CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
femme fatale
Jason B.
RedBedroom
Alan Smithee
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
Chris
11 posters

Did you wear braces?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Did you wear braces? Empty Did you wear braces?

Post by Chris Mon May 16, 2011 8:21 am

Have you ever worn braces on your teeth?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Did you wear braces? Empty Re: Did you wear braces?

Post by Supernova Mon May 16, 2011 10:03 am

Nope.

My niece had to wear them and her teeth weren't in any bad condition, so I have to wonder how many kids actually need them and it's not just their parents' vanity or their only too eagerness to do whatever the good doctor says. I never got them despite my gaps and one crooked tooth because since I wasn't done growing, there was a chance they would straighten themselves out, and I really can't see, except in severe cases, going through that 2 or 3 years of metal mouth hell until the person is grown.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon May 16, 2011 1:05 pm

Supernova wrote:so I have to wonder how many kids actually need them and it's not just their parents' vanity or their only too eagerness to do whatever the good doctor says.

I have to agree with that one. When my Mom was in school, in the '50's and '60's, she told me just every once in a while she'd see a kid wear braces, but when I was in school a lot of kids had them. I think it's overdone and unnecessary a lot of the time.

As for me, I had braces for 2-3 years and then after my braces were off I had retainers on both my top and bottom teeth for another nine months or so. Finally, when all that came off, it was nice just to feel my teeth! I had a horrible dentist and I remember when I was 15 or so I said to my Mom "Mom, please, after these braces come off, let me see someone else." She agreed with me whole-heartedly, as she was disgusted with him herself.

Last edited by MandyPerfumeGirl on Mon May 16, 2011 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon May 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Supernova wrote:so I have to wonder how many kids actually need them and it's not just their parents' vanity or their only too eagerness to do whatever the good doctor says.

I have to agree with that one. When my Mom was in school, in the '50's and '60's, she told me just every once in a while she'd see a kid wear braces, but when I was in school a lot of kids had them. I think it's overdone and unnecessary a lot of the time.

As for me, I had braces for 2-3 years and then after my braces were off I had retainers on both my top and bottom teeth for another nine months or so. Finally, when all that came off, it was nice just to feel my teeth! I had a horrible dentist and I remember when I was 15 or so I said to my Mom "Mom, please, after these braces come off, let me see someone else." She agreed with me whole-heartedly, as she was disgusted with him herself.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon May 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Some people get on my case when they found out I didn't go to a dentist until I was almost 18, had I gone before he probably would've pushed for braces because my front teeth have gaps and one molar came in crooked and is far out to the side, and they still are, but they don't hurt, they're in tight, and they can chew through everything 'normal' teeth can, so as far as I'm concerned, they're fine without braces.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon May 16, 2011 1:40 pm

I had braces from 5th grade until sophomore or junior year of HS. My teeth were so bad my orthodontist almost wrote a paper on my case. That's why I appreciate my beautiful smile big grin (see) to this day and have always taken care of my teeth since.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Mon May 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Supernova wrote:Some people get on my case when they found out I didn't go to a dentist until I was almost 18

Eh, that's people for you - always pushing their opinions on other people, as if we really give a damn. And hey, as long as you're happy with your teeth, that's all that matters. My Mom didn't take me to the dentist till I was about 8 and I was a happy camper those first couple years of grade school. big grin
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon May 16, 2011 3:00 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:
    Supernova wrote:Some people get on my case when they found out I didn't go to a dentist until I was almost 18

Eh, that's people for you - always pushing their opinions on other people, as if we really give a damn. And hey, as long as you're happy with your teeth, that's all that matters. My Mom didn't take me to the dentist till I was about 8 and I was a happy camper those first couple years of grade school. big grin

Well I think the real clencher for them is when I told them that the first time I went, I had a molar extracted that was rotted and as the dentist put it 'completely shot', when he finally got that sucker out it was black in the center and pointed like a hound's tooth. But it wasn't hurting so I didn't go until I knew something was wrong with it, which is still pretty much my attitude; when I know I have a cavity, I go and get it filled, when I got a hole in another molar, I had it taken out, when another one got too long to close my jaws, I went and had it taken out, but I don't go much just for checkups and to have him find new problems, I seem to find plenty of them by myself.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon May 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes, I had them as an adult in my early 20's.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 pm

I wore them from the time I was 13 to about 17. I totally disagree about them being for parents vanity. But why wouldn't a parent want their kids to have straight teeth? Hell why wouldn't a kid want that? I remember they and the upkeep with orthodontist was annoying, but even then I appreciated that the whole thing was for the betterment of my teeth. Crooked teeth run in my family on my fathers side and I had cousins my age whose teeth were a train wreck but their parents weren't in any position to fix them. I appreciated that mine were.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon May 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Jason B. wrote: But why wouldn't a parent want their kids to have straight teeth? Hell why wouldn't a kid want that?

For the same reason that even if your child is short, you wouldn't pop for surgery to break their bones and expand them, as one 14 year old girl had to become stewardess height; because they're not done growing yet and their body is not done reshaping itself, including the mouth. My mother always told me that since my mouth was still growing along with the rest of me, the teeth might straighten themselves out, mine never did, but that's not to say others' wouldn't, and until it's permanent I can't see going through a prolonged, painful and expensive process until anything's certain.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Supernova wrote:
    Jason B. wrote: But why wouldn't a parent want their kids to have straight teeth? Hell why wouldn't a kid want that?

For the same reason that even if your child is short, you wouldn't pop for surgery to break their bones and expand them, as one 14 year old girl had to become stewardess height; because they're not done growing yet and their body is not done reshaping itself, including the mouth. My mother always told me that since my mouth was still growing along with the rest of me, the teeth might straighten themselves out, mine never did, but that's not to say others' wouldn't, and until it's permanent I can't see going through a prolonged, painful and expensive process until anything's certain.

That was an absurd analogy. Breaking bones to maximize height potential isn't anywhere near akin to having a kid fitted for braces, nor is it a common medically-supported procedure for anyone of any age.

Not to criticize your mother, but she was INCREDIBLY naive to think that your teeth would naturally straighten out. I don't know anyone who that's ever happened to.

I'd put 6 months pay on the odds that a 12 year old with crooked teeth will still have those same crooked teeth by the time they're 20, if it's never taken care of.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon May 16, 2011 9:13 pm

I'd put 6 months pay on the odds that a 12 year old with crooked teeth will still have those same crooked teeth by the time they're 20, if it's never taken care of.

That would be a completely safe bet.

The thing with misaligned teeth is that while they can be fully functional, they are harder to keep clean and so therefore, the likelihood of the "crookedness" causing a decay issue is greater.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Mon May 16, 2011 9:54 pm

I had mine on for about 2 1/2 years as a teenager, but only needed them on my bottom teeth. My top row wasn't a problem.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue May 17, 2011 4:34 am

I got braces my freshman year of HS and got them taken off the top my senior year. Still wore them at the bottom for a little while longer, but at least my senior pics has metal-free and straight smile.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Nope, never had them. My brother has them now. And I totally agree that it's ridiculous to let your child have crooked teeth.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Yes. My mom was really big on dental upkeep from as far back as I remember. Brushing after every meal, rinsing, flossing and dental cleanings. My front teeth were fine, but my back teeth were crooked. My braces were put on when I was 13 and I wore them up until I turned 16. And sorry but I can't agree with the notion that a parent shouldn't be proactive about dental health. IMO it's as important as going to the doctor and getting a checkup.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 17, 2011 8:38 pm

I didn't pay to have my daughter's teeth straightened because of my vanity any more than my parent's payed for my teeth because of their's. I did it for her just as they did it for me.
    Rainmaker
    Rainmaker
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Rainmaker Wed May 18, 2011 1:50 am

I wore clear braces when I was in my early 20's because for some reason my parents didn't think enough of me to get my teeth fixed when I was young.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:53 pm