CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Single parents dating...should they have to introduce their new love interest to their child's other parent?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Single parents dating...should they have to introduce their new love interest to their child's other parent? Empty Single parents dating...should they have to introduce their new love interest to their child's other parent?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:33 pm

What do you think the rules on this should be? Should single parents have to introduce their new love interest to the other parent of the child?

I think that a parent should be able to insist on a meeting of their ex's new love if things get serious. Every parent has a right to know who is taking care of their child.

Though, I think many times people demand on the meeting, but only to mark their territory, so-to-speak. I had a friend like that. She practically wanted to meet every girl he even took out for dinner!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Single parents dating...should they have to introduce their new love interest to their child's other parent? Empty Re: Single parents dating...should they have to introduce their new love interest to their child's other parent?

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Well, if it does get serious and the other parent is in the same vicinity, I don't see why not. But for some people that doesn't work. My co-worker who passed away back in January, she married her husband who had a 5 yr old daughter and she never met the mother of his daughter and the daughter is 10. I don't know why, but I guess there would've been too much conflict.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Single parents dating...should they have to introduce their new love interest to their child's other parent? Empty Re: Single parents dating...should they have to introduce their new love interest to their child's other parent?

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:38 am

Should single parents have to introduce their new love interest to the other parent of the child?

No, not as a rule. Especially your friend who wanted to meet every casual date. If the relationship gets serious, I don't think it's unreasonable for the ex to want to meet the new partner but I don't think it's their right. Reasonable people would work something out. Sure, I don't want my ex dating a pedophile but is that something I can judge from one meeting? I monitor the situation through my child when she's with me. Some divorced couples hardly have any contact after the split as it is. One of them is supposed to arrange a play date for their ex?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:10 pm

I agree, not as a rule. If the other parent requests to know more, then the dating parent should comply....but I don't think the former needs to interview their ex's new lover or give them the seal of approval before the child comes around them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:47 pm