CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Shale
stonestatic
6 posters

Can ALL work be considered "prostitution" on some level?

stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Can ALL work be considered "prostitution" on some level? Empty Can ALL work be considered "prostitution" on some level?

Post by stonestatic Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 am

I'm having this argument at another board, where someone states that anyone with a job is in some effect "prostituting" themselves because they're offering their services in exchange for money. My position is that prostitution is ONLY about offering sex for money and that the "prostition" tag can't be applied so broadly.

What do you think?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Can ALL work be considered "prostitution" on some level? Empty Re: Can ALL work be considered "prostitution" on some level?

Post by Shale Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:55 am

First off, prostitution has been given a bad name by moralists and some places where it is legal is just another job.

Some places sex workers even get sexually intimate with their clients but in the context of therapy.

I was an artists model, standing naked in a room full of people using my body for their art. I wasn't having sex with any of them, but the thot came that I was in fact selling my body on some level.

Massage therapists, another job I have done, has one person giving extreme pleasure to another's body (stopping short of sexual). You are paid to do this, just as a prostitute is paid for the same service that includes sexual release.

So, prostitutes sell their service, which is the use of their body as do a lot of other ppl.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Can ALL work be considered "prostitution" on some level? Empty Re: Can ALL work be considered "prostitution" on some level?

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 am

stonestatic wrote:I'm having this argument at another board, where someone states that anyone with a job is in some effect "prostituting" themselves because they're offering their services in exchange for money. My position is that prostitution is ONLY about offering sex for money and that the "prostition" tag can't be applied so broadly.

What do you think?

According to Wikipedia:
    Prostitution is the act or practice of providing sexual services to another person in return for payment. People who execute such activities are called prostitutes. Prostitution is one of the branches of the sex industry.

So I would agree with you that simply having a job period does not fall under the perimeters of prostitution, which has a specific definition.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 am

Only in a very vague analogy. As has been said, when narrowed down to actuality, Prostitution is "the act or practice of engaging in promiscuous sexual relations especially for money."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 am

stonestatic wrote:I'm having this argument at another board, where someone states that anyone with a job is in some effect "prostituting" themselves because they're offering their services in exchange for money. My position is that prostitution is ONLY about offering sex for money and that the "prostition" tag can't be applied so broadly.

What do you think?

What do I think? I think the other people you're having this debate with are nit pickers or maybe they just have really shitty jobs. Although you can prostitute yourself in a none sexual way, everyone with a job is not a prositute. If I was, I'd be getting paid a hell of a lot more!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Nah, whoever is making that argument is silly. Prostitution is a specific form of selling oneself.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:01 pm