CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
Hyacinth Girl
Tony Marino
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
JM130ELM
Supernova
AtownPeep
Shale
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Chris
15 posters

Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few. Empty Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few.

Post by Chris Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:56 am

What do you think of teachers who'll punish the whole class (extra homework, etc., etc.) because one or two students screwed up? Is it an effective punishment?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few. Empty Re: Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few.

Post by CeCe Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 am

No it just sounds like someone who is too lazy or afraid to punish the problem child. It's the easy way out.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few. Empty Re: Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few.

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:52 am

I think it's a very unfair punishment and essentially encourages bad behavior. If you punish me regardless, what incentive do I have to do good?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 am

CeCe wrote:No it just sounds like someone who is too lazy or afraid to punish the problem child. It's the easy way out.
    co-signs
    And it only causes everyone to resent you and know what sorry ass you are.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:01 am

Teachers do that to be vindictive because they assume the class will wanna pounce on the culprits. If they gonna punish everybody for the actions of a few, then they should be rewarding everybody when one student is exceptional.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:04 am

AtownPeep wrote:Teachers do that to be vindictive because they assume the class will wanna pounce on the culprits. If they gonna punish everybody for the actions of a few, then they should be rewarding everybody when one student is exceptional.
    Oh they wanna do that too, in a sense. "Everyone gets a trophy." Both mentalities really tell the student that it doesn't matter if they do good or not. And that'll be about the only thing the schools will be teaching them too.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:20 am

If people are going to insist to no end that schools are NOT a prison for children, why enforce the chain gang mentality on them?
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:44 am

AtownPeep wrote:Teachers do that to be vindictive because they assume the class will wanna pounce on the culprits.

It's more a last ditch effort to motivate the kid to straighten up, I think.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 pm

JM130ELM wrote:

It's more a last ditch effort to motivate the kid to straighten up, I think.

It's too late for that, everybody knows schools are just glorified babysitting anymore.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Supernova wrote:

It's too late for that, everybody knows schools are just glorified babysitting anymore.

Everybody does not "know" that. There are good educators out there. It is just unfortunate they are not in the vast majority.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:30 pm

Unless the teacher is this guy

Teachers who punish the whole class because of the actions of a few. Fullmetaljacket

or the rest of the class was encouraging the mischief, then no.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:47 pm

No punishment should be dealt out to the ones that deserved it in the first place, why should the whole class suffer for a couple of jerks.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Catholic schools are notorious for that--they think the peer-pressure aspect will get the unruly child to behave, if he/she sees how pissed his friends are that they too, got in trouble for something the one kid did. My daughter was in private/Catholic-based schools right up until 8th grade and I was constantly calling out the teachers for that bullshit--I actually told one teacher that we weren't paying them $5000 fucking dollars per year for tuition, to have my kid feel like a failure because of the antics of the class clown. Expel the little bastard and let the rest of the kids feel like they are worth something, and that their hard work is paying off, praiseworthy, etc. Positive individual reinforcement, not group whipping post.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:Catholic schools are notorious for that--they think the peer-pressure aspect will get the unruly child to behave, if he/she sees how pissed his friends are that they too, got in trouble for something the one kid did. My daughter was in private/Catholic-based schools right up until 8th grade and I was constantly calling out the teachers for that bullshit--I actually told one teacher that we weren't paying them $5000 fucking dollars per year for tuition, to have my kid feel like a failure because of the antics of the class clown. Expel the little bastard and let the rest of the kids feel like they are worth something, and that their hard work is paying off, praiseworthy, etc. Positive individual reinforcement, not group whipping post.

And how did the slap happy nuns react to that one?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Not unless the rest or majority of the class encouraged it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:49 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I think it's a very unfair punishment and essentially encourages bad behavior. If you punish me regardless, what incentive do I have to do good?

I don't know. Let's go ask Job.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:42 pm

Last ditch effort to try and play on kids desire to not be unpopular is all it is.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Supernova wrote:

And how did the slap happy nuns react to that one?

Actually, there aren't many nuns left in the Catholic schools now--dying profession I guess, and all the ones, at least around here, are elderly and only do stuff like run the school libraries or act as teacher's aides. In my area, all the parochial schools have lay-persons as teachers/staff/administration but are governed by the Dioscese.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:46 am

Chris wrote:What do you think of teachers who'll punish the whole class (extra homework, etc., etc.) because one or two students screwed up? Is it an effective punishment?

I don't see how effective it could be to penalize everyone else who wasn't on some bullshit, just because one kid was. It's basically the teachers way of trying to force the bad kid to get it right OR face being the object of derision by everybody for the extra work.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:Oh they wanna do that too, in a sense. "Everyone gets a trophy." Both mentalities really tell the student that it doesn't matter if they do good or not. And that'll be about the only thing the schools will be teaching them too.
    I don't think that's what he meant. I think this was referencing something more akin to if two students ace the pop quiz on Friday, then there is NO homework. Most teachers DON'T do things like that and if they would it wouldn't necessarily be teaching kids that it doesn't matter if they are good or bad.

In principle, I see NOTHING wrong with punishing the group for the failures of the few IF your goal is to get them to work together as a team to accomplish something. This is actually something that is done in the military quite often and it works. There is no "I" in team and a team is only as strong as its weakest link. If one of you fail, then you all failed! And if one of you can succeed, then you can all succeed (if you are a cohesive team). The problem with employing this tactic in a classroom environment is that MOST teachers are often not concerned with "teamwork" and consequently neither are the majority of students. It's usually an every man for himself mentality there, which makes collective punishments and collective rewards useless.

My answer to the original question is "it depends". It depends on exactly what kind of teacher you have and how often they stress (and reward) "teamwork". Only that would justify collective punishment and collective rewards to me.

BTW, FM - usually by the time you get to grade school, the "Everyone gets a trophy" mentality is gone. That is usually something that is done with toddlers and pre-schoolers and it makes sense at that age (where kids haven't developed reasoning skills yet). In grade school, you actually "place" during the science fair. You are "selected" for the basketball/kickball/cheer-leading team. Everyone does not get picked and everyone certainly doesn't get a trophy at that point. The only area where it could be said that every student gets a trophy is when it comes to the ease of standardized testing. You can thank our former President George W. Bush and his "no child left behind" garbage for that one!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/07/no-child-left-behind_n_1191206.html

Last edited by captainbryce on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Views noted.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 am

captainbryce wrote:I don't think that's what he meant. I think this was referencing something more akin to if two students ace the pop quiz on Friday, then there is NO homework. Most teachers DON'T do things like that and if they would it wouldn't necessarily be teaching kids that it doesn't matter if they are good or bad.

In principle, I see NOTHING wrong with punishing the group for the failures of the few IF your goal is to get them to work together as a team to accomplish something. This is actually something that is done in the military quite often and it works. There is no "I" in team and a team is only as strong as its weakest link. If one of you fail, then you all failed! And if one of you can succeed, then you can all succeed (if you are a cohesive team). The problem with employing this tactic in a classroom environment is that MOST teachers are often not concerned with "teamwork" and consequently neither are the majority of students. It's usually an every man for himself mentality there, which makes collective punishments and collective rewards useless.

My answer to the original question is "it depends". It depends on exactly what kind of teacher you have and how often they stress (and reward) "teamwork". Only that would justify collective punishment and collective rewards to me.

BTW, FM - usually by the time you get to grade school, the "Everyone gets a trophy" mentality is gone. That is usually something that is done with toddlers and pre-schoolers and it makes sense at that age (where kids haven't developed reasoning skills yet). In grade school, you actually "place" during the science fair. You are "selected" for the basketball/kickball/cheer-leading team. Everyone does not get picked and everyone certainly doesn't get a trophy at that point. The only area where it could be said that every student gets a trophy is when it comes to the ease of standardized testing. You can thank our former President George W. Bush and his "no child left behind" garbage for that one!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/07/no-child-left-behind_n_1191206.html

I think, too, that it depends on each individual situation, and what the offense is that's causing the group punishment. Like you say, if the students are doing an assignment that requires them to work as a group or a team to complete it, then yeah, I can see cracking down on them as a group to refocus their attention to the task at hand. But, when you have one or two kids who are class clowns throwing spitballs, shooting elastics, dancing on the desktops and being generally unruly, then no, I don't agree with giving the whole class detention because of one asshole kid who's asshole parents don't parent and are blind the fact that they're kid isn't perfect, but is actually the one causing all the problems. That's my sticking point with this topic, and we dealt with that all through my daughter's early school years up to 8th grade--one kid or a few kids together, were the constant troublemakers, and when they decided to give a Saturday detention to the whole class because these little fuckwits were up to their usual antics, my husband and I stepped in and said no, our daughter will not be attending the detention, because she's a well behaved, good student, and it's unacceptable that she be punished for some stupid pranks these other kids were pulling.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 pm

There is no "i" in team but there is a "me". big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:39 am