CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
RedBedroom
Nhaiyel
Marc™
Chris
8 posters

Sensitivity training at work and in schools

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Sensitivity training at work and in schools Empty Sensitivity training at work and in schools

Post by Chris Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:46 am

Do you think that schools and workplaces should enforce sensitivity training -- when it comes to better tolerating students/co-workers who're 'minorities?'
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Sensitivity training at work and in schools Empty Re: Sensitivity training at work and in schools

Post by Marc™ Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 am

Chris wrote:Do you think that schools and workplaces should enforce sensitivity training -- when it comes to better tolerating students/co-workers who're 'minorities?'

No. Just put in the employee and student handbook that harassment is against the rules and enforce them. There doesn't need to be classes for common sense.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Sensitivity training at work and in schools Empty Re: Sensitivity training at work and in schools

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:12 pm

Even if the concept is well meaning, I feel the process is patronizing. Managers, supervisors, school counselors should be prepared to counsel on a case by case basis, when the situation calls for it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:23 am

You know...it may help at times...but mostly probably just a waste.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:09 am

I think it's usually just a waste of time. Where I work, people are pretty accepting - ethnicit and culture is something to be celebrated and shared. Most of the kids are pretty accepting of differences, too, though some groups have a harder time, but that goes back to what the parents are teaching them.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:59 pm

bump
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Yes! But not for the reason you may already assume.

We've had those classes where I work many times. And I doubt that they're effective. But it covers the asses of the employers. Issue the handbooks, but enforce the classes so that the non-readers don't get off the hook.

I constantly tell people that HR is NOT there for the employee; they're there for the employer, and anything they do for the employees is to cover their own asses.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Marc™️ wrote:No. Just put in the employee and student handbook that harassment is against the rules and enforce them. There doesn't need to be classes for common sense.
    co-signs

We had such training, brot in some org that taught acceptance of homosexuals. Some of our more intractable fundy co-workers let it be known in that open forum just how much they could not tolerate gays.

Best to give an absolute in the non-discrimination policy and get rid of those who violate it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I agree with Bluesmamma. For the most part it's a defense against a harassment law suit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:30 am