CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Woman sues over stinky car

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Woman sues over stinky car Empty Woman sues over stinky car

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 am

Woman Sues Over Stinky Car

Margarita Salais bought a 2006 Ford Expedition in March, 2011, from a Detroit Ford dealership. Once spring brought warmer temperatures, she noticed a bad smell inside the vehicle. The heat of summer, according to Salais, turned the bad smell into a foul odor. She brought the car back to the dealership, who told her that the smell had come from a dead animal. A letter from her insurance company claims that Elite Trauma Clean-up Inc. determined that the smell was human in origin. Salais is suing the dealership, who won't let her return the Expedition, for $25,000 plus court fees, claiming they failed to notify her that the vehicle had been stolen three times and had once held a corpse.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Woman sues over stinky car Empty Re: Woman sues over stinky car

Post by Shale Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:26 am

Most places havd 'lemon laws' concerning cars. That dealership should have taken the car back. I know it is a real problem when bodies decomp in cars. I thot they just trashed it as a total wreck. So that dealership was trying to pull a scam on that customer. Hope she wins her suit. Unless it is a fly-by-nite dealership Ford may not like all the negative press that is already unfolding.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:39 am

You know, my mother and I saw an Urban Legends show about something like this...but for a DEALERSHIP of all places to try unloading a corpse car on a person, hell yeah I hope she wins her suit.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Well, I don't know....this is a wacky story.....but are dealerships barred from selling previously stolen vehicles If it came from an auction or someplace where they legally bought the car? I think they can. Can she prove that they absolutely KNEW that the car was a makeshift coffin and they sold it to her under malicious intent? I don't think she can. If they cleaned up the vehicle, there aren't any mechanical defects wrong with the car, I don't think she has much of a case. She didn't even notice the smell under the summertime....which meant she drove for a few months and didn't suspect a thing. They should do the right thing and perhaps trade it for another one, but I don't think they can legally be held liable.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Shale wrote:Most places havd 'lemon laws' concerning cars. That dealership should have taken the car back.

in the state of NJ to qualify as a lemon law, the car has to be in the shop 3 times to fix the same problem, and/or be in the shop a specific number of days per year to qualify.

i don't know if a smell would qualify under the lemon law.

as far as the car being a recovered theft, I bought a mustang from a dealership that did not tell me it was a recovered theft. carfax did not show that it was. Once I brought it to the shop for an oil change and a mechanic asked, "wasnt this the recovered theft? I installed the cold air induction on it." That is how i found out, but i should have suspected cause the 6 yr old car looked brand new and the engine was impeccable. It was one of the best vehicles i ever owned, so i have no problem buying a stolen car.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:52 pm

I am tending to agree with NY on this one. I don't think she will be able to prove they knowingly sold her a car that would develop this odor. They may not have known the history of it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:46 am