CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Impact
RiteDiva
JADACITY
CatEyes10736
Marc™
FightSleep
10 posters

This Tiger Woods thing is disgusting & annoying.

FightSleep
    FightSleep
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 1

This Tiger Woods thing is disgusting & annoying. Empty This Tiger Woods thing is disgusting & annoying.

Post by FightSleep Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Man spends entire life becoming the best there is at a sport, and makes billions off of it. He's cut and photogenic and kind of a dork, and people love him for it.

Turns out rich people get tail like nobody's business, so he loses his mind and bangs every broad in sight, because he gave up most of his life to learn to hit that ball in the first place.

Wife finds out; rage ensues.

As a gossip item? Marginally interesting. But as an ongoing nightly news piece? It's none of my fucking business! I don't care how many sluts he fucked, or whether his wife leaves him, or how much money was involved - it's their business; and I certainly don't think he needs to go to rehab or make a public apology. The only person he needs to apologize to is his wife, and what they do after that is between them.

American culture is disgusting. As if athletes "owe" us anything.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

This Tiger Woods thing is disgusting & annoying. Empty Re: This Tiger Woods thing is disgusting & annoying.

Post by Marc™ Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:23 pm

That shit is on TV right now; on every major network as a "breaking news" report. When did this clown become some sort of politician and when did his career and questionable sex life become the equivalent to Haiti?
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

This Tiger Woods thing is disgusting & annoying. Empty Re: This Tiger Woods thing is disgusting & annoying.

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:45 pm

I didn't think America cared anymore anyway. The public had already moved on. Why bring it back into the public consciousness? This is Tiger's choice (or his handlers).
    JADACITY
    JADACITY
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by JADACITY Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:12 pm

It's the blatant pony-show that bugs me - you know he's not sorry, he just got caught. And you know he's only doing it to get those sponsors back. Meanwhile the people will forgive him because he went to "rehab" (because you can go to rehab for wanting to bed as many loose sluts as you can, apparently - an affliction we all share). The whole thing is comedy.
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:14 pm

1. He is a dog, not an addict.

2. He is one of the most famous athletes on the planet.

3. He is rich beyond Croesus.

4. Sex, fame, and money--and the OP is wondering why people are interested.

The lives, peccadilloes, and deaths of famous people grab our attention---ESPECIALLY when frivolous diversions are needed in times of war and financial instability.

I can't believe somebody in this century seems unaware of the times.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:15 pm

I agree with OP. It's between him and his wife. Is he an asshole? Yes. Is he a lying cheater? Sure. But, none of that affects me.

Worse is the news coverage. I mean, the lead-up to that stupid press conference (which was timed horribly, taking attention away from the feel-good Olympics), was so serious, as if Obama was going to announce that "we have declared war on China. Commence WWIII."

Even if you understand and accept the initial media blitz, this should have been over by now. And, it almost was. People were starting to forget about it.

I guess there are those who believe that while his private life is his business, once he got caught and once it became public (which was basically his fault), he did "owe" people something because he had portrayed himself in a certain way, got people to buy a lot of shit (like golf equipment) because of it, and to hold him up as a role model. I get that argument, but it's IMO it's too attenuated to warrant this much coverage.

But, also remember that TW is a control freak. So, a lot of this is his own doing. He wants all of this uncontrollable situation to be on his terms. No one made him do this press conference (though I'm sure that more than a few people strongly suggested he make some sort of statement).

The story had initial "wow" tabloid value. It was "fun", like any celebrity scandal - for about two weeks.

But, as a topic of ongoing national discourse, its patently ridiculous.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 am

It is our human nature to want to know what people have to say for themselves when they mess up. So, considering that he will continue running his foundation, (and goodness knows he will be back to pro golf) he really needed to speak publicly. Now he has and this will die down until Elin makes a move, or his first golf game back.

I agree that the extensive media coverage of this has gone over board. But it is what it is...if the people didn't want to hear about it, it wouldn't be a lead story on the Today Show.
    stavdash
    stavdash
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by stavdash Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:41 pm

^ I echo RedBedroom's comments. People tend to want an explanation after someone does something flagrantly stupid. Now I don't think his explanation deserved every major network preempting their regularly scheduled programming, but it was what it was.
    binky04
    binky04
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 3

Post by binky04 Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:18 pm

I don't get it he is on all the morning news show's and people are saying he had to say he was sorry maybe to his mama & wife maybe even his mother inlaw but the game needs him i'm sure he has saved enough to live a comfortable life he cheated on his wife that is something even priesidents do he does not owe the world a i'm sorry i don't wake up with him in the mornigh
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:41 pm

So many celebrities run around on their wives, I just never caught on to why this became such an important international new piece. Fodder for Inside Edition, ok. Headline news on ABC World New Tonight, I don't think so. But whatever. He acknowledge his cheating, said he was sorry. I just hope from here that the media hype fizzles.
    Jazzde
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 1

Post by Jazzde Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:09 am

I feel this society has always been obsessed with celebrity so it shouldnt be a suprise to anyone the coverage its just worse now with technology. We make and break celebrities and to be a celebrity means to no longer have privacy. No hes not the first famous man to cheat but I think the problem here is that he had the perfect image. He alienated himself from his peers and was arrogant. And if you act like your better this is what you get. For a long time he avoided the media because they thought he was a boring golf player. Its like finding out a nerd is a freak. Although you shouldnt you cant help but talk about it.
    JADACITY
    JADACITY
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by JADACITY Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:41 am

Jazzde wrote:I feel this society has always been obsessed with celebrity so it shouldnt be a suprise to anyone the coverage its just worse now with technology. We make and break celebrities and to be a celebrity means to no longer have privacy. No hes not the first famous man to cheat but I think the problem here is that he had the perfect image. He alienated himself from his peers and was arrogant. And if you act like your better this is what you get. For a long time he avoided the media because they thought he was a boring golf player. Its like finding out a nerd is a freak. Although you shouldnt you cant help but talk about it.

That's true too. When you market yourself as being uber "wholesome", when you do something immoral it just sticks out more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am