Respect your elders Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Respect your elders

Go down 
+7
RedBedroom
Shale
CeCe
Bluesmama
Nystyle709
Hyacinth Girl
Chris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Respect your elders Empty
PostSubject: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 9:15 am

What do you think about the phrase 'Respect your elders?'

Do you feel that by virtue of just being older that people automatically deserve more reverence and/or respect than someone who is younger?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 11:15 am

I think everyone should respect everyone else, no matter what age, with "respect" having a broad definition of being cordial, civil, understanding and forgiving, among many others.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:10 pm

I don't think that's what "respect your elders" mean. It's not automatically respecting someone JUST because they're older. Its respecting someone who is wiser and just usually is older than you. Yes, I respect my elders and I watch what I say in the presence of old people because I know they come from a different time. There is a time and place for everything.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 pm

I work a lot with the public, and many times I have wanted to drop-kick an elder for being crotchety or whiny. When it comes to people getting on my nerves, I don't discriminate. Respect your elders 273237
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 2:58 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
I don't think that's what "respect your elders" mean. It's not automatically respecting someone JUST because they're older. Its respecting someone who is wiser and just usually is older than you. Yes, I respect my elders and I watch what I say in the presence of old people because I know they come from a different time. There is a time and place for everything.
This is certainly what it should mean. I think there are some people, particularly older ones who have tried to turn it into some kind of entitlement. I see it a lot among the WWII era older people. Hoping the boomers will be the ones to change that. Respect is deserved when it's earned & not an automatic process.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
yeah right

CeCe wrote:

... I think there are some people, particularly older ones who have tried to turn it into some kind of entitlement. I see it a lot among the WWII era older people. Hoping the boomers will be the ones to change that. Respect is deserved when it's earned & not an automatic process.
IDK. We'll see when we get old.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

yeah right

Well, its not like you would know right? Nobody "respects" you enough to watch what they say around you. At least I don't.... big grin
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 pm

I live by the rule. I get so frustrated when younger people don't do things like offering their chair to elders. That stuff was really huge to my parents when they were raising me.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 4:30 am

I don't think every old person deserves respect. If said old person is an idiot or proves themselves to be worthy of contempt, then respect goes out the window...but in general I say yes, I do think younger people should respect their elders, if only because they have lived longer and experienced more things.
Back to top Go down
FireIce918
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
FireIce918

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 2:09 am

I somewhat agree. For the most part, they're richer in experience and knowledge, and have somewhat earned respect because they've lasted so long.

Of course there are some 80 year olds who just need to be cussed out, but sometimes I give them more leeway because of their age. They're set in their ways, might be a touch senile, and need a bit more patience sometimes. It's more about tolerance than respect. The thing is, they can remember what it's like to be young, but young people have no idea what it feels to be elderly (unless you're 26 and go to the 18 and up club after a few years hiatus...).
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 pm

FireIce918 wrote:
... The thing is, they can remember what it's like to be young, but young people have no idea what it feels to be elderly ...

This is spot on. I feel it all the time and enjoy connecting with young ppl (OK, gutter minds - it ain't all about sex blank stare @ you) Traveling with my grandson at 14-17 was really fun and I actually can relate to young ppl because tho the times and toys have changed a 17-year-old boy in 1962 is the same as a 17-year-old boy in 2011.

And even tho I can vicariously connect with a younger person, I do have the decades of experience of what worked for me and what failed. That is the part that could be useful to a younger person who wants to listen.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Impact wrote:
I don't think every old person deserves respect. If said old person is an idiot or proves themselves to be worthy of contempt, then respect goes out the window...but in general I say yes, I do think younger people should respect their elders, if only because they have lived longer and experienced more things.

IA with this.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 1:50 pm

Respect should be earned. I try to give it from the start until the person shows me they're unworthy. If respect equals tolerance then sometimes I'll cut some slack but I'm not kissing their ass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Respect your elders   Respect your elders Empty

Back to top Go down

Respect your elders
Page 1 of 1