CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Cheaps
Alan Smithee
Shale
Tony Marino
Marc™
9 posters

When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient Empty When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient

Post by Marc™ Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Am I the only one who finds this silly? When someone goes out of their way to list every aspect of their lineage, no matter how small it is compared to the more dominate. Basically those Tiger Woods types that wanna make sure every strain gets counted.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient Empty Re: When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Lets see......I have Italian, Scicilian, Calabrese, Napoletano....oh sorry big grin
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient Empty Re: When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient

Post by Shale Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:16 pm

I understand that in Tiger's case the Chinese is quite prominent. I know the big "we black folks got dumped" reaction to his acknowledging his entire lineage - but that is a fact and is his right. I support him on it.

Now, I am actually part Choctaw but you would be hard pressed to see it in all the majority European features (No Choctaw relative had this much curly hair all over their body). But, it is there (I think 1/62 since my great-great grandfather Charlie Crane). Still, it is part of my lineage that I know about. (I suspect there could be black somewhere but the family was good about covering that).
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Lets see......I have Italian, Scicilian, Calabrese, Napoletano....oh sorry big grin

In other words, ITALIAN!

I know those little, apparently insignificant differences probably are quite important to some families. My best bud in HS, Tom Licavoli was actually from a Sicilian family, tho the shorthand version is always Italian.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't pay them any mind because it doesn't concern me.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:I don't pay them any mind because it doesn't concern me.

Pretty much.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:02 pm

I just call out what my parents are. Black (AA) dad, white (polish) mom. If I dug deeper, and went multiple generations back, I could extract some additional ethnic ingredients here and there, but I'm not interested in detailing my complete family tree whenever I casually describe myself.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Chris wrote:I just call out what my parents are. Black (AA) dad, white (polish) mom. ...

So! Are you black or white?

Srsly, tho I have to point out to all these ppl who keep sayin' that Obama is the first 'black' prez. Uh, his mama don't count?
    blank stare @ you
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Shale wrote:

Srsly, tho I have to point out to all these ppl who keep sayin' that Obama is the first 'black' prez. Uh, his mama don't count?
    blank stare @ you

Obama calls himself black. In a crowd of white people, he stands out. In a crowd of black people, not so much. At a certain point letting the more dominate genes call shotgun makes sense.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Shale wrote:

blank stare @ you

She didn't in the Jim Crow south did she? If he couldn't use that drinking fountain or eat at that lunch counter I don't see why all of a sudden it's an issue to call him "black". blank stare @ you
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Alan Smithee wrote: She didn't in the Jim Crow south did she?

Actually, I used the prez to push a point during all that bullshit about him being born in the US - He couldn't have legally been born in Florida (or the rest of Dixie). His mom and dad couldn't legally live here in the sixties before '67.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:50 pm

I don't bother much with the Heinz 57 varieties, because there are so many. My mother was French born in France, after that though there is such a mix that who knows for sure. My grandmother claimed Pennsylvania Dutch, I found out later that German became Pennsylvania Dutch during the first world war. I will say that her mother a Foglesong married a Bruin (changed to Brown) so she might not have had a great deal of a mix. Grandpa had English for sure and maybe Mohican Indian along with what ever else got mixed in, he never actually knew other than he would have inherited a Lordship if he had lived in England. He hated that and never told anyone, but his relatives spilled the beans. My kids have even more of a mix, as my husband has German, Irish , Scots, and some others that his mother didn't want to admit to.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

She didn't in the Jim Crow south did she? If he couldn't use that drinking fountain or eat at that lunch counter I don't see why all of a sudden it's an issue to call him "black". When People Go Out of Their Way to "Claim" Every Racial/Ethnic Ingredient 729904

Thank you.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 pm

I'm black. But I got Indian in my family. Really.....I do. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:25 am