Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?

Go down 
+10
Nystyle709
AtownPeep
CatEyes10736
RedBedroom
Sheba Shayne
JM130ELM
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Chris
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? Empty
PostSubject: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 am

Some people believe that Racism is race plus power, and therefore anyone who is of a racial minority group has no power to be Racist; they can be prejudiced, they can be bigoted, but they can't actually be racist. Do you agree?

Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 am

I do not agree. I think it's a dumb excuse to excuse racism.

Besides, the idea that you have "power" just because you are white is a racist and stereotypical idea in it of itself.

If you are doing something against a person of another race because of it, you're exerting power. So even by that definition, you're racist. Minorities can be racist. The idea that only white people can be racist just screams double standard.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:50 am

Chris wrote:
Some people believe that Racism is race plus power, and therefore anyone who is of a racial minority group has no power to be Racist; they can be prejudiced, they can be bigoted, but they can't actually be racist. Do you agree?
Due to past segregation and a segregation mindset with many ppl, minorities have their ghettos where in fact they are the majority. We have such places here in Miami where I never venture because as a white person I will be targeted for no other reason than my skin color.

I have been harassed once in a rural black enclave in Mississippi while hitch-hiking thru in the '70s. Some black guys were coming up from a shack, taunting the white boy as they approached. Luckily for me some old redneck farmer in a pickup stopped just then and gave me a ride.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male
Rep : 62

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 am

In this day and age, I hear more racist taunting coming from minority groups than I do some majorities. But overall, it's more racism against any sort of immigrant.
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 10:20 am

Anyone of any group can be racist but there is no institution in place to placate the racism of someone who is a social minority. IOW, a black man can hate white people and yes that would make him a racist, but his racism doesn't have the clout to strike fear in or belittle white people as a whole the same way a white man's racism against black people would.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 am

^^^^I disagree. I think today's social minorities have plenty of clout. Maybe in the past this was true, but not anymore.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 pm

JM130ELM wrote:
Anyone of any group can be racist but there is no institution in place to placate the racism of someone who is a social minority. IOW, a black man can hate white people and yes that would make him a racist, but his racism doesn't have the clout to strike fear in or belittle white people as a whole the same way a white man's racism against black people would.

I very much disagree. Tell that to the white man whose car breaks down in the projects of Compton.
Back to top Go down
Sheba Shayne
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
Sheba Shayne

Female
Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Rockbird wrote:
JM130ELM wrote:

I very much disagree. Tell that to the white man whose car breaks down in the projects of Compton.

since when does the exception prove the rule? every major u.s city has areas where it is not safe for people of a certain group to go. however this is different than not being able to hail a cab, having a realtor direct you to a neighborhood for "your kind", the probability that you will be pulled over on bull-ish pretenses or seeing people of color go to jail longer than your "average joe" for the same crime. the list could go on and on. can a person of a minority group be racist? ABSOLUTELY. but don't act like when you hear the term "all-american girl/boy" you don't think "white."
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 pm

Your post assumes that I'm white.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 5:33 pm

It can and does go both ways.
Back to top Go down
Sheba Shayne
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
Sheba Shayne

Female
Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Rockbird wrote:
Your post assumes that I'm white.

does it?
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 6:36 pm

I think everyone is able to be racist. Racism is a state of mind, first and foremost. Someone can keep their mouths shut and never hurt a fly, and still have an ugly heart.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 6:38 pm

Definitely.
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Everyone has the ability to be racist but let's not pretend that all racism has an equal effect. A white persons racism IS more powerful than a black persons.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Only in certain situations.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Chris wrote:

Yup.
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Rockbird wrote:

I would say in most situations.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 pm

AtownPeep wrote:
Rockbird wrote:

I would say in most situations.

I would say in all situations. Any situation where it isn't is a fluke of nature.
Back to top Go down
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
(Oh!) Rob Petrie

Male

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Sorry, I don't agree. I think racism cause damage on all sides. I think some of the worst accounts of it I've encountered come from those who you'd think would be on my side.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Chris wrote:

Well, if a member of a minority group can be prejudiced and bigoted too (and they can) I really don't think it really matters much if they're not "racist" because of a lack of somekind of economic or social power. There are some powerless white bigots out there. Does being powerless mean they're just scumbag bigots and not really racist? Besides. Didn't Chris Rock say that the most racist people in the world are old black men?
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:09 pm

The sentiment that racism is power-based is an outdated belief from the days of Jim Crow and before. It should never be implied that in order to be a racist, a person has to have the prestige to be able to damage the lives of those he feels superior to because it would let a WHOLE LOT of people off the hook for their ignorant views (what innate social, demographic or economic "power" does some N-word spouting hick redneck in a trailer park have?)

Racism is the belief that the differences between the human races makes some innately superior (or inferior) to others and/or having blanket disdain/regard for people on the basis of race alone. Anyone of any group can be guilty of that kind of ignorance.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:16 pm

Yes - most definitely - minorities can be racist.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 pm

AtownPeep wrote:
Everyone has the ability to be racist but let's not pretend that all racism has an equal effect. A white persons racism IS more powerful than a black persons.

co-signs

I don't believe a person of any group can be let off the hook for the "ability" to be racist. If you dislike, discriminate against or are weary of someone for no other reason than the color of their skin or their ethnic origins then you are a racist. Plain & simple.

But anyone who believes that racism from someone who is of the majority doesn't have much more clout to menace a minority community than the other way around has their head buried. And I'm not just talking about certain areas or neighborhoods where one group dominates either.

Black people can in fact be racist and victimize "a" white target, but it won't patronize or panic the white community overall the same way a white racists attitudes or stunts against a black person will the black community. They don't have the same consequences and that's just the bottom line. Everything would have to be fair and equal across the board literally and figuratively for the two racisms to be equal.

Minorities can hate and lash out at the majority but they cannot oppress them and oppression is a big component of the institution that is RACISM.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?   Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do racial minorities have the 'ability' to be racist?
Page 1 of 1