CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

The Tree of Life

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

The Tree of Life Empty The Tree of Life

Post by Shale Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:10 pm

The Tree of Life
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    June 19, 2011

This was my second choice of a movie this week. Saw the trailers and it looked like an interesting story of a struggle between a boy and his dad set in the time of my own childhood of the 1950s.

And, being Fathers' Day I decided to risk the forecast rain and bike to the Cinema. The good news is the rain didn't come until I got back home. The bad news is, I did not care for the movie at all.

It is an art film almost like some of those from Europe that Americans can't understand. Now, I like art and can easily spend 2 hours and 10 minutes in the National Gallery of Art, but I was actually expecting a movie, not a view of the beautiful cosmos from the Hubble telescope then from the macrocosm to the microcosm of one celled animals then to evolving to dinosaurs to ... This movie literally starts at the beginning. Well, eventually we get to a story told in vignettes with little dialogue, lots of inaudible whispers (good thing about European art films - they have English subtitles) and no real plot or timeline.

Without words, we learn of a family tragedy, by a mother (Jessica Chastain) receiving a telegram. We see the effects on her oldest adult son Jack (Sean Penn) of his youngest brother's death. (We don't see much of Penn acting and I don't recall any actual lines).

The Tree of Life 76860_gal

From there we flashback to a beginning when Jack is born and his father Mr. O'Brian (Brad Pitt) is pleased.

The Tree of Life 75212_gal

But dad is a no-nonsense, war vet, fifties kinda guy and there is soon friction with his oldest son (Hunter McCracken) as he runs a strict household. We go thru the arrival of his other two brothers, the one with the most interaction being the middle brother (Laramie Eppler) with the usual sibling rivalry and bonding.

The Tree of Life 76857_gal

There is a statement made in the movie about "The way of nature or the way of grace - you have to choose which one you will follow." That point is manifested in the father who sternly teaches his boys survival in the natural world and the mother who shows them grace - acceptance of her boys unconditionally.

Even with as a brutish domineering father and husband Mr. O'Brien still has love for his boys and does show affection.

The Tree of Life 73053_gal

And even tho his wife is subdued like wives were in that time she (like my own mother) did fight back when pushed too far.

Cinematography was excellent; imagery was compelling. The fact that I was there, a boy in the South in the fifties I could almost smell the damp pine woods and dusty old buildings. I could feel the dirt and sweat worked up in play by crew-cut boys back then.

But as fine as it may have been in the opinions of critics (86% aggregate reviewers liked it on Rottentomatoes - 67% of audiences did) I didn't really enjoy it. Rene Rodriguez of The Miami Herald gave this movie three stars out of four, which I glanced at in passing and went to see it.

Ironically this is the same reviewer who gave Green Lantern one star, a movie I enjoyed exponentially better. Proves one thing - movie enjoyment is strictly a personal matter.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

The Tree of Life Empty Re: The Tree of Life

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 am

This did look interesting but I ain't gonna wanna see a bunch of nature CGI. If the story's weak, I'll likely skip or wait to see it at a cheaper price. It's a shame, it looked like a good character movie and coming-of-age story. Alas, it seems like it ends up being a little too artsy for it's own good, based on what I've read.
    JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by JWF Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Have you ever questioned the existence of faith. Or the creation of the universe. What is true and what is meaningful.

Very rarely are we privileged to see a a film that leaves us in such a captivating state of mind. "The Tree of Life" offers many potent images and scenes that will remain long after the film ends. And if your like me a sincere reflection and meaningful debate. You may not perceive or grasp each concept or figure (and I didn't), but it's not important. What's important is the seed the film has planted.

This is director Terrence Malick's 5th film in almost 40 years. It won this years top award at Cannes (Palm d'Or). This subjective, beautiful and poetic film is unlike any film you may have ever seen (including 2001: A Space Odyssey). The pure beauty is so stunning.. Regardless of your beliefs it's a film that should be seen. It's almost impossible to describe it in words.

Does all life begin at the origin of the universe. It's up to you to see the connection with a 1950's Waco, Texas family. The film follows a cast-iron strict father (Brad Pitt). A passive and almost saintly mother (Jessica Chastain). And their 3 sons, the oldest being 12, from childhood innocence to adulthood. It's the oldest and disillusioned/tormented son we follow to adulthood (Sean Penn).

About 15 minutes into the film we witness the most beautiful 20 minutes of our creation. Extremely visual. With an imaginative music score, cinematography, set design and editing, which should be awarded.

And as an added feature you will witness Brad Pitt's greatest performance, to date.

The Tree of Life is miles from what you normal view during this time of the year. Unfortunately, most will probably go next door to see one of those blockbusters.

A+ (masterpiece--imo)

Jack

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:06 am