtownPeep
Shale
Alan Smithee
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
jennab85
12 posters

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ...

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ... - Page 2 Empty Re: Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ...

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:20 am

My aunt named her twins after me and gave them my exact first and middle name. My mother didn't trip.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ... - Page 2 Empty Re: Should a person planning to name their child after a deceased friend ...

Post by Chris Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:21 am

My condolences for your lost Jenna, but I think that I am going to have to side with everyone else. I don't think it was necessary for this person to consult the family. The relationship they had with your brother, as well as the name that they chose to give their child, was completely personal. The way the question was phrased, it almost seems like you thought that they should ask permission, and that your family should have the authority to say no. I can't agree. I will say, though, that their naming their child after your brother should have *no* bearing on you doing the same thing someday, and when that happens it will be about the relationship you had with him, and the one you'll have with your child, which will be none of the other persons business.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:02 am

Chris wrote:My condolences for your lost Jenna, but I think that I am going to have to side with everyone else. I don't think it was necessary for this person to consult the family. The relationship they had with your brother, as well as the name that they chose to give their child, was completely personal. The way the question was phrased, it almost seems like you thought that they should ask permission, and that your family should have the authority to say no. I can't agree. I will say, though, that their naming their child after your brother should have *no* bearing on you doing the same thing someday, and when that happens it will be about the relationship you had with him, and the one you'll have with your child, which will be none of the other persons business.

clapping
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Had you been pregnant at the same time, it would have been ideal for them to discuss it with you. But, really they probably didn't think they were slighting anyone.

But I do see how you have a sour taste in your mouth as you had a certain perspective on it, and now you won't be the first to name a possible future son after your brother. But I am guessing that when and if you do, it is going to mean volumes more to your family anyway, than this unrelated named child.

Think about when your son would be ten years old and things he does remind your family of your beautiful brother. It is all going to mean so much, you won't even be thinking about the other child named after him, but be so glad that you did it.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:25 am

RedBedroom wrote:Had you been pregnant at the same time, it would have been ideal for them to discuss it with you. But, really they probably didn't think they were slighting anyone.

But I do see how you have a sour taste in your mouth as you had a certain perspective on it, and now you won't be the first to name a possible future son after your brother. But I am guessing that when and if you do, it is going to mean volumes more to your family anyway, than this unrelated named child.

Think about when your son would be ten years old and things he does remind your family of your beautiful brother. It is all going to mean so much, you won't even be thinking about the other child named after him, but be so glad that you did it.

My situation is complicated as a I mentioned above because the person who named their child after my brother is the nephew of my aunt by marriage. So people and my family will always be thinking of the other child.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 10:25 pm