CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Supernova
RedBedroom
8 posters

Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? Empty Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:54 pm

I tend to lean toward, "if they signed up, they go no matter what (less illness)". However, there are stories in the news of kids getting very sick in outdoor practices in the heat. Coaches should certainly make the best judgement calls when it comes to what drills to do when it is very hot out.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? Empty Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?

Post by Supernova Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 pm

I don't think so. I think it's idiotic when ADULTS run around in all that padding in triple digit weather for a game, some get heat stroke and some die, and we want kids to be subjected to that, for what, sportsmanship? Teamwork? Health is more important than a game. In this current weather we don't go out anymore than we HAVE to, there would be no way we'd compete in some game in that kind of weather either.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp? Empty Re: Should kids be forced to practice sports outside no matter what the temp?

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 am

RedBedroom wrote:I tend to lean toward, "if they signed up, they go no matter what (less illness)". However, there are stories in the news of kids getting very sick in outdoor practices in the heat. Coaches should certainly make the best judgment calls when it comes to what drills to do when it is very hot out.

I can't speak for the modern era but when I played youth sports, I have grave doubts that the coaches were trained properly about things like heat stroke. Likewise for the "physical" we received before the season. "Turn your head and cough" is insufficient.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:41 am

I'm pretty against it. Kids should never be forced to practice sports, IMO. And especially not in the extreme heat of summer. My kid's health is more important than a stupid ball game that probably won't give them nearly as good a workout as people think.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 am

Not in extreme heat.....no
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:52 am

It is stupid and should by now be understood that you do not subject humans to rigorous activity with high heat & humidity.

And, this is not some new science. When I went into the Air Force in the summer of 1963 at basic training in San Antonio, there were 'red flag' days when the base commander ordered only inside activities. No drills out in the heat. Apparently even the military understood heat stroke. (Wonder how many recruits had to die before the hardliners were ruled over)

So, I would raise hell hotter than that heat wave right now if my kid was forced to practice in it. I assume the school districts on advice of their lawyers if not the health dept. will stop it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 pm

No. It's not that serious IMO. In severe weather conditions, practice should be called off if it can't be done indoors.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Absolutely not. Extreme heat can kill. Any coach who enforces this needs his or her employment status reevaluated.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:14 pm

CeCe wrote:Absolutely not. Extreme heat can kill. Any coach who enforces this needs his or her employment status reevaluated.

And their head checked.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:19 am