Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?

Go down 
+6
Marc™
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Tony Marino
RedBedroom
Supernova
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? Empty
PostSubject: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 12:27 pm

It blows my mind that there are actually people who think like this. I found this out a couple years ago after just such an episode of Law and Order: SVU, where a mother admits to knowing her baby had a rash and a fever and was crying, and what's she do? Spank her and go to sleep, next morning the baby's found dead, so the mother buries the baby and blames it on her nanny (ala Casey Anthony), and WHO is arrested? The mother of the 5 year old boy who unknowingly had measles when he was in the park the same day as the baby.

After the episode, the boards were flooded with people arguing over you should be arrested if you don't get your kid shots vs. it should be the individual parents' decisions, not Big Brother's.

I have never had any vaccinations, my brother did as a child, and they about killed him. So what's the message? It's okay if your child dies so long as he isn't contagious? Screw that. I never had a measles shot, I never got the measles, I never had a mumps shot, never had the mumps, never had or got German measles, or polio, or small pox, chickenpox I got, and now that I've had it, I'm immune from it, you can't get that certainty from a shot, always a chance you could still get it.

And the question was brought up, if it should be illegal not to get kids shots, what about the kids who are allergic? So if your kid can't handle eggs, he has a free pass on making everybody else sick, but everybody else has to get their kids stuck with shots that will hurt, might not even work, or might even make them sicker than the illness could?

For the most part, the law in this country does NOT get to tell you what to put in your body, and I say it should stay that way, how about everyone else?

Last edited by Supernova on Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 1:09 pm

If a parent feels strongly enough about not vaccinating, it can be eluded. Through home schooling or certain private schools, parents can still provide their kids an education without subjecting them to vaccinations.

The problem with public schools becoming less strict about it is that there are going to be many more parents who don't do it simply because they do not have to than don't do it for researched, thought out reasons like your parents did after your brother had a bad experience with it.

I think that it is ok to have a family here and there who is not vaccinating due to whatever reason, be it personal belief or religion. But as soon as it is not a requirement, there are going to be way more not having it done and then we are going to see a problem with it. Then we are going to see more uncontrolled outbreaks of things like measles and even chicken pox.

Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 2:08 pm

vaccinate them kids I don't want measles or mumps or chicken pox!
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Supernova wrote:
...I have never had any vaccinations, ... Screw that. I never had a measles shot, I never got the measles, I never had a mumps shot, never had the mumps, never had or got German measles, or polio, or small pox, chickenpox I got, and now that I've had it, I'm immune from it, you can't get that certainty from a shot, always a chance you could still get it....

The reason you didn't get any of those "childhood diseases" is because the majority of children are now vaccinated, so it no longer runs rampant thru the herd as it once did. I got no vaccinations in my childhood and had all of those diseases. It was the norm in the late '40s. I was one of the first to get the Salk vaccine for polio - and you do not want to risk getting that.

Health experts are constantly looking at the herd health and it is not just about the individual. Which is why public schools have strict requirements for vaccination now. There is some risk to vaccinations for some ppl, but they weigh risk versus benefit and vaccinations come out ahead on that equation.

Oh, and that chickenpox you had. You are now in the same demographic as us old ppl and you can just wait around in your old age for shingles to pop up, which can be worse than the original disease. I think the generation that had the vaccine against herpes zoster won't have that recurrence.

Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Not illegal, that's a bit extreme and would likely lead to other problems. I think we should keep it at encouraged.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 3:05 pm

Shale wrote:

Oh, and that chickenpox you had. You are now in the same demographic as us old ppl and you can just wait around in your old age for shingles to pop up, which can be worse than the original disease.

For which they have anti-shingle cream, which we already have, which I use on my coldsores.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 3:36 pm

Maybe....maybe....it shouldn't be illegal, but I think it's totally nuts to not.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 7:40 pm

It'd be stupid as hell not to.
Back to top Go down
RobbieFTW
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
…is Being Fitted For a Crown.
RobbieFTW

Male
Rep : 145

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyThu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 am

I think it should be illegal and don't understand why a parent wouldn't wanna safeguard their child against diseases that can be communicable. When it comes to health issues I think the law should always put the well being of the kid over all else. Including the parents beliefs and ideals.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 9:11 am

Yes, absolutely. Especially if they are attending public/private school. I don't get parents who have some sort of moral, ethical or righteous aversion to vaccinating their children. To not do it is outright negligent IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 11:16 am

And what if the shot just about kills them and then they get what the shot is supposed to protect them from anyway? My brother had the chickenpox vaccine as a kid and he still got the chickenpox, twice, and neither was a light case either.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Supernova wrote:
And what if the shot just about kills them and then they get what the shot is supposed to protect them from anyway? My brother had the chickenpox vaccine as a kid and he still got the chickenpox, twice, and neither was a light case either.

You do know that this would be a freak occurrence and that the chances of immunization shots killing a child are astronomically low, right? I really don't understand the skepticism some parents have toward things like this. I'd be willing to bet that NOT getting the kids vaccinated carried more potential risks health-wise than the other way around.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 5:44 pm

All I know is that it seems anytime a relative or a friend of the family's gets a shot for something, they wind up getting what they're supposed to be protected from anyway, so in a case like that, why should they even bother? If you have a history of shots working for you, then yes I can understand that but my family is not made up of the normal, everyday, run-of-the-mill, works-for-everybody-so-works-for-us people, we ARE the 'freak occurrences', shots, medicine, whole bunch of stuff that's supposed to help us only makes us sicker; so why should a law enforce people who ARE like that being forced to take more shots to just become sicker when they could not take them, save the time and pain and have about the same effects?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Quote :
All I know is that it seems anytime a relative or a friend of the family's gets a shot for something, they wind up getting what they're supposed to be protected from anyway

I can understand if that is in your family's history, but your friends too? So, to you is seems that anytime they get a shot for something they wind up getting what they are supposed to be protected from anyway?

That would mean that you have seen several cases of Diphtheria, Whooping cough, Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hep B and Chicken pox in any friends who have been immunized against them anyway.

I respect people who choose not to vaccinate. It is their choice, but as I stated before, if there were not laws, people would opt of of it due to carelessness or laziness. Then there would be outbreaks of things all the time. The argument many make is that they have not immunized their child, yet he stayed safe. He stayed safe because most of his peers are immunized.

I know you are not a parent yet, but think about when you have a child if you do. Because your daughter may follow suit of your family and react poorly to vaccinations, you may opt to not get him/her immunized. Do you really want your child in settings with groups of children who are not immunized? It would put your child at risk in a big way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?   Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should it be illegal not to get kids vaccinated?
Page 1 of 1