CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Bluesmama
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
7 posters

spoiled children

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

spoiled children Empty spoiled children

Post by Tony Marino Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 pm

Why is it that I constantly hear "I want my child to have the best" from parents instead of "I want my child to earn the best?"
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

spoiled children Empty Re: spoiled children

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:54 pm

Not the same thing. There is nothing wrong with wanting your child to have the best of anything or even giving it to them. You just have to make sure you teach them values along with it. And its not always about being materialistic.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Not the same thing. There is nothing wrong with wanting your child to have the best of anything or even giving it to them. You just have to make sure you teach them values along with it. And its not always about being materialistic.

spoiled children 35166
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Bluesmama wrote:

spoiled children 35166

Ditto.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:28 pm

I think it's because people are just naturally inclined to be protective of their children and to want a good (or better) life for them. From there, some kids get spoiled by the good intentions of their parents.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:44 am

Nhaiyel wrote:I think it's because people are just naturally inclined to be protective of their children and to want a good (or better) life for them. From there, some kids get spoiled by the good intentions of their parents.

co-signs
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:47 am

I agree with what Tony is getting at. In fact, I almost posted something similar a while back when I got to thinking about how kids get "stuff" all year long. When I was growing up, I got "stuff" on Christmas and birthdays.

I recall wanting a fan for my bedroom. I mentioned it and it was a big deal to get something when it wasn't my birthday or Christmas. And that was a friggin' fan!

Kids today get video games and whatever else "just because."

One of my son's close friends gets VERY expensive stuff on a regular basis. His dad took a great paying job that keeps him out of state most of the year. So, the parents are totally lavishing him out of guilt. I am really disappointed in my son how jealous of that he is.

So, a few weeks ago, my son's dad was out of town for one night for work on a Tuesday night. Wednesday, my son wanted to go to McDonald's for dinner with friends. I said no because Dad's coming home and we are going to spend the evening together. Well, two days later, the friend's dad came home for nine days after being gone four months. The friend actually asked to come over that night after school. He didn't miss his dad.

Granted, the dad may be a jerk or something, but the lesson I tried to teach my son with that is that giving the kid all those gifts out of their guilt does not breed anything good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:38 am