CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Shale
Marc™
RedBedroom
femme fatale
10 posters

Will you retire from your current employer?

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Will you retire from your current employer? Empty Will you retire from your current employer?

Post by femme fatale Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:50 am

Here's another job question for you guys.
    Do you see yourself retiring from your current job? By that what I mean working at where you're currently employed all the way up until retirement age (65+) and then retiring?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Will you retire from your current employer? Empty Re: Will you retire from your current employer?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 am

I work for myself, but I don't plan to continue this for my entire career. I would rather work for someone else at some point. Try to find a place with a retirement fund and benefits because it is killing us to do it privately.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Will you retire from your current employer? Empty Re: Will you retire from your current employer?

Post by Marc™ Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:09 am

Nope. I didn't go back to school so I could retire from my current job. My goal is to walk away from this place by the time I'm 35. Hopefully my next position will be attractive enough for me to long haul it into my middle 60s. But no I don't wanna stay at my current gig for the long haul. I'm good at what I do and am a supervisor....so I could stay here indefinitely....but hell no....
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:18 am

femme fatale wrote:Here's another job question for you guys.
    Do you see yourself retiring from your current job? By that what I mean working at where you're currently employed all the way up until retirement age (65+) and then retiring?
    I have been at my current job for the last 11 years and in this economy it is likely my last employment. (My daughter a public school teacher has been out of work for more than a year and unemployment here in Florida is in double digits).

I am retirement age so that is my fall-back plan but I know I can't afford to live on Social Security so I continue to work altho the job has become a drudge with new management.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:01 pm

Marc wrote:Nope. I didn't go back to school so I could retire from my current job.

Yup. I don't think I'll be here until I'm 65 either.....even though I'm in a union and will get a pension.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 pm

No, but not because I'm dissatisifed with my current employer or the type of work I do. The economy just makes it unlikely that I'll be where I am now for years to come. As for a pension, I like to say mine is administered by the firm of Smith & Wesson. When it comes time to cash it in at some Federally insured institution, I figure to be set for life either way.
    DarkOblivion
    DarkOblivion
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by DarkOblivion Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm nowhere near where I wanna stay professionally and anticipate quitting this job by January, so no.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:35 am

Most definitely not. I'm always on the look-out for something better. The job I'm in is a job in which there is no room for advancement and you are at the mercy of a union that only looks at senioirty, not compatibility. There is no stability and nothing is certain. It's also not a full time job. I like what I do, but it's not a place I can see myself in even 5 years from now. There's one avenue I'm interested in, but that sector isn't hiring right now.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 am

Retiring from my current job isn't my goal, but I have been there for nearly a decade and am in administration, so I would be lying if I said that I don't consider it a plan "B and a half."
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 am

If I can help it, I will. Won't pretend what I do was my dream gig, but where I work has a very comfortable retirement benefits for employees that work there a total of twenty-five years so this is where I plan to stay for the long haul.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:07 pm