CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
MandyPerfumeGirl
TPP
Jason B.
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Shale
Marc™
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Chris
14 posters

Total strangers making small talk about God

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Total strangers making small talk about God Empty Total strangers making small talk about God

Post by Chris Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:32 am

Has a total stranger ever struck up a conversation with you about God/religion, and if so did it bother you?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Total strangers making small talk about God Empty Re: Total strangers making small talk about God

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:33 am

I guess you could say that. Not really ME though. I was more a witness.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Total strangers making small talk about God Empty Re: Total strangers making small talk about God

Post by Tony Marino Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:00 am

Yes and I just completely ignored them.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17 am

It's happened to me a few times....and yeah, it's annoying. It's usually old men who do it too. I try not to be rude, but once I think the old dude could tell I was irritated and quickly backed off trying.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:52 am

Other than the occasional OMG or Madre Dios not really, unless they were the ppl on the sidewalk passing out tracts, to which I say no thank you and keep walking.

If someone starts talking to me about their religion I will sometimes query them on what their religion thinks of homosexuals and if they don't get the hint, I will get into specifics of giving head and licking ass. Seems only fair to me. big grin
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:55 am

Yep. I'll just do the usual "mmm hmmm", "that's right" and keep it moving.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Other than some Jehovah’s Witnesses who rang my doorbell years ago, no. I politely declined to pursue a conversation, and they politely departed.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:36 pm

What's rude about it is the arrogance behind it. Many Bible wavers don't think they're being rude when they decide to start "witnessing" to total strangers. They believe that the word they speak is so in his glory that random people should WANT to hear what they have to say.

Last edited by Jason B. on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:38 pm

^^^^Well it's little different than the sales people in the mall who practically drag you to their booth to sell you stuff to shine your nails. FORGIVENESS MAN
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:28 pm

One time, when I was pregnant with my third and waiting for him to come out, this woman in a crazy outfit approached me at a teriyaki place where I was picking up some food. She asked when I was due, yadda yadda yadda, and then asked if she could pray for my baby and I. I was embarrassed but said sure. She said a prayer with her hand on my belly.

Here's the weird thing though...

The next day (Mother's day) I went into labor and had my son at 7 am the day after. It was an intervention free birth but my son got stuck in the birth canal right at the end. There were a few scary moments but ultimately he was fine.

I had to leave the hospital early to make it to my daughter's preschool graduation, so we didn't stay for long. As we were taking the elevator down, we stopped at a floor and the doors opened, then closed before the woman standing at the doors could get on. Then they opened again and she got on and it was the same crazily dressed woman!

She totally remembered me and I remembered her and it was just a bizarre coincidence. I took it as a moment of synchronicity.

That didn't bother me.

I don't like it when people try to convert me though.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:37 pm

A couple neighbors of mine talked to me about religion once. One told me it uholy for one to get angry, which of course I disagreed with and made me angrier, and another told me I looked like a "nice Christian girl" and inquired about what my religion was. The first neighbor annoyed me, but the second, no - she was just making polite conversation. People can sometimes be paranoid - it is possible people are just talking and not try to convert you eye roll
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:38 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:A couple neighbors of mine talked to me about religion once. One told me it uholy for one to get angry, which of course I disagreed with and made me angrier, and another told me I looked like a "nice Christian girl" and inquired about what my religion was. The first neighbor annoyed me, but the second, no - she was just making polite conversation. People can sometimes be paranoid - it is possible people are just talking and not try to convert you eye roll

I agree with that too. I like talking about philosophy and theology Smile
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Yes but most of them have just been trying to peddle their crap - JW's who accost you and don't know when to leave you alone or this one weird cult that was making the rounds back when I was on campus. Everything they said was identical, which made them sound like brainwashed fools.

The genuine people I don't mind but the ones who are just trying to lure you into their cult, I do mind.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:55 pm

It's never happened to me but if it did I would out of nowhere start talking to them about German cartoons or Thrash metal to see how fast they would end the discussion.

Last edited by GrayWolf on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I told my husband to be nice to the Jehovah's Witnesses who used to always come over. I just didn't want him to be mean...

So he invited them in and about once every two weeks they would show up and try to convince my husband that their religion was the truth, and he'd just politely disagree and tell them what HE thought about the Bible and religion. They never could convince him and when it became just going around in circles finally he told them that he didn't think that they were saying anything new and they stopped coming.

They came over for like a year though.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 am

Never happened to me but if it did I would quickly tell that I wasn't interested in talking about religion.

Edit: I take that back, it did sort of happen to me once when I was reading a book at the mall I had just bought. This lady came up and asked me what I was reading. She made some remark about how it was nice to see young people interested in books, and that it was just a shame more weren't into reading the Bible.

I didn't make a fuss out of it though.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 am

TPP, that is quite the story with the old woman.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 pm