Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  Empty
PostSubject: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Eighty-five percent of Americans claim some form of religious affiliation. The public display of religious symbols, though, is always controversial....whether we’re talking about the 10 Commandments in a courthouse or nativity scenes in a park. In the ongoing debate about religious imagery’s proper place, where do we draw the line between private faith and public religious expression?
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:12 pm

Do you mean publicly owned places like courthouses, or just out in public?
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 pm

Either/Or.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 pm

I think that public displays of religiosity are fine, on private property that can be seen by the public. I don't care for them at publicly owned places. I'm not personally offended by them either way though.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:17 pm

As far as public property goes, if they allow one religious symbol, they have to allow them all. Generally the community will throw a fit at the mention of that idea. So I believe it's really in everyone's best interest to just not have them there at all. Private property is another story.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:19 pm

I really don't see why it should be off the ranke. I hardly cOnsider it established religion. I sense people need to chill.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Marc™ wrote:
Eighty-five percent of Americans claim some form of religious affiliation. The public display of religious symbols, though, is always controversial....whether we’re talking about the 10 Commandments in a courthouse or nativity scenes in a park. In the ongoing debate about religious imagery’s proper place, where do we draw the line between private faith and public religious expression?
America is very two faced about this. On the one hand there really shouldn't be anything wrong with displaying a Judeo/Christian symbol on public grounds. After all, the majority of the country identifies in some way with Christianity and our country was "allegedly" founded on those principles. On the other hand, the moment someone tries to build a mosque at the "wrong place" it ignites protest from New York to the west coast! People are outraged at the idea of a muslim place of worship near ground zero, but simultaneously outraged because they can't display "their" religious symbols in public places. People (and by people, you know which demographic I'm talking about) don't want "equality" when it comes to religion in our country, they want a pro Christian nation. And if that's what they want, then so be it. But we really shouldn't be bullshitting each other into thinking that we are a country that champions "diversity" and "equality" when we have such ridiculous double standards concerning religion. So, while I'm aware that this didn't really answer your question, I think my answer is bigger than the question itself and should therefore suffice for now. big grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?    Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Should Religious Symbols be Displayed on Public Property?
Page 1 of 1