CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Should Respect Have to be "Earned"?

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Should Respect Have to be "Earned"? Empty Should Respect Have to be "Earned"?

Post by Jason B. Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:11 am

We all heard it said that someone's respect has to be earned, that people need to show their sincerity to prove their character is worth respecting. I think that's largely incorrect and that everyone should be respected UNTIL they should that their character ISN'T sincere. What do you think, should respect have to be earned or should it be given with the benefit of the doubt?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should Respect Have to be "Earned"? Empty Re: Should Respect Have to be "Earned"?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:22 am

Definitely given with the benefit of the doubt.

But I don't think the sentiment that it has to be earned is off base, if it is taken more literally. For instance if you and I are introduced and you treat me kind straight on from the first handshake, I am going to respect you with eye contact, interest in what you may have to say, and just generally, treating with respect. Because you have "earned" it by greeting me with respect.

Now, if you are introduced to me and you mumble a hello while your eyes scan the room, I am probably not going to put much into getting to know you.

Same for anything, a new teacher or boss, has "earned" the right to be respected due to their position of authority. And from the point of initial meeting, that "respect" is only theirs to lose, should they act in a disrespectful way at some time.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Should Respect Have to be "Earned"? Empty Re: Should Respect Have to be "Earned"?

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:25 am

There's a difference between trust and respect. Trust has to be earned, respect should be given with the benefit of the doubt.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:23 am