CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Religious disfellowship and shunning.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Religious disfellowship and shunning. Empty Religious disfellowship and shunning.

Post by Chris Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Is it ethical for a church to demand or encourage shunning of ex-communicated or disfellowshipped members. Like say for instance, someone voices their opposition to a churches stance on a certain issue; the church ex-communicates this member for not falling in line. From there, do you they have a (ethical) right to say to its members, "do not associate with that person again?"
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Religious disfellowship and shunning. Empty Re: Religious disfellowship and shunning.

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Do they have a right to? Religiously, I guess they do have that right. It's a stupid move and I don't condone it, but you can't force somebody to associate with somebody else.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Religious disfellowship and shunning. Empty Re: Religious disfellowship and shunning.

Post by CeCe Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Chris wrote:Is it ethical for a church to demand or encourage shunning of ex-communicated or disfellowshipped members. Like say for instance, someone voices their opposition to a churches stance on a certain issue; the church ex-communicates this member for not falling in line. From there, do you they have a (ethical) right to say to its members, "do not associate with that person again" ?

This is one of the huge problems I have with religion & one of the reasons I walked away from it for--ever. I know of an instance where a gay guy was BANNED from the church. Permanently. Because he's...gay. He got "disfellowshipped". And no it isn't right. Ethically, morally, biblically or any other stupid excuse they came up with. But they get to set their own rules I guess since so many of them interpret their rulebook the way they choose.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I think a church is within its full right to ban someone from participating, but I don't think they have a right to try and make people social outcasts beyond the church walls.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:34 am