CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
TSJFan4Ever
Marc™
Shale
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Chris
10 posters

Do post counts matter?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Do post counts matter? Empty Do post counts matter?

Post by Chris Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:14 am

We make a big deal out of celebrating it around here; the reason I initiated the whole 'CONGRATULATIONS __________ FOR ________ POSTS' theme is because I wanted to basically say 'Thank you for continuing to be here, you're presence is noticed.'

Some forums, however, don't list post counts; or may only feature them on the posters profile, just so that everyone is 'equal,' no matter if they have a thousand posts or a hundred (and on the flip side, I have seen people at other forums sort of posture against others with a minor tally.)

In general do you think that's a better idea?

This isn't anything I'm considering, mind you. I like seeing the counter there; I was just wondering how you all felt about the game of numbers.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do post counts matter? Empty Re: Do post counts matter?

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:04 pm

It really doesn't matter, but I like having more posts than everybody else in here....minus two people. So.....keep it up!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:18 am

Nystyle709 wrote:It really doesn't matter, but I like having more posts than everybody else in here....minus two people. So.....keep it up!

Bitch.

LOL, hugs, NY, you know I am only kidding.

I think that here it is perfect because we share banter wishing Tony to 10K, and things like that.

The only time I thought it was stupid was when this younger guy who was a member of a board I posted at started his own proboard and he would have little games where if you post here or there, on whichever thread, you would get more posts toward your count. That seemed so lame to me.

If I am totally new to a board, I really like seeing who responds to me and what their post count is. Not as if they matter more or less, but it tells me a lot about the tone of the board. If a member with thousands of posts is a jerk, I suspect that is a board I don't want to be at.

So, I do think post counts are important. But when a board gets big, it is important not to forget those who are active, but not really power posters, because everyone matters.

Honestly, before I was active here, I used to think that boards that counted the game section for posts were lame. I thought, why should someone add to their total just by posting in the different games. But this site taught me that the game section is a huge part of creating a camaraderie among users, and every bit as important as the main boards.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 am

I don't think post counts mean anything. Some ppl just say "yep" or "this" and that counts as a post, while others actually write an essay in a post. So, what does the number represent?

The post count by ur name indicates perhaps how active you are or how long you've been on a board, but I don't go for the big deal made about it.

And, when I get up there close to that crown, I may really slow down my posts because it is a hideous gif distraction. Almost looks like one of those Catholic icons, y'know Jesus bleeding heart.

Got anything in blue? blank stare @ you
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:39 am

Shale wrote:I don't think post counts mean anything. Some ppl just say "yep" or "this" and that counts as a post, while others actually write an essay in a post. So, what does the number represent?

The post count by ur name indicates perhaps how active you are or how long you've been on a board, but I don't go for the big deal made about it.

And, when I get up there close to that crown, I may really slow down my posts because it is a hideous gif distraction. Almost looks like one of those Catholic icons, y'know Jesus bleeding heart.

If it is within his ability, I am sure Chris will make it work for you tastes.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:10 am

I don't like forums w/o post counts. If I've been posting at a message board for 5 years and have spent a considerable amount of time there, then I wanna know my detailed stats. How many times you clicked on "send" should definitely be acknowledged.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:53 am

I think it's fun celebrating milestones and it's fun speculating on when people will meet certain goals.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:03 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:I think it's fun celebrating milestones and it's fun speculating on when people will meet certain goals.

same here
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:23 pm

cheaps wrote:
    TSJFan4Ever wrote:I think it's fun celebrating milestones and it's fun speculating on when people will meet certain goals.

same here

and here. Ooh, this adds to my total!
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Shale wrote:I don't think post counts mean anything. Some ppl just say "yep" or "this" and that counts as a post, while others actually write an essay in a post. So, what does the number represent?

Or maybe Chris can make it so that once you hit a certain number, your post count will start going in reverse and shaving off numbers in reduction. . . lol.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:18 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

Or maybe Chris can make it so that once you hit a certain number, your post count will start going in reverse and shaving off numbers in reduction. . . lol.

lol
    I don't know if I'm quite *that* powerful.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:

good one
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:32 pm

RedBedroom wrote:

Got anything in blue? Do post counts matter? 729904

He shouldn't. You get what everybody else gets. If he doesn't like it.....then perhaps he shouldn't post. Do post counts matter? 273237
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:42 pm

RedBedroom wrote:

Nystyle709 wrote:He shouldn't. You get what everybody else gets. If he doesn't like it.....then perhaps he shouldn't post.
    As with everything else in life, I'll weigh the rewards with the costs. Since I have a long way to go til I get that stupid looking Sacred Heart Crown, you'll see me posting as usual.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:44 pm

RedBedroom wrote:
    Nystyle709 wrote:It really doesn't matter, but I like having more posts than everybody else in here....minus two people. So.....keep it up!

Bitch.

Do post counts matter? 273237

LOL, hugs, NY, you know I am only kidding.

Of course. Do post counts matter? 56354

I think that here it is perfect because we share banter wishing Tony to 10K, and things like that.

The only time I thought it was stupid was when this younger guy who was a member of a board I posted at started his own proboard and he would have little games where if you post here or there, on whichever thread, you would get more posts toward your count. That seemed so lame to me.

If I am totally new to a board, I really like seeing who responds to me and what their post count is. Not as if they matter more or less, but it tells me a lot about the tone of the board. If a member with thousands of posts is a jerk, I suspect that is a board I don't want to be at.

So, I do think post counts are important. But when a board gets big, it is important not to forget those who are active, but not really power posters, because everyone matters.

Honestly, before I was active here, I used to think that boards that counted the game section for posts were lame. I thought, why should someone add to their total just by posting in the different games. But this site taught me that the game section is a huge part of creating a camaraderie among users, and every bit as important as the main boards.

I agree. It's all in good, light fun.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Shale wrote:
    RedBedroom wrote:

Nystyle709 wrote:He shouldn't. You get what everybody else gets. If he doesn't like it.....then perhaps he shouldn't post.
    As with everything else in life, I'll weigh the rewards with the costs. Since I have a long way to go til I get that stupid looking Sacred Heart Crown, you'll see me posting as usual.

LOL. Lighten up. You really got your boxers in a bunch because of a little gif? The celebratory post counts are all in good fun. I mean damn, we talk about a multitude of things on this forum and as Chris stated earlier, it's his way of saying thank you to all the people who contribute to it. Therefore, the post counts and that "stupid looking Sacred Heart Crown" isn't quite so stupid at all. Most administrators don't give a shit.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I ain't giving up my crown for nobody! All hail the Game Chamber!
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by Jason B. Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 pm

Even though I'm not up there with the heavy weight posters, I'm proud of my post count. I like seeing the # go up the more I post. This board was and is very grass roots and I think most of us who are regulars come here out of a show of support for the place. As shallow as it seems, post count is like this "indicator" of that support.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Hyacinth Girl Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:07 am

Shale wrote:

But Shale, if you change your avatar to Buddy Jesus, then the crown will be just a smashing fashion addition to the robe! big grin

Do post counts matter? BuddyJesus2
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:41 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:
    But Shale, if you change your avatar to Buddy Jesus, then the crown will be just a smashing fashion addition to the robe! big grin

Yeah, that's a solution and the Late JC almost matches my sig pic.

Do post counts matter? BuddyJesus2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:45 pm