CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix Empty Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix

Post by Marc™ Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:25 am

Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix 5568340
    By Helen A.S. Popkin

These days, even the least tech-savvy boyfriend or girlfriend can wreak revenge on a cheating lover with nasty Facebook posts, passive-aggressive Twitter tweets, or even previously private boudoir photos texted to every family member or friend.

It takes a cuckold of true imagination, and at least a passing knowledge of the Netflix movie-suggesting algorithm to strike out in a subtle and personal way, it wins the (somewhat horrified) admiration of Web community Reddit, the primordial ooze of current Internet creativity.

"My girlfriend cheated on me, so I rated movies in her netflix account until I reached the desired result," wrote Reddit user Contra3, who posted the above screen grab as evidence of his handiwork. For some commenters on Gizmodo, where Contra3's handiwork later appeared, this Netflix suggestion queue inspired more questions than it answered, that ran a little something like this:

"How does one game Netflix to make it suggest movies about skanks?"

"There's a movie called 'Whore?!' "

"Um…why is "Bambi" in the mix? (Did she kill his mother, too?)"

"Whatever happened to finding someone that looked just like her, [fornicating with] her, and dumping her for closure? Kids today have it so easy..."

Several were quick to call Photoshop shenanigans, but really gaming Netflix recommendations isn't hard to do if you just go through the site's movie catalog, giving high ratings to all movies with a common theme. And kids, cuckolds are a common Hollywood theme.

As for "Bambi?"

"I'm going with a 'loss of innocence,' " one commenter suggested. "Bambi had to learn to live on his own after his mom was murdered by hunters. I thought that was a nice touch, and the best part."

Actually,Contra3 explained on Reddit, "I’m a fan of non sequiturs."

Netflix bombed FTW!

Source: http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/02/5568285-dude-gets-back-at-cheating-girlfriend-via-netflix
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix Empty Re: Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix

Post by RedBedroom Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:29 am

I am probably being a dumb ass, but I don't get it?

I have never had Netflix, so I guess I don't understand how this would be an embarrassment to the girl.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix Empty Re: Dude gets back at cheating girlfriend ... via Netflix

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 am

RedBedroom wrote:I am probably being a dumb ass, but I don't get it?

You ain't the only one.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:50 am

Ok, good. Now I don't feel so stupid!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:01 am

Truth be told, I didn't get it either. I thought I was overlooking something that would make sense to somebody else. Guess not.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:15 am

Oh, Marc, your post made me chuckle! I thought you would be the one to explain it to us!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:06 am

Near as I can tell is the guy manipulated the ratings of his ex's Netflix account so it looked like her favorite movies (except for Bambi, the non sequitur) were about people being unfaithful (like she was). His idea of revenge. Too subtle I guess. At least it wasn't the "If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, it's yours. If it doesnt...hunt it down and kill it," philosophy of relationships.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:21 pm