CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

'Transgender Student Fights University Over Housing'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News 'Transgender Student Fights University Over Housing'

Post by Chris Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:05 am

http://www.wlwt.com/r/30717000/detail.html

Transgender Student Fights University Over Housing
    Complaint Filed Against Miami U.

POSTED: 6:14 pm EDT March 19, 2012
    UPDATED: 6:32 pm EDT March 19, 2012

OXFORD, Ohio -- In just about every way, Kaeden Kass is a typical college guy. But his birth certificate identifies him as a female.

"Although it doesn't match with what I've been told based on my birth certificate and that, it's my identity, it's what I feel and I can't fight it," said Kass.

The Miami University student is fighting school officials for not allowing him to serve as a resident assistant in an all-male residence hall. Instead, he was offered a position in a suite living with female students.

"The problem is, I'm a male-identified person, and as soon as I'm in a space that is all female, my identity gets erased," Kass said.

He has filed a complaint against the dean of students and the university council.

A university spokeswoman said a privacy act forbids her from discussing the case, but she said the university does address the needs of transgender students.

"The university does offer gender-neutral housing for those students who feel more comfortable living with students of a different biological gender," said spokeswoman Claire Wagner.

She said three students were approved this year to live in those suites, but Kass said that's not acceptable to him.

"I have to fight for my identity every day, and it's just exhausting and it's frustrating, and it hinders my mental health, I think," Kass said.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

News Re: 'Transgender Student Fights University Over Housing'

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 am

LOL. These stories get funnier by the fucking day. Like seriously. She should go slap boxing or wrestling with a few of the guys a few times. Just for fun. I would like to know how much of a "male" she feels like then.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:53 am

It sounds like the university is being accommodating by offering the gender neutral housing. I don't think they should go further than that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 10:05 pm