CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Hyacinth Girl
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
CeCe
Cheaps
Chris
11 posters

What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? Empty What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?

Post by Chris Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:57 am

Society lived fine without it up until approximately the late 1980s/early-middle 1990s, but how fast would the world readjust? How would you?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? Empty Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?

Post by Cheaps Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:47 am

i dont know bout rest of the world, but id adjust just fine... i've lived probably 85-90% of my life without the internet.

i would miss this place tho
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow? Empty Re: What would happen to the world if the Internet ceased to exist tomorrow?

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:51 am

People would get things done. Dishes would be washed. Laundry would be folded. Floors would be mopped or vacuumed...

I'm not talking about me.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 am

Life would go on after people adjust to living without it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:15 am

It would be a huge adjustment for so many people who use the Internet for job related things. Think of all the jobs lost due to warehouses no longer needing to be staffed at places like Amazon. People that have one type of job would have to switch gears to get into jobs that the Internet had replaced.

It would be a couple years until any sense of normalcy would return.

I don't know what society's answer to people missing the social aspect of the Internet would be. Maybe when more people go back to landlines more and more, party lines would re-emerge.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 pm

cheaps wrote:i dont know bout rest of the world, but id adjust just fine... i've lived probably 85-90% of my life without the internet.

i would miss this place tho

*Heavy sigh* Word.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm

I'd have to revert to snail mail for keeping in touch with online friends, but one person I'd never be able to keep contact with due to present circumstances surrounding both our lives. So noooooooo! You can't take my internet away!!!! It's mine, mine, mine--gimme gimme!! big grin
    DanaShelbyChancey
    DanaShelbyChancey
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 10

Post by DanaShelbyChancey Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:43 pm

I was born in 1955, so most of my life was lived sans internet.

The first thing occurs to me is, people would have to wait for things. Mail delivery, processing; everything would not be instantaneous the way it is now.

I was overhearing today, that applying for a job some places is done only over the 'net, they don't even meet the candidate. So "selling yourself" is a thing of the past. What about people who are better in person than on paper?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Yes, it would be a diff paradigm - one that I lived in most of my life.

When I was a young man, we actually had pen pals. I was in the service writing to girls in England and we would send fotos thru the mail. Our version of social networking.

Here in the states, I spent more of my youth out at local gathering places, instead of sitting naked in my home gathering with ppl all over the world. You learn tact, how not to be so rude to others (as we see on some forum boards) when they are arms length from your nose.

Maybe I could get a consultant job somewhere teaching young ppl how to put paper letters in an envelope, seal it, write an address and put a stamp on it.

But, there will always be CB good buddy. My handle of course is Shale Stone.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:47 pm

Shale wrote:

Maybe I could get a consultant job somewhere teaching young ppl how to put paper letters in an envelope, seal it, write an address and put a stamp on it.

They'll just whine about the paper cuts and have their Ipod earbuds in so far they won't be able to hear your instruction anyway. big grin

Shale wrote:

But, there will always be CB good buddy. My handle of course is Shale Stone.

And don't forget your 8-track tapes!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:32 pm

I'd readjust just fine. The best years of my life were before the explosion of the world wide web.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:27 am

There's a postal strike looming and I just handed in an application and they'll be using the internet to input everything and so forth, so it wouldn't be that good for me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 4:49 am