CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
femme fatale
Hyacinth Girl
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
RobbieFTW
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Supernova
GrayWolf
CeCe
Chris
15 posters

18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children Empty 18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children

Post by Chris Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:23 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/bates-family-20-praying-children/story?id=14359053

18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children

By JUJU CHANG (@JujuChangABC) and CLAIRE PEDERSEN
    Aug. 23, 2011

Despite already having 18 biological kids, one Tennessee couple says they are praying for more children.

The Bates family lives in a five-bedroom house outside of Knoxville, Tenn., with their 18 children. Zach is their oldest at age 22, and Judson is their youngest at 11 months.

"We never planned on having 18 children," Gil Bates said.

"I feel like together, in marriage, we began to grow in this direction," his wife Kelly Bates added.

The Bates are evangelical Christians who do not believe in the use of birth control. Kelly, a 44-year-old stay-at-home mom, has been pregnant every year for the past 22 years -- which some might consider to be a medical marvel -- and doesn't shy away from the thought of having more children.

"Whatever the Lord desires," she said. "We decided, a long time ago, to let the Lord decide how many children we would have."

"It would be like saying more blessings," said Gil, a 46-year-old tree surgeon.

Watch the full story on "Primetime Nightline's (Extra)Ordinary Family" special, airing on Wednesday, Aug. 24 at 10/9c on ABC

Kelly Bates has endured labor and delivery 18 separate times, no twins and no c-sections. To top it off, fourteen of those births were at home, meaning no epidurals or anesthesia.

"Midwives don't usually administer that," she said.

With 20 people living under one roof, the Bates children have to share everything from their parents' attention to their bedrooms. But none of the kids mind -- in fact they like it.

Today, the Bates brood includes Zach, 22; Michaella, 21; Erin, 20; Lawson, 19; Nathan, 18; Alyssa, 16; Tori, 15; Trace, 14; Carlin, 13; Josie, 12; Katie, 10; Jackson, 9; Warden, 8; Isaiah, 6; Addallee, 5; Ellie, 4; Callie, 2; and finally, Judson, 11 months.

"They are all so different," Kelly said. "No two are alike."

Although Gil and Kelly Bates say having any more children is in God's hands, there's no denying that the whole family wants more kids. Between Ellie and Callie (kids number 16 and 17) there was a short stint when Kelly wasn't getting pregnant. Kelly said the kids were scared of the thought of not having any more siblings and turned to prayer.

"The children kept saying, 'Mom, is there another baby yet?' And they were getting so anxious," Kelly said. "A couple of the children said, 'Mom, can we pray that God will give us more children?' And so we said, 'sure, you're welcome to pray, but just know that whatever God's will is, we want to be content.'"

The children wanted to have more babies so badly, Gil said, that they even asked if they could fast.

"Some of them said, 'Can we fast if the Lord would give us more children?'" he said. "They fasted and prayed."

But Kelly's body has changed with age and she is heading into the outer reaches of her child-bearing years. She had two miscarriages before her last two successful births with Callie and Judson. A low progesterone level was making it more difficult to get sustain a pregnancy.

"Conception takes place, but the uterus wall is not softened so the baby can implant," Gil said. "And so it was causing us to lose the baby."

Kelly started a hormone therapy to maximize her chances of carrying to term. They had Callie and then Judson, their youngest. Although they don't believe in using birth control to prevent pregnancy, Kelly said using medicine to help keep a pregnancy was a different matter all together.

"For us, that would be like, that baby is already alive. It is a life," she said. "We don't try to prevent or to promote. We just want to trust God. But at the same time, if there's already a life living, we don't want to deny medical help to a baby that's in trouble."

All 18 births have gone smoothly without complications, except for one: Addallee, baby number 15.

"Addalee is our special little baby because she almost didn't make it," Kelly said. "Addallee stopped breathing and her heart stopped."

Little Addallee was rushed to the hospital after she was born prematurely and spent 17 days there -- a very expensive hospital stay.

"We didn't have insurance," Gil said. "We negotiated with the insurance, with the hospitals, and I said, 'I know insurance companies don't pay full price, could we set up a payment plan based on what you would feel is a justified -- a fair price.' They graciously worked with us."

Today, Addallee, whom everyone calls "Addee" has slight hearing problems but is otherwise healthy and the Bates continue on without any health insurance.

"For the last 10 children, we have not had health insurance," Gil said. "When there's a medical emergency, we just go to the doctor and America's been the greatest health care in the world. When you walk in the emergency room, I don't care what your status of living, they give you the best care possible."

The Bates' pre-natal care is provided free-of-charge at a small Christian clinic, and earlier this year, they got the news they were pregnant with baby number 19.

"Everything looked good. We even saw a heartbeat," Kelly said.

But eight weeks into the pregnancy, the baby died -- a devastating loss for the family. Kelly's two previous miscarriages occurred just a few days after a positive pregnancy test, well before they could see a heart. The couple later named the baby Zion after the hymn, "Marching to Zion."

"I know life begins at conception, even though I don't see it," Gil said. "I know it's a life according to what the Bible teaches, but having seen life -- we'd seen the heartbeat, and we saw the little baby moving -- it becomes so real."

It was six weeks before the couple was able to start trying again, a process that required careful medical guidance from their OB/GYN. Gil and Kelly say their main concern is being able to conceive again.

"I can't think of a better prayer team that I'd rather have praying for us," Kelly said.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children Empty Re: 18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children

Post by CeCe Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:26 pm

"For the last 10 children, we have not had health insurance," Gil said. "When there's a medical emergency, we just go to the doctor and America's been the greatest health care in the world. When you walk in the emergency room, I don't care what your status of living, they give you the best care possible."

Am I reading this right? blank stare @ you
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children Empty Re: 18 Kids and Counting: Gil and Kelly Bates Say Their Family Is Praying for More Children

Post by Chris Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:31 pm

CeCe wrote:

Am I reading this right? blank stare @ you

I know, CeCe. 'God Bless the USA,' right?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:33 pm

Chris wrote:

I know, CeCe. 'God Bless the USA,' right?

Wow sad
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:34 pm

I shudder to think about what that canal looks like.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:22 pm

These people are parasites. "The lord" needs to tell them to stop because this country can't afford this much longer. These people are the reason healthcare, even basic healthcare is out of reach for a growing number of people who can't afford the premiums or the medications they need anymore. They can't be oblivious to the fact that everyone else is paying for their "best care possible". And at ER costs. pissed
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:05 pm

I just have to ask...I know in previous times like 100 years ago and so, having a large number of kids was a must because at least half would die out before adulthood and some heirs were needed to take on the family name, but in today's world where this is not the case, WHAT drives a woman to have 18 kids, and for that matter HOW does she without it killing her?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:11 pm

I would hate to see their therapist bills.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:22 pm

I couldn't. Just couldn't.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I would hate to see their therapist bills.

Those people dont believe in therapy. They believe in attics.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:

Those people dont believe in therapy. They believe in attics.

Is that with or without flowers?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 pm

"Whatever the Lord desires," she said. "We decided, a long time ago, to let the Lord decide how many children we would have."

That's just dandy but the Lord isn't the one paying for their medical care.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:"Whatever the Lord desires," she said. "We decided, a long time ago, to let the Lord decide how many children we would have."

That's just dandy but the Lord isn't the one paying for their medical care.

co-signs
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 pm

They come off as pod people.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Chris wrote:They come off as pod people.

Eh?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:20 pm

I think those that come off as pod people are the people who got a problem with these families. It seems like all the "don't judge me" people are out in full force to judge this family. And for all the hypothetical problems of what they are doing, they seem to be proving them all wrong. It seems to me that people love to down this family for having a lot of kids but they don't really seem to have much base for doing so. It's like seeing this big family makes some kind of fire in them. It's definitely amusing.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:18 pm

There has to be a balance. You can't have a litter your entire life & expect the public to maintain their care. I believe in helping people out but there has to be a limit. When your last TEN kids have never had health insurance & you use the ER as their family doctor, you can't afford them. Neither can the rest of us. Help, yes. Maintain your new kid every 9 months, HELL TO THE NO.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:20 pm

CeCe wrote:There has to be a balance. You can't have a litter your entire life & expect the public to maintain their care. I believe in helping people out but there has to be a limit. When your last TEN kids have never had health insurance & you use the ER as their family doctor, you can't afford them. Neither can the rest of us. Help, yes. Maintain your new kid every 9 months, HELL TO THE NO.

I believe it's "Hell to the Nah" big grin
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

I believe it's "Hell to the Nah" big grin

That too!!! hehe
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:34 pm

GrayWolf wrote:I shudder to think about what that canal looks like.

Yeah, the babies probably just walk out once they're done gestating, by now, it's so big. . .
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

Yeah, the babies probably just walk out once they're done gestating, by now, it's so big. . .

OK. I'll play. How big is it? How big is it? How big is it?
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

OK. I'll play. How big is it? How big is it? How big is it?

She better be careful not to ride on any bumpy roads during pregnancy--any fetuses inside might get a taste of what bungee-jumping is like, while they're still attached to the umbilical cord. big grin

I'm actually reminded of a former co-worker, from a number of years ago, who was pregnant and had a rambunctious 3 year old son at the time. Her husband used to tell the son, that if he didn't behave himself, once the new baby came out of mommy, he'd have to go back in! Totally freaked the kid out, but it was hilarious! big grin
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:47 pm

The Bates are evangelical Christians who do not believe in the use of birth control.

At least she wasn't been pregnant for the last 22 years because she was keeping her diaphram thumbtacked to the headboard.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

At least she wasn't been pregnant for the last 22 years because she was keeping her diaphram thumbtacked to the headboard.

It wouldn't do any good anyway if she had. Everytime I did it I got knocked up anyway.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Those people are crazy as sin. How you gonna have 18 kids and then say you want more? It's like they are forming some sort of militia to further promote their antiquated ideas about life in general. With that many kids, some of them are bound to be neglected or ignored at a certain point because how can you see them all at once? You can't. Oh and yeah, that tunnel is a canyon now. Wouldn't surprise me if there may be 1 or 2 might hiding out in there unaccounted for.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:59 am