CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
AtownPeep
tmontyb
Forgiveness Man
Chris
8 posters

Good business or racial prejudice?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Good business or racial prejudice? Empty Good business or racial prejudice?

Post by Chris Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:54 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/26/larry-whitten-hotel-owner_n_333817.html

This man bought a hotel and then forbade the Hispanic workers from speaking Spanish in his presence and ordered some to Anglicize their names. Needless to say he caught some flack about it.

Thoughts? Was he within his rights? Does it constitute racial prejudice or is he using good business sense that worked for him in the past?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Good business or racial prejudice? Empty Re: Good business or racial prejudice?

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 am

Page not found...
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 am

Link fixed. Thanks FM.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:22 am

This is a tough one. I think he was well within his right to ask his employees to speak English in his presence. Asking them to change their names is just over the top and taking it too far.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:34 am

Discrimination. How you gonna force people to alter their names like that? eye roll He should have been hit with a big lawsuit for it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 am

Just your run-of-the-mill Southern good-ol-boy bigot. Not good business to alienate a whole community by bringing your bigoted ignorance to the forefront.

I live in a mostly Hispanic (not Spanish as the ignorant one says) community and we deal with issues that this guy sees as problems. I am a big one to preserve the Spanish names and resent when they are Anglicized. We have a client here whom everyone calls George and I have to remind them that his name is Jorge. And Jesus is pronounced 'heysoos' not Jeezus. It is just common courtesy to respect ones heritage.

And most Spanish speakers here will use English if in mixed company (I get a kick out of Spanglish - a mix of words from two languages that assumes both speakers know both languages). So it is rude to speak Spanish when you know there are ppl who don't understand it. But it is paranoid to think they are talking about you.

What I noticed missing in the article is any mention of EEOC. What that jerk is doing is illegal under federal law, discriminating against workers for their national origin. English language can be a requirement for the job, just as bilingual is often a requirement in locales such as where I live, but to make ppl change their name to suit your prejudice is illegal discrimination.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:42 am

That's pretty much racism IMO. Telling people they can't be reflective of what/who they innately are....nah....
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:05 pm

The guy should have been arrested for that, had his business shut down or at least been fined in some way by the ACLU.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:19 pm

tmontyb wrote:This is a tough one. I think he was well within his right to ask his employees to speak English in his presence. Asking them to change their names is just over the top and taking it too far.

co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:15 am