CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Cowboys and Aliens

JWF
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 4

Cowboys and Aliens Empty Cowboys and Aliens

Post by JWF Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Perhaps, one of most ridiculous plots ever scripted. The blending of Sci-fi and Westerns....which if you don't take too seriously....can offer 1 hour and 58 minutes of frolicsome fun.

The story take place in circa 1875, in a desert type New Mexico town. Our turn-good hero Jake (Daniel Craig) wakes up with no memory, but with a mysterious iron bracelet around his wrist. It must have some magical power, otherwise why can't he remove it. To make matters worse he learns that he's wanted for murder. It doesn't stop there. Every Western must have merciless cattleman (Harrison Ford), who's gold was stolen. But there a bigger enemy to contend with. A spaceship that swoops up town people. Well, why not have Craig and Ford join forces

There some good visual effects, but it's the characters you like the most. It's not a John Wayne piece of work, although his grandson appears

B- (2 1/2 stars)

Jack
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Cowboys and Aliens Empty Re: Cowboys and Aliens

Post by Cheaps Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:59 pm

I seen previews and the movie looks dumb to me... certainly won't be seeing it anytime.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:14 pm

cheaps wrote:I seen previews and the movie looks dumb to me... certainly won't be seeing it anytime.

^THIS, everything's got to have an alien in it now, they made Battleship a movie because it's the navy going up against the aliens, what the hell? Won't be seeing that one either.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Cowboys & Aliens
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    July 29, 2011

I've been looking forward to this movie for some time, just for the concept. What if, instead of space invaders coming in our present time, they came in the late 19th Century, the time of the Old West in the US. Had to see this movie.

Even after reading Rene Rodriguez' pan of it in The Miami Herald today, where it got 1 star out of four and a headline "You'll want to beam right outta here." Well, I still went to see it and really had fun with it. This is one of those movies that critics find fault with and audiences enjoy. (Aggregate reviews on Rottentomatoes; only 44% of critics liked it but 75% of audiences did).

As seen in those trailers, a disheveled guy (Daniel Craig) wakes up in the middle of nowhere very confused, with a bleeding wound on his side and wearing a big metal band on his arm. He doesn't know who he is or how he got there or what the metal band is about, but it won't come off.

Cowboys and Aliens 71700_gal

However, he is a good fighter and quickly dispatches 3 unsavory guys who try to kill him. He gets a few coins, some new duds a horse and a dog to go to the nearest town, where he gets the wound sewed up.

Up to this point we are still in a typical Western, where the spoiled kid of a wealthy and ornery old cattleman, Col. Dollarhyde (Harrison Ford) is shooting up the town. Stranger takes the kid down and the Sheriff arrests the kid and Stranger, who happens to be Jake Lonergan a notorious outlaw. Dollarhyde comes in demanding his kid back and the outlaw who stole some of his gold.

While this Western showdown is happening, lights come out of the sky and flying machines start blasting the town. Jake takes one down with the metal band on his arm, which became activated on their arrival.

Cowboys and Aliens 71697_gal

During the attack, the flying demons were lassoing townsfolk and taking them away. Next morning a posse sets out to find them and everyone has forgotten any old feuds with their common goal.

Cowboys and Aliens 78750_gal

Oh, there is a mysterious woman (Olivia Wilde) who has a keen interest in Jake, trying to find out what he knows about where the people were taken.

Cowboys and Aliens 71694_gal

There is a lot more to this story that I can't tell because it unfolds nicely and everything is revealed. There are also Indians but I guess Cowboys & Indians & Aliens woulda been a bit much. This movie is taken from a graphic novel. Treat it as such and enjoy. I enjoyed the whole premise and how it played out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:51 am