CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
MandyPerfumeGirl
Tony Marino
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
JM130ELM
Chris
11 posters

The traditional model of the American family.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The traditional model of the American family. Empty The traditional model of the American family.

Post by Chris Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:27 am

Do you believe that the traditional model of the American family; breadwinning father, stay-at-home/domestic mother and at least two kids is a desirable image to strive for?
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

The traditional model of the American family. Empty Re: The traditional model of the American family.

Post by JM130ELM Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:05 am

IMO it's something to avoid.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

The traditional model of the American family. Empty Re: The traditional model of the American family.

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:41 am

Why avoid it? Never did hear a good argument to avoid it. I think it's a noble goal. Although 2 kids seems a bit small. Wink
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:57 am

You just described my family.

My mother wasn't just a domestic though, she home schooled us and also found jobs she could do from home, for the radio, for medical transcribing, etc. I think the term is nuclear family. Or maybe that's just the size of the family, two parents and two children. We managed to make it work but for a lot of people it fails miserably.
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:10 pm

When starting a family, it might not be the best idea to mold yourself into a box.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Can a family afford to have a stay home Mom? I guess if the husband is making a nice whopping salary then its possible.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Tony Marino wrote:Can a family afford to have a stay home Mom? I guess if the husband is making a nice whopping salary then its possible.

I know several families where the mother stays at home and the husband doesn't make a whopping salary. Dual incomes and affordability don't necessarily go hand in hand.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Chris wrote:Do you believe that the traditional model of the American family; breadwinning father, stay-at-home/domestic mother and at least two kids is a desirable image to strive for?

I see nothing wrong with this kind of household, but I think people need to strive for what works for them and what makes them happy instead of trying to conform to what people think they should be. Forget trying to conform because nothing good ever came from being like everyone else.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:Although 2 kids seems a bit small. Wink

You wouldn't be saying that if you were the one who was giving birth.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I think it's rather pedestrian. I'm all for family, but I don't strive to model it after the "Donna Reed Show".
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:27 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:Although 2 kids seems a bit small. Wink

You wouldn't be saying that if you were the one who was giving birth.
    Sorry, but you're just flat out wrong. I know women who have happily given birth to well over 6 children. So sorry, but gender has absolutely nothing top do with it. If anything, a guy is less likely to want more kids.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 pm

I think that type of situation is very beneficial to the kids. Having parents do all the rearing is a huge benefit, in my opinion. But that opinion is not shared by everyone, as people do what works for them. I couldn't be a mom who stays home and doesn't work from home. I couldn't not earn my own money.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 pm

My wife and I both worked, but when we first got to Miami in early '80s she got an evening job at a runaway shelter for teens and I had a job with disabled adults during school hours.

So, I was the one at home every night with the stepdaughter from age 13 to 18. I did the supper, helped with homework and pretty much kept the homestead together.

Not entirely the traditional American family.

(Daughter got pissed sometimes that her mom was never home and I told her she could always run away?)
    big grin
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 am

Chris wrote:Do you believe that the traditional model of the American family (bread-winning father, stay-at-home/domestic mother, and at least two kids) is a desirable image to strive for?

No I think it's a stifling, jaded and frankly outdated model that more and more people today realize doesn't guarantee personal fulfillment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:58 pm