CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+12
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Marc™
AtownPeep
Shale
Cheaps
RobbieFTW
Chris
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
Jason B.
Supernova
16 posters

Do you believe aliens exist?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Do you believe aliens exist? Empty Do you believe aliens exist?

Post by Supernova Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:04 am

Personally, yes. I have never seen one but I do believe they're out there somewhere...and lately I've been wondering just HOW far away they're supposed to be, because I've seen things going through the sky that if there is a reasonable explanation, I'd sure as hell like to know what it is.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Do you believe aliens exist? Empty Re: Do you believe aliens exist?

Post by Jason B. Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:45 am

I can possibly believe in ghosts, but aliens are where I draw the line.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 am

I used to be the same way...well it wasn't that I didn't believe aliens existed, I just wasn't into that UFO stuff. But to you I haved to ask, why? What are the odds that out of the whole universe and all the planets that were made, there would only be ONE with life on it? Least of all, life as we know it? And further more, what are the odds that WE are the highest form of intelligent life in the universe? Because if we are, then we're in trouble.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:15 am

Supernova wrote:I used to be the same way...well it wasn't that I didn't believe aliens existed, I just wasn't into that UFO stuff. But to you I haved to ask, why? What are the odds that out of the whole universe and all the planets that were made, there would only be ONE with life on it? Least of all, life as we know it? And further more, what are the odds that WE are the highest form of intelligent life in the universe? Because if we are, then we're in trouble.

I have to agree with this. I'm not into UFO's and that other bullshit either, but this universe is way too vast for there to only be life on this Earth. The numbers are mind boggling. There HAS to be life somewhere else. Now, I don't believe in aliens in the traditional sense like you would see on t.v. or the movies, but do I believe that there is other life besides the one here on Earth? Possibly. Or the better question would be would I be surprised when and if it's discovered that life exists or existed elsewhere besides Earth? Absolutely not.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:42 am

I am the type to keep an open mind. I certainly can't rule it out, but I won't say it's something that is definitely or even likely. IMO, it's just one of the questions I believe will be eternally "maybe" for mankind, at least in this life. Razz
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:33 am

I'm inclined to say no. Beyond plants, incests and critters, I don't believe that there is life on other planets.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:39 am

If Aliens existed I think Nasa would have found them by now cause thats been what they have always been looking for anyways. I don't think any mammal living exists on other planets.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:02 am

yes i believe life exists on other planets..
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:21 am

Whether they're here or not is debatable because they would have been traveling for thousands of years unless they did master "warp" drive or "hyperspace" because the distance to the nearest star system is so many light years away.

But odds are that of all the stars and planets in just this galaxy there have to be other places that would support life and that life could have evolved to intelligent form.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:42 am

I believe that it is highly likely that life has arisen on other planets. How advanced that life is is impossible to tell.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 am

Yes. Out of the countless galaxy's, stars and planets out in space....humans couldn't be the only advanced civilization. The math (ratio) or logic doesn't add up if you think about it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 pm

I think it's highly likely. Whether it's like what's depicted in movies & tv is debatable. But I have trouble believing that we're all that exists.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Chris wrote:I'm inclined to say no. Beyond plants, incests and critters, I don't believe that there is life on other planets.

Chris, I'm sorry but I can't pass that up. Or did you mean that people who stereotypically practice incest, i.e. marrying their sisters are usually the ones who report being abducted? big grin
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:18 pm

I don’t know if we’re the only sentient life form in the Universe but I think it’s more likely that we’re not. To not even concede the possibility is being way too closed minded.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Supernova wrote:Personally, yes. I have never seen one but I do believe they're out there somewhere...and lately I've been wondering just HOW far away they're supposed to be, because I've seen things going through the sky that if there is a reasonable explanation, I'd sure as hell like to know what it is.
    I do think they exist somewhere else in the universe because probability suggests that if life could evlove on a planet in the "goldilocks zone" (distance range a planet revloves around it's star where liquid water can exist) at least ONCE, then it would also happen millions of times throughout nature. There are between 100 and 300 BILLION stars in our own galaxy alone and there are at least 10,000 known galaxies that exist in the observable universe (spanning 13 billion light years). If just ONE earth type planet exists around any of these "billions and billions of stars", and if just such planet evolves life, and if at least ONE such planet evolves intellegent life, then there would literally be MILLIONS of "intellegent" civilizations throughout the universe. Mathematically, it is highly unlikely that life exists ONLY on Earth.

Having said that, I do NOT believe that we are visited by aliens on a regular basis. Could an advanced alien race come by earth just to check us out before? Possibly. But that is also highly unlikely given the fundamental difficulties in travelling to another planet in addition to the cost to benefit ratio of doing so.

The closest nearest star to Earth (besides the sun of course) is Proxima Centari which is about 4 light years away from earth. Even if we assumed that there is life in the Centari system (highly unlikely), they would literally be our CLOSEST neighbors. However, it is still 4 light years away. That means that even if they had the technology to travel at the speed of light (a scientific impossibility according to our understanding of the laws of physics), it would STILL take them 4 years to get to earth one way. This doesn't take into account the relativistic effects of travelling at near light speeds (in which time would slow down for the traveller). The point I'm getting at is that unless our aliens have discovered a way to manipulate space itself (by creating wormholes or warping spacetime itself) a journey from one star system to the other couldn't be done in a lifetime. It would take thousands of years (and if they were moving at the speed of light, thousands of more years would go by for the space traveller). Any trip would literally be a one-way trip that would take generations to complete.

If aliens do exist out there (and they probably do), we'll likely NEVER encounter them, nor they us!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:00 pm

alan smithee wrote:
    Chris wrote:I'm inclined to say no. Beyond plants, incests and critters, I don't believe that there is life on other planets.

Chris, I'm sorry but I can't pass that up. Or did you mean that people who stereotypically practice incest, i.e. marrying their sisters are usually the ones who report being abducted? big grin
    You should know I saved that for ya. We sometimes think incestuously. good one
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by Timetrvlr Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:45 pm

I've always been interested in the UFO stories; it's strictly self-interest on my part. I’ve heard a lot about alien abductions over the years, I’ve never studied them, but I can’t help but read those bizarre tabloid accounts while waiting at the checkout stand.

As I understand it, it always begins on a dark and lonely road near dusk or early evening. First you see strange lights in the sky and then you see a flying saucer behaving in an other-worldly manner and then--------, that’s all you remember until you wake up hours later, sitting behind the wheel of your car on a dark and lonely road. Years later you are hypnotized and the whole gruesome story comes tumbling out and is factually reported in the Globe with a lurid artist-sketch of big-eyed, naked aliens to dramatize it.

I believe the standard procedure is for the aliens to take you aboard their ship, cut you open, perform weird experiments on you, heal all the wounds, then wipe your memory of all of it, and place you gently back in your car before they leave. I also understand that they miraculously heal all of your illnesses and chronic ailments. That’s the part I’m interested in.

I suppose the odds of being abducted by aliens in this manner are about a gazillion to one, so I’d like to volunteer. The problem is, how to do it? Do I go out in the Nasca desert and make weird figures five miles long out of painted rocks or what? Any ideas you might have in this regard would be helpful.

I’ve decided that if this should ever happen to me, I must be prepared. So, I’m preparing a list of all the minor ailments that I’d like them to attend to. Lets see, there are the arthritic joints, the balding head, the flat feet, the failing memory, the varicose veins, the ingrown toenails------well, this is going to be a pretty long list. When I’m finished, I’ll print it on a big medic-alert bracelet and wear it at all times. I suppose I’ll also have to drive out into the desert at sunset quite a few times before I’m caught.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:00 pm

Yes, I do. IDK if they have contacted us, if they created us, if they are even something that we would be able to see if they were in front of our face or not...But I think that the universe is way too big for us to be the only life out there.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Shale wrote:
    alan smithee wrote:

You should know I saved that for ya. We sometimes think incestuously. good one

RIGHT ON! Thanks! But now I feel positively wretched ‘cause I didn’t get you anything sad .

big grin
    sailorlover
    sailorlover
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by sailorlover Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:32 pm

That's a very good question. The logic part of me says no there is no other life form in this world. I would of thought with all the space travel we have done for the past years, that we have not ran across not even one hint of life form. However, that is what we have been told. That NASA has never run across no other life form anywhere. The other side of me says there has to be other life forms out in the world. There has been so many "sightings" of unexplained flying objects in the sky. There has to be an explanation for that. That many people can't be smokin or drinkin to be seeing this stuff. Who knows??? Will we ever know in this lifetime??? Guess time will tell.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 pm

Welcome, sailorlover. You said something similar to a comment Robbie made above about having some doubts because NASA hasn't found anything out there yet. The keyword being yet. Considering how vast our galaxy is (let alone the universe) along with the fact that NASA has only barely begun to search, I'd be surprised if they had found someone else. It's like looking in your hall closet and saying, "Nope. No body here. This planet is uninhabited." It's not as if we've turned over every rock. Literally.
    Timetrvlr
    Timetrvlr
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by Timetrvlr Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:22 pm

alan smithee wrote:Welcome, sailorlover. You said something similar to a comment Robbie made above about having some doubts because NASA hasn't found anything out there yet. The keyword being yet. Considering how vast our galaxy is (let alone the universe) along with the fact that NASA has only barely begun to search, I'd be surprised if they had found someone else. It's like looking in your hall closet and saying, "Nope. No body here. This planet is uninhabited." It's not as if we've turned over every rock. Literally.

Good point!

I think there is life out there, lots of life. The next question may be, is it life that we would recognize? life on earth is carbon based, what if the life out there is arsenic based, or silicon based? Would we recognize it as life? Other questions might be is the life more advanced than us or less advanced? Would we even recognize their technology if we stumbled over it? We may never have all the answers but if we keep looking, we may learn a few answers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:43 am