CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
CeCe
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Chris
9 posters

Should smokers have to pay more for health insurance?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should smokers have to pay more for health insurance? Empty Should smokers have to pay more for health insurance?

Post by Chris Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:34 am

Write what you think; is it fair for insurance companies have a right to raise the premium for smokers?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should smokers have to pay more for health insurance? Empty Re: Should smokers have to pay more for health insurance?

Post by Shale Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 am

I think I have been in a health plan at work that gave discounts to non smokers. It is part of the actuary that shows risk factors and their cost and insurance companies subscribe to that (Why teenaged boys pay more for car insurance than mid 20s).

However, smoking, tho a significant detriment to health is not the only risk factor. Big Macs are in there somewhere I'm sure.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should smokers have to pay more for health insurance? Empty Re: Should smokers have to pay more for health insurance?

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:40 am

I understand the principle but I worry it'll lead to overcharging for everything that somebody does that an insurance company doesn't like.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:12 am

No they should not be charged extra like FM said It would probably lead to the insurance companies charging more for anything that they didn't like.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:17 am

Tony Marino wrote:No they should not be charged extra like FM said It would probably lead to the insurance companies charging more for anything that they didn't like.

Too many cupcakes & like Shale said, Big Macs. They would eventually move on to people who like to skydive or rock climb.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Nope.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:12 pm

I think they should. I also think that obese people should as well. But this stems from us being a relatively healthy family that buys our insurance privately, so I am all for anything that may help our premiums not go up.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Tony Marino wrote:No they should not be charged extra like FM said It would probably lead to the insurance companies charging more for anything that they didn't like.

I agree that it opens the floodgates. Alcoholics and people with too many speeding tickets would be their next way target, all for the sake of squeezing more money from pockets.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:31 pm

No. The potential health fallout from cigarettes isn't sure enough for insurance companies to start posturing like that.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:27 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I think they should. I also think that obese people should as well. But this stems from us being a relatively healthy family that buys our insurance privately, so I am all for anything that may help our premiums not go up.

That's just it Red. That will never happen. If they do this & it's profitable, they will FIND a way to raise your rates. It isn't your health care or saving you some money they're interested in at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 7:23 am