Respect for the dead Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Respect for the dead

Go down 
+7
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
TSJFan4Ever
Bluesmama
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
wants2laugh
Supernova
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Respect for the dead Empty
PostSubject: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:04 am

You always hear don't speak ill of the dead, show some respect for the dead, etc., but what're your thoughts about it?

I respect them enough not to give them my presence more than a couple of days a year. But when we went out this Memorial Day to put the marker on my grandfather's grave...I never knew him but I knew about him, I went out there, put the flag in and 'greeted' him if you will, with a 'hello Grandpa, you bastard', and even for our family it was NOT a complimentary gesture. Were he still alive I would've said the same thing and given the way he treated my mother I don't think it's any less than he would deserve.

You know, they're dead, they can't hear you anyway, so what does it matter? Unless you'd be worried they'd come back from the dead and beat the hell out of you. Or like Madea said in one play, she told her daughter Cora if she put a bra on Madea when she died, she would come back as a ghost and do a drive-by. laughing

But you know, if they were nice in life, then yes I say show some damn respect, but if they were bastards in life, I'm not going to pretend their dying changed anything. Where's everyone else stand on this one?
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 am

People have a tendency to glorify the dead by only remembering the good times. My father died when i was three and i know only what people have told me. There are no videos or tape recordings of what he sounded like or his sense of humor. For all i know, he could have been a vicious jerk. I really have no feelings toward him at all.

As far as people I did know, I respect the person they were if they deserved it. The nasty people arent even worth my time to think about, let alone get my respect.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:23 am

There was a thread about this a while ago. I'm of the mindset that dead people... are dead. And if they were assholes, there's no reason to think otherwise just because they managed to make it to death just like everybody else eventually will.

Somebody accused me of not believing in karma for thinking that. And I believe it was on this board.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:44 am

I have to ask Supernova: WHY do you go to the gravesite???? Going because you "should" is certainly not the right reason for you.

No, the dead are not there. But it's where the remains of loved ones were last placed, and it gives others something tangible to connect to (grave). It's the final "home". When I was in New Orleans in April we visited the old cemeteries there, and despite the passage of time, many of those old tired, often crumbling gravesites are still remembered by the descendants.

But graveyards are full of bones from dirtbags in life. If they did absolutely nothing for someone when they were alive then there's no point in going through the efforts of going along. Let it go.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 3:52 am

(Oh!) Rob Petrie wrote:
There was a thread about this a while ago. I'm of the mindset that dead people... are dead. And if they were assholes, there's no reason to think otherwise just because they managed to make it to death just like everybody else eventually will.

Somebody accused me of not believing in karma for thinking that. And I believe it was on this board.

Maybe because karma usually involves reincarnation, and you said dead is dead. If you dont believe in reincarnation, then you wouldnt believe that the next life rewards you or punishes you depending on your actions in this life. Just a thought
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 5:36 am

I can totally see where you're coming from, Supernova and I agree. I can see being respectful around people who truly loved that person, but if the dead person wasn't a good person, I'm not going to sit around and pretend he or she was.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 8:53 am

The energy you waste speaking ill of the dead is just that.....a waste of time and energy. And if they were such a horrible person, you're doing nothing but keeping their horrible memory alive. There is no point.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 8:57 am

I don't believe in respecting somebody just because they are dead. If they were a truly bad person, death won't change that. However, I also think people have a tendency to be judgmental too and often blur the lines between somebody who was truly bad and merely somebody who they didn't like/get along with.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 am

Bluesmama wrote:
I have to ask Supernova: WHY do you go to the gravesite???? Going because you "should" is certainly not the right reason for you.

Long story short, my older sister started leaving the Memorial markers at the graves, and she's not able to do it now so we mainly do it for her. We managed to get the markers back that she put out so we can just take the same ones out for the occasion and get them back before somebody steals them.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 pm

wants2laugh wrote:
People have a tendency to glorify the dead by only remembering the good times. My father died when i was three and i know only what people have told me. There are no videos or tape recordings of what he sounded like or his sense of humor. For all i know, he could have been a vicious jerk. I really have no feelings toward him at all.

As far as people I did know, I respect the person they were if they deserved it. The nasty people arent even worth my time to think about, let alone get my respect.

That's the weird thing. Death seems to turn people into something different. Borderline saints sometimes. It's just odd.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:14 pm

I don't believe in making someone, in death, out to be better than they were in life; but when someone less than savory passes on, I see no point in wasting time in deliberately slurring their character. At that point it's just time for the living to move on from them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:15 pm

In my family I think fondly of the departed who brought joy to my life and don't give a second thought to those who didn't.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 pm

I don't think it's necessary to talk shit about them just for the sake of talking shit. But if the subject comes up it doesn't need to be sugarcoated either. I've seen extremes on both sides. There's a balance, I think.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 3:43 am

I don't think people need to "respect" the dead per se....it's more a case of not DISrespecting those who aren't around to defend themselves against their tirades. If somebody who died was a dick in life, then reconcile that that was the way they were and move on....they can't hurt you now.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Supernova wrote:
You always hear don't speak ill of the dead, show some respect for the dead, etc., but what're your thoughts about it?

I respect them enough not to give them my presence more than a couple of days a year. But when we went out this Memorial Day to put the marker on my grandfather's grave...I never knew him but I knew about him, I went out there, put the flag in and 'greeted' him if you will, with a 'hello Grandpa, you bastard', and even for our family it was NOT a complimentary gesture. Were he still alive I would've said the same thing and given the way he treated my mother I don't think it's any less than he would deserve.

You know, they're dead, they can't hear you anyway, so what does it matter? Unless you'd be worried they'd come back from the dead and beat the hell out of you. Or like Madea said in one play, she told her daughter Cora if she put a bra on Madea when she died, she would come back as a ghost and do a drive-by. laughing

But you know, if they were nice in life, then yes I say show some damn respect, but if they were bastards in life, I'm not going to pretend their dying changed anything. Where's everyone else stand on this one?

If that really was him considering what happened in Jersey.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Respect for the dead   Respect for the dead Empty

Back to top Go down

Respect for the dead
Page 1 of 1