CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Alan Smithee
2xy
TPP
Forgiveness Man
captainbryce
9 posters

Do you come here for "small talk" or to discuss deep/contraversial issues

captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Do you come here for "small talk" or to discuss deep/contraversial issues Empty Do you come here for "small talk" or to discuss deep/contraversial issues

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:35 pm

If you routinely comment on some of the more "hot", polarizing topics, when you state your opinion about something do you believe you should make some effort to justify that opinion, or are you one of those types that "doesn't care what other people think" regardless of what you say or the stance that you take?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Do you come here for "small talk" or to discuss deep/contraversial issues Empty Re: Do you come here for "small talk" or to discuss deep/contraversial issues

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:39 pm

I justify my opinion if I feel it worth justifying. Some topics are just so trivial that I honestly just give my two cents. I guess whether I justify my views or not also depends on who I am talking with. Razz
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Do you come here for "small talk" or to discuss deep/contraversial issues Empty Re: Do you come here for "small talk" or to discuss deep/contraversial issues

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:42 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I justify my opinion if I feel it worth justifying. Some topics are just so trivial that I honestly just give my two cents. I guess whether I justify my views or not also depends on who I am talking with. Razz
    Twenty dollars says we can't possibly get an answer any more VAGUE than this one. talk 2 tha hand

Ready, set, GO! overjoyed
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 pm

captainbryce wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:I justify my opinion if I feel it worth justifying. Some topics are just so trivial that I honestly just give my two cents. I guess whether I justify my views or not also depends on who I am talking with. Razz
    Twenty dollars says we can't possibly get an answer any more VAGUE than this one. talk 2 tha hand

You don't like my answer? My point exactly. Razz
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm

I come for both, and I do both. I don't have anyone to talk to during the day so I have a lot of things rolling around in my head and I come here to talk about them and to see what other people are saying and thinking about.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    captainbryce wrote:Twenty dollars says we can't possibly get an answer any more VAGUE than this one. talk 2 tha hand

You don't like my answer? My point exactly. Razz
    I don't like chicken shit, NON-answers. My philosophy: If there is no point to what you are saying, why waist everyone's time by saying it in the first place. Your answer told me as much about you as I already knew before you answered it. In fact, I probably could have wrote that for you in your place!

BTW, I watch TV sometimes, but only when I feel like watching TV. If I don't feel like watching TV, I usually don't. That really tells you a lot about somebody doesn't it. eye roll
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Fine? You want a better answer? I only discuss with people I respect. I respect TPP, Tony, Chris, and I will engage in discussion with them if they want it. Certain others, I just don't bother with because I feel them unwilling or incapable of actually discussing. So I don't bother.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 pm

I think that an opinion with nothing to back it up is just diarrhea of the mouth (or keyboard, in this medium). People who spew their thoughts with no justification aren't worth paying attention to.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:Fine? You want a better answer? I only discuss with people I respect. I respect TPP, Tony, Chris, and I will engage in discussion with them if they want it. Certain others, I just don't bother with because I feel them unwilling or incapable of actually discussing. So I don't bother.
    Well, that wasn't really my question but I supposed that's as good of an answer as i could hope for from you. That said...

sad news It absolutely breaks my heart that you don't respect me!

Fortunately, your reasons for not respecting me don't seem to coincide with what the majority on here (including the people you mentioned) seems to think about me. Therefore I can rest assured and not lose any sleep tonight over the fact that you don't respect me. I tend to get complimented on my open-mindedness and acceptance of other's positions (until I preceive them as bigoted in anyway). And the fact that I actually give them every oppertunity in the world to justify your positions (aka discuss) pretty much invalidates any concern I have over how you view me. But despite that about you, I still respect you (otherwise I wouldn't still be talking to you). I have a general respect for everyone who isn't an asshole. And you are many things, but so far and asshole hasn't been one of them.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:40 pm

^^^^I ain't looking to be the majority on you man.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:33 am

2xy wrote:I think that an opinion with nothing to back it up is just diarrhea of the mouth (or keyboard, in this medium). People who spew their thoughts with no justification aren't worth paying attention to.
    Why do I agree with this SO MUCH? big hugz
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Small talk = 50%
    Deep/controversial issues = 50%

I'll discuss/debate any topic with anyone here who can be an adult. That's most of you.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:50 pm

2xy wrote:I think that an opinion with nothing to back it up is just diarrhea of the mouth (or keyboard, in this medium). People who spew their thoughts with no justification aren't worth paying attention to.
    co-signs EXACTLY!

I come here for recreation. I will engage in more serious debate, but haven't the time to do extensive research. But, it's the internet - I can usually in a jiff pick up some source to support my point. Or if it is something I've argued for years will have sources available.

I WILL NOT research the opposing views side, which believe it or not has been put forth by some who have no concept of debate or accreditation of source. And, quoting god does not work with me, as he has never spoken to me personally to refute anything I have said.
    2xy
    2xy
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 22

Post by 2xy Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 am

Shale wrote:And, quoting god does not work with me, as he has never spoken to me personally to refute anything I have said.

go gurl!

I also tend to think that people who claim to know what God wants are creepy and dangerous.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:04 pm

2xy wrote:
    Shale wrote:And, quoting god does not work with me, as he has never spoken to me personally to refute anything I have said.

go gurl!

I also tend to think that people who claim to know what God wants are creepy and dangerous.
    co-signs
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:37 pm

2xy wrote:I also tend to think that people who claim to know what God wants are creepy and dangerous.
    Everyone does that. That's the dirty little secret. Wink
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    2xy wrote:I also tend to think that people who claim to know what God wants are creepy and dangerous.
    Everyone does that. That's the dirty little secret. Wink

What about agnostic people?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:33 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:Everyone does that. That's the dirty little secret. Wink

They tend to say what God would do/want should he exist.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

But they don't claim to "know"...I see a difference between someone saying "I'm agnostic, but if there is a God I can't imagine he'd blah blah blah" and "I'm Mormon, and I know that God blah blah blah..."

Not picking on Mormons, I just used to be one so I know that they believe that they, and the Catholic church, are the only possible "true" churches. They believe that they are the one true church, but the Catholic church is the only other alternative because they are the only other church claiming to be directly linked with the apostles, which is one of the things they think a church has to be, to be the "true" church.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:49 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:

But they don't claim to "know"...I see a difference between someone saying "I'm agnostic, but if there is a God I can't imagine he'd blah blah blah" and "I'm Mormon, and I know that God blah blah blah..."

Not picking on Mormons, I just used to be one so I know that they believe that they, and the Catholic church, are the only possible "true" churches. They believe that they are the one true church, but the Catholic church is the only other alternative because they are the only other church claiming to be directly linked with the apostles, which is one of the things they think a church has to be, to be the "true" church.

They seem to claim to know. by saying a God, should he exist, would or wouldn't be like something, you are essentially claiming to know what God is. Also, the very claim that people who claim to know what God wants are this or that is also an indirect way of saying that YOU know what God wants, or at least something he doesn't. Otherwise, you couldn't really say that these people are incorrect. At the end of the day, every person claims to know what God wants to a point.

I never knew Mormons considered it an either/or thing. lol Wink But I won't get into a discussion about what the "true" Church is. My point is merely that we all think we know what God wants, should he exist. We'll judge people for claiming to know, but we're just as bad.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

They seem to claim to know. by saying a God, should he exist, would or wouldn't be like something, you are essentially claiming to know what God is. Also, the very claim that people who claim to know what God wants are this or that is also an indirect way of saying that YOU know what God wants, or at least something he doesn't. Otherwise, you couldn't really say that these people are incorrect. At the end of the day, every person claims to know what God wants to a point.

I never knew Mormons considered it an either/or thing. lol Wink But I won't get into a discussion about what the "true" Church is. My point is merely that we all think we know what God wants, should he exist. We'll judge people for claiming to know, but we're just as bad.

Yeah, IDK if all Mormons think that, but I ask a lot of questions. They also believe that everything on earth also has a spiritual body, whether it be a person or a fork. Also that plural marriage is a divine concept, not to be used here because it's important to follow the law of the land, but that men who make it to the Celestial Kingdom will have more than one wife there.

Anyway, they don't talk about that stuff at your missionary visits while you're getting converted, they don't really talk about it unless you ask specifically, which I did.

I still think that having an opinion about a hypothetical is different than saying that you KNOW something. I think we've talked about before though, ATD Smile

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:37 pm

^^^^Eh, I think it's totally the same. lol But okay. Wink
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:39 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^Eh, I think it's totally the same. lol But okay. Wink

funny how two people can see things from such different perspectives...But if everyone agreed there would be nothing to talk about anyway.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:48 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:
    Forgiveness Man wrote:^^^^Eh, I think it's totally the same. lol But okay. Wink

funny how two people can see things from such different perspectives...But if everyone agreed there would be nothing to talk about anyway.
    The difference is we can disagree and not get into a big fight about it. Razz
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:

The difference is we can disagree and not get into a big fight about it. Razz

haha, the only people I fight with are my husband and my mom Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:04 am