CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
AtownPeep
Suzi
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
Jason B.
Shale
Nystyle709
Chris
12 posters

Voting on the basis of morality above economic interests.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question Voting on the basis of morality above economic interests.

Post by Chris Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am

Do you look down on voters who vote for a candidate more on the basis of faith and morality, and the candidates similarities there, rather than economics interests and living conditions?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Question Re: Voting on the basis of morality above economic interests.

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 am

Yes, cause its stupid most of the time.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:59 am

Chris wrote:Do you look down on voters who vote for a candidate more on the basis of faith and morality, and the candidates similarities there, rather than economics and living conditions?

I don't look down on ppl for following their own conscience because that is exactly what I do. (I look down on them for having wigged out fantasy beliefs that should have been discarded in childhood - but try not to raz them about it) face palm

However, in my case of 'morality' it does affect economics and living conditions. Preventing ppl from marrying causes all sorts of economic hardship that is not encountered by those allowed to marry. Discriminating against someone because of their sexual orientation does affect their living conditions.

And as far as the economic problems we are currently experiencing, candidates are LYING if they tell you they are gonna fix it. How are the gonna fix Spain, Greece the European Union? This recession is not just an American problem, it is worldwide and like it or not we are interdependent economically, even with 'communist' countries like China. Oh, and the Prez does not have any control over fuel prices - again, international and tied to speculators.

So, I will stick with the candidate closest to my moral parameters.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:00 pm

I don't understand how things as subjective as "morality" (especially since it always involves what OTHER people might do) are more important than someone's literal interests. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:37 pm

It's how Bush got his second term. Yeah, actually I do look down on people who vote against their best interest because of a wedge issue that probably doesn't even directly involve them. Just dumb. I couldn't care less about a politicians faith and moral beliefs/principals....I'm more about if their job plan will benefit me in the long run.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:59 pm

I know a lot of people worry about what freebies they'll get over what's best for everyone. lol Razz

I vote based on morality, but at the same time, I've never once found a case where my morality made me vote for a candidate whose policies weren't also preferable on economic issues. I've always found that the candidates whose policies tend to align with my morality also tend to be better on everything else.

I suppose I will look down on people who look down on me. Razz Already I see a lot of double-standards from those looking down on voters who vote for moral reasons. lol
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:28 pm

I used to vote on the basis of what I thought was good for the country. Now I vote for what is best for me personally because what is good for me is also good for others. Took me a while to figure that out, but I did finally get there.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Marc™ wrote:It's how Bush got his second term. Yeah, actually I do look down on people who vote against their best interest because of a wedge issue that probably doesn't even directly involve them. Just dumb. I couldn't care less about a politicians faith and moral beliefs/principals....I'm more about if their job plan will benefit me in the long run.

Funny cause I remember listening to the Russ Parr morning show the day after the 2004 election when Bush won. Russ read off an email from a listener who said that even though their job wasn't secure and their money wasn't tight that their faith was more important to them than that all that, so they voted in accordance to it. I remember thinking "what a fool." How you gonna vote for somebody that's not gonna help you stay afloat and will work against you all because of ideology? People need to learn to separate certain things for the good of themselves.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Chris wrote:Do you look down on voters who vote for a candidate more on the basis of faith and morality, and the candidates similarities there, rather than economics interests and living conditions?
    No, because it's what I do. I vote on the person I feel has the most "moral" policies, and the policies that I feel would benefit the majority of people in the country rather than the select few. The only time its ever been "unclear" to me who I should vote for was in 2004 (Bush vs Kerry). I didn't trust, like or believe either of them, so I sat that election out. But every other time, it's been very clear to me which person I needed to vote for.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:58 pm

I think character and integrity and where the candidate stands on certain moral issues are very important factors to consider in deciding who to vote for actually even if they aren't "make or break" (which they probably shouldn't be.)
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:51 pm

I feel like this about people who vote against their own self interest

Voting on the basis of morality above economic interests. Tumblr_ltsomig4fc1qmf6dp
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah I think it's beyond stupid to vote against your own best self interests and for the candidate that contradicts most of those issues ONLY BECAUSE they are against gay marriage too! That's what this question boils down to usually. "I'm against the gays marrying or against women having the right to abort, so let me vote for the guy who is against it too but will still raise my taxes & make it hard for me to send my kids to school or have healthcare". face palm But you cant expect bigots to be reasonable and logical. So let them vote for the guy who they think will screw the people they hate while screwing them at the same time. They will deserve it!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:05 pm