CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
CatEyes10736
AtownPeep
Alan Smithee
Shale
Chris
9 posters

How would you explain to a child that their father (or mother) wanted no relationship with them?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question How would you explain to a child that their father (or mother) wanted no relationship with them?

Post by Chris Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Femme Fatale's thread about whether or not a man is a deadbeat if he pays child support, yet still wanted no relationship with the child prompts me to ask this:

How would you explain to your child that their other parent wanted no relationship with them? Would you tell them the truth, or attempt to play it down to spare their feelings?

Also, would you vilify their absent father/mother to the child for having that attitude, or try and be neutral in your description of them?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Question Re: How would you explain to a child that their father (or mother) wanted no relationship with them?

Post by Shale Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:49 pm

IDK. It would depend on the reasons that I knew. Was this one of those ppl who just aren't good with kids? Or did our relationship problems affect his personal feelings toward "my" kid?

If the kid presented it as a query I would try to be as honest as possible, depending on the age.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Question Re: How would you explain to a child that their father (or mother) wanted no relationship with them?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Chris wrote:
    How would you explain to your child that their other parent wanted no relationship with them?

Very carefully and I would try very hard not to make her out to be a bitch even if she was.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:11 pm

IMO parents mess up when they sugar coat the truth or outright lie about the other parent to spare the kids feelings. The brutal truth always comes out and it won't be no easier for them to deal with at 12 than it would at 6. If his dad is a deadbeat jerk, then best believe that I would keep it 100%... "Your father is an self-centered, emotionally cold S.O.B., who is too immature to recognize what a blessing you are on this earth and would rather go out of his way to pretend that reality isn't true because he's not grown enough to own it. So while it's sad that he's the way he is, if he was around he would just disappoint you. He's an example of what to NOT follow, doesn't deserve you and you're better off without him. The law however says that he CAN'T ignore that you exist, so tomorrow when his check clears, we're going shopping. And when you try on that D&G outfit, pop ya collar two times."

I would keep it totally real and just reemphasize to my child that their deadbeat dad's messed up personality and misplaced priorities are a total reflection on HIM and not them.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:30 pm

AtownPeep wrote:IMO parents mess up when they sugar coat the truth or outright lie about the other parent to spare the kids feelings. The brutal truth always comes out and it won't be no easier for them to deal with at 12 than it would at 6. If his dad is a deadbeat jerk, then best believe that I would keep it 100%... "Your father is an self-centered, emotionally cold S.O.B., who is too immature to recognize what a blessing you are on this earth and would rather go out of his way to pretend that reality isn't true because he's not grown enough to own it. So while it's sad that he's the way he is, if he was around he would just disappoint you. He's an example of what to NOT follow, doesn't deserve you and you're better off without him. The law however says that he CAN'T ignore that you exist, so tomorrow when his check clears, we're going shopping. And when you try on that D&G outfit, pop ya collar two times."

I would keep it totally real and just reemphasize to my child that their deadbeat dad's messed up personality and misplaced priorities are a total reflection on HIM and not them.

Not being an expert on this, but that looks like a textbook case of what a divorced parent SHOULD NOT tell a 6-year-old child about the other parent. It sounds like someone was hurt and vindictive, and as such would be subjective. Best to say something like some men just aren't good fathers and it is not your fault he doesn't come around but his.

My dad did what the courts ordered as far as child support and visitation every other weekend. I was in my teens before my mother ever told me why they got divorced - she caught him in a neighbors apt screwing and tried to cut him with a kitchen knife. IDK how I would have processed that as a small child.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:55 pm

It depends on what kind of relationship (if any) my child had with their father. If the other parent never bonded and had no relationship with him or her, then I might be inclined to be more blunt about what kind of man his or her father truly is. But if my child did have a relationship with their father and clearly cared about him, then I would try and be more tactful.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:30 pm

I would tell them the truth but would temper it to their level.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:49 pm

GrayWolf wrote:I would tell them the truth but would temper it to their level.

How would you explain to a child that their father (or mother) wanted no relationship with them? 1677402019
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 pm

I would gauge how and what I would tell the child, based on their age. A teen can better handle hearing that your deadbeat parent is just that, and you're better off without them, but a small child would fare better with a gentler approach to the effect of mom/dad didn't think they could be a good parent to you so they stepped aside, so you could have a better life than they could provide. And then let the child make their own judgements and decisions about the parent in question, later in life, after they've lived a bit themselves.

For years I was bitter that my own biological father bailed and ran out, the minute he found out my mother was pregnant with me. Granted they were both 17 at the time, but eventually I learned to let it go and say well, if he wasn't interested in being my father, then I'm not interested in being his daughter.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:00 pm

If the child didn't want to know then I would not mention it unless he/she asked then I would tread very carefully on my answer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 pm