CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
AtownPeep
Forgiveness Man
Chris
Supernova
DarkOblivion
kinetic
10 posters

If homosexuality could be "treated" prenatally

kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 19

If homosexuality could be "treated" prenatally Empty If homosexuality could be "treated" prenatally

Post by kinetic Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:47 pm

If medical science discovered a way of foretelling whether or not your unborn child will most likely be homosexual, and if that there were a way of "treating" it in utero (via prenatal pills and vitamins, etc.), would you do it?
    DarkOblivion
    DarkOblivion
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

If homosexuality could be "treated" prenatally Empty Re: If homosexuality could be "treated" prenatally

Post by DarkOblivion Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:21 am

I think most people would, which is why such a process will never happen. Every liberal civil rights and gay watchdog group would declare open war on such a thing, and browbeat, pressure and blackmail every one of its allies (close or distant) into helping. That would turn ugly quick.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

If homosexuality could be "treated" prenatally Empty Re: If homosexuality could be "treated" prenatally

Post by Supernova Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:09 am

Hell NO.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:29 am

People need to understand that genes are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The same genes that dictate sexual orientation may also dictate eye sight or motor skills, so anyone who attempted to tamper with one to stop their child from being gay may also be tampering with something else. Just leave it be.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:11 am

I wouldn't try to tamper with my child in the womb. Although this brings up an interesting conflict in the liberal ideology. If you can't change your child but don't want a gay child, do you abort? Some would. It would be interesting to see how the liberals would come to a conclusion that doesn't destroy one side or the other.

But even if it is just tampering with the child, the liberal civil rights activists would really still have a big conflict. If all that people are tampering with is a clump of cells, the liberals would sound even more like double-talkers if they tried to say that people didn't have the right to "choose" what to do with their own bodies in that case.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Chris wrote:People need to understand that genes are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The same genes that dictate sexual orientation may also dictate eye sight or motor skills, so anyone who attempted to tamper with one to stop their child from being gay may also be tampering with someone else. Just leave it be.

Good point. Something to consider.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:I wouldn't try to tamper with my child in the womb. Although this brings up an interesting conflict in the liberal ideology. If you can't change your child but don't want a gay child, do you abort? Some would. It would be interesting to see how the liberals would come to a conclusion that doesn't destroy one side or the other.

But even if it is just tampering with the child, the liberal civil rights activists would really still have a big conflict. If all that people are tampering with is a clump of cells, the liberals would sound even more like double-talkers if they tried to say that people didn't have the right to "choose" what to do with their own bodies in that case.
    Actually, conservatives would be the ones to jump all over a procedure like that (meaning they'd be the ones who'd take advantage of it since most of them don't like gays). And THEY would be the ones to sound like double talkers since they try to reject most things dealing with scientific proof. I think you're reaching with that one. If liberals are the ones who have no problem with aborting, why would you think they'd have a problem with changing the sexuality of a child? 'Liberals' are the ones who are about fully controlling their bodies. We're ALL for science. Don't be trying to bring up an idiotic issue and throw liberals into the mix like they would be the ones having a problem with it. Traditional 'liberal ideology' doesn't point to that. In any case, to answer the question......no I wouldn't.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Chris wrote:People need to understand that genes are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The same genes that dictate sexual orientation may also dictate eye sight or motor skills, so anyone who attempted to tamper with one to stop their child from being gay may also be tampering with something else. Just leave it be.
    Totally agree. I'm all for science typically, but I do feel some things should just be left alone.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:Actually, conservatives would be the ones to jump all over a procedure like that (meaning they'd be the ones who'd take advantage of it since most of them don't like gays). And THEY would be the ones to sound like double talkers since they try to reject most things dealing with scientific proof. I think you're reaching with that one. If liberals are the ones who have no problem with aborting, why would you think they'd have a problem with changing the sexuality of a child? 'Liberals' are the ones who are about fully controlling their bodies. We're ALL for science. Don't be trying to bring up an idiotic issue and throw liberals into the mix like they would be the ones having a problem with it. Traditional 'liberal ideology' doesn't point to that. In any case, to answer the question......no I wouldn't.

Actually, that's not true. Most conservatives would not abort. They'd probably just counsel the child more at a young age. Liberals are the ones who'd get the procedure, cause contrary to popular belief, they are the ones who tend not to like people. And actually, conservatives embrace Science a lot. Liberals tend to make it up. Razz But that's beside the point, this isn't really about embracing science or not. It's about choice in the end. Wink

Why not bring it up? If you could know ahead of time whether or not your kid would be gay, and you believe that you have a right to choose, you might very well consider this procedure. The very idea pits two liberal ideologies against each other. It's hardly idiotic to wonder which side they'd abandon first. Razz Sure, the procedure sounds horrible but then again, wouldn't it be the woman's right to choose to not have a gay child? Whether she aborts of "treats" the child, the logic of "choice" states that it's her right. Women's rights vs. gay rights, tonight at 11. Razz
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Actually, that's not true. Most conservatives would not abort. They'd probably just counsel the child more at a young age. Liberals are the ones who'd get the procedure, cause contrary to popular belief, they are the ones who tend not to like people. And actually, conservatives embrace Science a lot. Liberals tend to make it up. Razz But that's beside the point, this isn't really about embracing science or not. It's about choice in the end. Wink
    That's not what I said silly rabbit. I said most conservatives would clamor for a procedure that would guarantee that their child would not come out gay.

Why not bring it up? If you could know ahead of time whether or not your kid would be gay, and you believe that you have a right to choose, you might very well consider this procedure. The very idea pits two liberal ideologies against each other. It's hardly idiotic to wonder which side they'd abandon first.
    Why the fuck are you bringing up liberals? What do you think the consevatives would say about it? Are you a mind reader? Why do you think liberals would be the only ones who would be against such a procedure when we're typically the ones who are for anything scientific? This would surely fit the protocol of us defending such a thing.

Razz Sure, the procedure sounds horrible but then again, wouldn't it be the woman's right to choose to not have a gay child?
    Yup. Who said it wouldn't?

Whether she aborts of "treats" the child, the logic of "choice" states that it's her right. Women's rights vs. gay rights, tonight at 11. Razz
    LOL, you're a damn clown. You're bringing up shit that has not one thing to do with the other. If 'liberals' are the ones to support the CHOICE, why the fuck would you think they wouldn't support THIS choice? Why are you pulling shit out of your ass? I think you were just trying to start shit.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:36 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    LOL, you're a damn clown. You're bringing up shit that has not one thing to do with the other. If 'liberals' are the ones to support the CHOICE, why the fuck would you think they wouldn't support THIS choice? Why are you pulling shit out of your ass? I think you were just trying to start shit.

I don't think most would. And who knows, liberals might do it so their child doesn't get teased. Or maybe they'll use it the other way and make their child gay so they can look tolerant. Wink

I am not saying they'd be against it, I said there'd be a conflict. Choice and gay rights conflicting, which will emerge victorious? Wink

They would be against this choice because it would be considered homophobic. The point is that they aren't for choice at all; they are for choice when it's convenient for their agendas. This is where their agenda has a conflict WITHIN itself. Hence, the outcome isn't so clear. Do women have the right to not have a gay child or is their choice a homophobic hate crime that needs to be stopped? I think it would be quite divisive. And is you throwing s-bombs and f-bombs around supposed to mean something? Razz

Now I am personally against this, of course.

Last edited by Forgiveness_Man on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 pm

I'm a conversative and I think anybody who's for such a procedure needs to be tarred and feathered and ran out of town on a rail.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 am

kinetic wrote:If medical science discovered a way of foretelling whether or not your unborn child will most likely be homosexual, and if that there were a way of "treating" it in utero (via prenatal pills and vitamins, etc.), would you do it?

Absolutely not. That to me is like "treating" a child that is predicted to be left handed, what difference does it make? I would be much more concerned with the OB staying on top of his or her being born healthy, and doing anything they could to prevent physical/mental ailments.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 pm

NO
    Rule Breaker
    Rule Breaker
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Rule Breaker Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:53 am

The doctors determine that the kid COULD be gay so they give the mother this prenatal drug to take and he turns out straight. How would they even know that it worked? All sounds too "subjective" to me, plus it's not as though being gay is a defect. If anything obstetricians should be letting parents know early on that the baby she's carrying could be either gay, straight or bi as a reminder to not try and force or expect any ONE sexuality on the child as it's being raised.

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:36 am