CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
wants2laugh
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Tony Marino
RedBedroom
10 posters

Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table? Empty Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table?

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

I hadn't thought of this until last night. When my son was a toddler, there was still smoking allowed in bars, so I would never dream of waiting for my table at any restaurant bar with him.

Anyway, last night we went to Red Lobster with friends who had their two year old. Absolutely nobody was at the bar except the five of us. She was behaving. The only thing out of the ordinary was she had books at the bar.

It was clear the staff was not happy about her sitting at the bar. Three bartenders took care of the drink orders so fast it was as if they were being timed.

We were then seated right away, despite being told our wait would be 40 minutes. After we all got nestled in our booth, the server said, "So glad we were able to get that baby away from the bar." She didn't say it in a snotty way. Just matter-of-factly.

I really didn't see an issue since it wasn't crowded.

What do you guys think?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table? Empty Re: Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table?

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am

What is the big deal, the baby is not going to be ordering a drink LOL
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table? Empty Re: Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table?

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm

They may have had some concerns about legal liability or there could have been concerns it would keeps other patrons away from the bar who might be uncomfortable with kids there.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 pm

@Tony...that's what I was thinking.

@CeCe...good point about them thinking about other patrons maybe staying away because of a kid sitting there. As far as legality, I don't think it is illegal since it's inside a dining establishment.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm

I don't see what the big deal was either but if you got seated that quickly because of the kid I say bring the little nipper along all the time! big grin
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:55 pm

RedBedroom wrote:@Tony...that's what I was thinking.

@CeCe...good point about them thinking about other patrons maybe staying away because of a kid sitting there. As far as legality, I don't think it is illegal since it's inside a dining establishment.

I was thinking they might have concerns if the kid gets the booze even though that should be parental responsibility to watch them. I've heard of bartenders being sued even though the person driving drunk had been to more than one bar. It sounds like a job that has almost become too much of a hassle as it is.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:55 pm

CeCe, I know just what you mean about bartenders being sued for over-serving after an accident. I bar-tended when I was in school and I wouldn't do it ever, ever again for that reason. My more mature adult logic tells me it's just not worth it.

It's impossible to know what a person drank prior to walking in to the bar.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 pm

Should toddlers be allowed at a chain restaurant bar while parents wait for the table? 2517814472

I'm indifferent.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am

one of our local places actually had to fight for their liquor license because a parent ordered a virgin slushy type of drink for their kid and one of the bartenders put alcohol in it... the kid drank it and got drunk off their ass to the point that the kid was throwing up and had to go to the hospital. too many mistakes can happen i guess
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 am

I'm pretty open minded, but I would not have brought my toddler to the bar. I would have just waited until a table opened.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…) I don't know

But I immediately thought of this...

And this would probably, honestly, be my reaction.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

It's just too much of a hot button issue these days that could land the bartender and the restaurant in big trouble because of situations the server may have had in mind when she made her comment to your party.

I think she was just assuming you would understand the restaurant's position that everyone was breathing a sigh of relief that things worked out okay. They may have had problems in the past and had been taking a chance you would not be another one.

Long story and I may have told it here but the short version is I once saw a toddler severly injured at a bar where she had no place being just because the poor little kid was at the wrong place at the wrong time where she shouldn't have been.

My take is little kids just don't belong at bars.

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Minerva wrote:It's just too much of a hot button issue these days that could land the bartender and the restaurant in big trouble because of situations the server may have had in mind when she made her comment to your party.

I think she was just assuming you would understand the restaurant's position that everyone was breathing a sigh of relief that things worked out okay. They may have had problems in the past and had been taking a chance you would not be another one.

Long story and I may have told it here but the short version is I once saw a toddler severly injured at a bar where she had no place being just because the poor little kid was at the wrong place at the wrong time where she shouldn't have been.

My take is little kids just don't belong at bars.

I am more sympathetic about the situation now that I am thinking of it in a legality standpoint.

That said, a Sunday night in an empty chain restaurant bar is not at all like taking a child to a regular bar. I guess it's all food for thought for when I become a grandparent!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm

Cheaps wrote: Shrugs (Oh well…) I don't know

But I immediately thought of this...

And this would probably, honestly, be my reaction.

LOL, Cheaps. This is one of my favorite movie scenes because of the dialogue. When my son was young and we would visit my hometown, we always took my son to the bar. It was always during the day when the patrons were just (mostly) drinking coffee. My parents just loved to show off their grandson to their friends. At that time, my dad's best friend owned the bar and my son's photos were all over the back bar.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm

I think it's just a matter of protocol and environment. In such such adult surroundings, having a baby around very well could have made the other patrons uncomfortable.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Chris wrote:I think it's just a matter of protocol and environment. In such such adult surroundings, having a baby around very well could have made the other patrons uncomfortable.

I agree. I am going to go out on a limb here and state that I believe that not every place is child appropriate. Adults should have a place or two that is just for adults and bars are one of those places.

While some may think it's just fine to have their kid in a bar or some other place normally reserved for adults, they really don't know they may be making someone else uncomfortable or unhappy because that person simply was looking fowared to a child free environment for the evening or even afternoon.

The problem is, most people would be too polite to say something. Having a baby around, especially in a place like a bar, changes the dynamics of the place. The baby becomes the center of the environment rather than an adult sanctuary.

There are so many places geared for children, I just don't think it quite fair to make that kind of intrusion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:05 pm