What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?

Go down 
+7
Chris
tmontyb
Suzi
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
Supernova
captainbryce
11 posters
AuthorMessage
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? Empty
PostSubject: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 4:44 pm

A lot of parents seem to call it a "pee-pee" or "wee-wee" when referring to the "penis" or the "vagina". I never understood why that is. Why don't they just call them by the correct terminology? I mean penis and vagina aren't "bad words", so why are there so many silly colloquialisms for those body parts when talking to children.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Because children have a tendency to repeat everything they hear, preferably at the top of their lungs in public spaces, and given the way everybody is so paranoid today you can be sure there'd be some loon in the crowd thinking if little kids know those words, then their parents must be doing something bad with them. Personally though I don't see any problem with teaching them the terms 'privates' or 'genitals'.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 4:52 pm

My folks showed me Kindergarten Cop at a young age. Razz
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 5:07 pm

Supernova wrote:
Because children have a tendency to repeat everything they hear, preferably at the top of their lungs in public spaces, and given the way everybody is so paranoid today you can be sure there'd be some loon in the crowd thinking if little kids know those words, then their parents must be doing something bad with them. Personally though I don't see any problem with teaching them the terms 'privates' or 'genitals'.
Another example of just how sad our society has become if this is what motivates parents to teach their kids he way that they do. I honestly wonder sometimes if your society is indeed more "perverted" than "paranoid"?
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Penis & vagina. It's what they are.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 5:59 pm

CeCe wrote:
Penis & vagina. It's what they are.
I agree. But I wonder just what percentage of parents actually utilize that logic. I suppose every parent is of a different mentality when it comes to the appropriateness of terms associate with body parts.

My friend Adam has 3 boys (9 year old twins and a 6 year old). His language doesn't alter between talking to them and talking to his peers. He is not above ordering them to make sure they wash their "cock & balls" in the shower, or yelling at them "stop playing with your dick", if they are touching themselves too much, lol. Basically, for him there is no difference in terminology as far as he's concerned and everyone pretty much accepts that about him, lol.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 6:19 pm

captainbryce wrote:
I agree. But I wonder just what percentage of parents actually utilize that logic. I suppose every parent is of a different mentality when it comes to the appropriateness of terms associate with body parts.

My friend Adam has 3 boys (9 year old twins and a 6 year old). His language doesn't alter between talking to them and talking to his peers. He is not above ordering them to make sure they wash their "cock & balls" in the shower, or yelling at them "stop playing with your dick", if they are touching themselves too much, lol. Basically, for him there is no difference in terminology as far as he's concerned and everyone pretty much accepts that about him, lol.

I can't speak for other countries but American culture has some really significant hangups about these things. There's a simultaneous obsession & fear of anything connected to sexuality.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 6:52 pm

Well correct terms are fine, but you gotta admit it is pretty funny to hear a little kid discuss a bagina!
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:26 am

captainbryce wrote:

The thing is, no one in casual conversation call private parts penis or vagina, so why be clinical with kids? Of course, you tell them the correct names, but personally, I like your friend's style. I would have never told my son, "go wash your penis and scrotum". Who talks like that?
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 6:28 am

I'm not sure where it came from, but my daughter has been referring to it as her 'hoo-haw' since she was very little. Since it was more silly than obscene, we let it go. My wife and I refer to my son's penis as his pistol, because it definitely shoots (like father, like son! smug.) I'm not sure what language we'll use once he starts talking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 am

Chris wrote:
I'm not sure where it came from, but my daughter has been referring to it as her 'hoo-haw' since she was very little. Since it was more silly than obscene, we let it go. My wife and I refer to my son's penis as his pistol, because it definitely shoots (like father, like son! smug.) I'm not sure what language we'll use once he starts talking.

Has he shot anyone's eye out yet? That's the first thing someone needs to learn when changing a male baby's diaper. Approach with caution! LMAO!
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 am

Alan Smithee wrote:
Chris wrote:

Has he shot anyone's eye out yet? That's the first thing someone needs to learn when changing a male baby's diaper. Approach with caution! LMAO!

Let's just say he knows how to hit a target! My hands and face have been sprayed more than once by it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:10 am

Chris wrote:

Let's just say he knows how to hit a target! My hands and face have been sprayed more than once by it.

More than once? What, you keep forgetting he's like a little fire hydrant every time you change him? Wink You have to use that diaper as a shield!
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:51 am

The medical terms are fine, but pee pee and wee wee are easier for children to say. Damn, can't children have just some childlike innocence anymore? They'll learn the proper terms of their reproductive organs soon enough.

Last edited by Nystyle709 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:53 am

Chris wrote:

big grin big grin big grin
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 am

captainbryce wrote:

Of course the problem with that is little kids don't know they shouldn't use that language in public. The proper terms should always be used if one is in public, and little kids will repeat anything they hear. Then there were the friends who had a little guy who was very precocious , at 2 years old he talked very clearly and had a fog horn voice. The problem was little Charlie couldn't pronounce his T's they came out as F's. His grandmother lived in a frailor, so they ended up teaching him that trucks were cars. Back then you rarely heard that sort of language in public.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:41 pm

Kids don't need to be taught "vagina" and "penis" to shout out things in public that make their parents want to dig a hole and crawl into. "Look how fat that lady is mommy!" "Daddy why does that man only have one leg?" Kids just lack that filter Shrugs (Oh well…)

Besides. It matters more for children to know what to do if someone tries to touch their "pee pees" and "wee wees" than the anatomically correct terms.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 12:43 pm

captainbryce wrote:

How much is too much? The kids need glasses or hair in their palms? Wink
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

How much is too much? The kids need glasses or hair in their palms? Wink
I would say, anytime it's done in public (where guests can see) qualifies as "too much", lol.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptySun Aug 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
Kids don't need to be taught "vagina" and "penis" to shout out things in public that make their parents want to dig a hole and crawl into. "Look how fat that lady is mommy!" "Daddy why does that man only have one leg?" Kids just lack that filter What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? 2517814472

Love that post, Al! So true! If the worst thing to happen in public is for a kid to name body parts, count blessings!

My son and I got out of the vehicle one time just as a pleasantly portly man got out of his car. My son said, "Look at that big fag." Of course he wasn't talking about the man at all, but the big flag outside a neighboring restaurant to the business we were at. Still the man gave us a look. My son was SO loud and spoke so clearly.....well, beyond eliminating the L sound in flag. So, 11 years later, I still feel like that man thought I called him that before opening the car doors.

To the OP, I always have used "penis" for my son, but called a vagina and "area" for years. I just couldn't bring myself to use "vagina" to him.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 am

My uncles wife referred to her daughters privates as her rubies.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 12:06 pm

captainbryce wrote:
A lot of parents seem to call it a "pee-pee" or "wee-wee" when referring to the "penis" or the "vagina". I never understood why that is. Why don't they just call them by the correct terminology? I mean penis and vagina aren't "bad words", so why are there so many silly colloquialisms for those body parts when talking to children.

co-signs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?   What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are the appropriate terms for private parts when talking to young kids?
Page 1 of 1