CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
CeCe
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Tony Marino
9 posters

Peoples opinions - Matter, don't matter?

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Peoples opinions - Matter, don't matter? Empty Peoples opinions - Matter, don't matter?

Post by Tony Marino Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Was talking with one of my friends and we were on the subject of "People's opinion affecting how we do things". How much does a persons opinion affect what you do? Do people's opinions matter? It's funny how you hear a lot of people say "Well, who cares what they think" but often find that it affects them in an indirect way, where they start to think differently. I will give you a scenario:

"You went shopping one day, and bought a pair of pants, you absolutely love them, adore them, but when you wear them one day to go out, you notice you're getting a lot of weird stares, strange comments, you're wondering what exactly it is that they're whispering about, only to realize that it's your pants".

Question: Would this affect you in any way? Would you ever wear those pants out, knowing that people are staring at you strangely? How much of a persons opinion actually affects you?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Peoples opinions - Matter, don't matter? Empty Re: Peoples opinions - Matter, don't matter?

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Some people's opinions regarding some things do matter to me but if I really liked those pants, I'm wearing them. Tony, are the pants really some hypothetical situation? Maybe the people just noticed you forgot to zip your fly again. Wink
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Peoples opinions - Matter, don't matter? Empty Re: Peoples opinions - Matter, don't matter?

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Sometimes opinions matter and sometimes they don't. All depends on what we're talking about, and also the level of trust I have in the opinion giver.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:...Tony, are the pants really some hypothetical situation? Maybe the people just noticed you forgot to zip your fly again. Wink

Or there is a significantly protruding 'basket' in those pants. Blue Cool

I am a few decades out of style (but I live on Miami Beach so 'laid back' is acceptable). But wearing cutoff denim shorts all the time is my look. Now and then I will see someone else wearing them so I know how out of the norm they are because I notice it. Still, there is no reason to change what I find comfortable because everyone else might notice how retro I am.

But, I have reached the age where I can wear socks with sandals if I wanted and no one would give me a second glance.
    Neutral
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm interested in their opinions but mine aren't swayed by them.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:28 pm

Shale wrote:

Or there is a significantly protruding 'basket' in those pants. Blue Cool

I took that for granted.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

Question: Would this affect you in any way?

Not really. Cause I buy what I like and what I would wear.

Would you ever wear those pants out, knowing that people are staring at you strangely?

Yeah, unless they had a hole in them.

How much of a persons opinion actually affects you?

Depends on the person and the opinion. In general, it doesn't affect me. I respect most people's opinion.....but you'd have to do some serious convincing to get me to change mine.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Depends on who is giving their opinion, but generally, no.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:05 pm

As far as the pants go, it depends on why they're staring at me strangely. Do they make my ass look like Nicki Minaj's? Because if so, I'm buying another pair.

But if it's because I'm making a spectacle of myself in a not-so-good way, the negative attention could cause me to reevaluate my choice, and maybe ask for a trusted opinion. Maybe I could wear them a different way that's more flattering.

In general, I only care about opinions from people I look up to. And even then I'm prone to still doing it my way.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:Sometimes opinions matter and sometimes they don't. All depends on what we're talking about, and also the level of trust I have in the opinion giver.

good one
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am

Alan Smithee wrote:Some people's opinions regarding some things do matter to me but if I really liked those pants, I'm wearing them. Tony, are the pants really some hypothetical situation? Maybe the people just noticed you forgot to zip your fly again. Wink

LOL blushing It was a hypothetical situation.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

LOL blushing It was a hypothetical situation.

That's my nephew's story and he's sticking to it Wink .
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:42 pm

I think it depends on the motivation behind said look. If someone is trying to keep up with the latest styles, trends and what's hot, then other peoples opinions and reactions can be useful. If, however, it's all about someone's personal comfort and what they think looks good by their own measure, then other peoples reactions become less significant.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:42 pm