CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Nystyle709
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Shale
Kral
9 posters

Do you ever think life was better before the internet?

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Do you ever think life was better before the internet? Empty Do you ever think life was better before the internet?

Post by Kral Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:46 am

Think about it... no TV & movie spoilers, no putting so much time and emphasis on social networks, no living inside the bubble of cyber space. Feels like before the internet life was much more "active" or more proactive. You had to get out and DO stuff and probably appreciated it more.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Do you ever think life was better before the internet? Empty Re: Do you ever think life was better before the internet?

Post by Shale Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:07 am

Paper!

Everything we do now on the internet was once done with books, letters sent thru the post office, and movies seen in theater or at home on mag tapes. Technology just increases the ease with which we have done certain things for ages.

Instead of arguing on forum boards, we had to actually type a letter to the editor of the various papers or magazines. I have a binder of 200 that were published between 1981 and 2000. A smaller binder since then because a lot of my opinions were being made on the Internet (And what I commented on to a local publication often ended up on boards elsewhere in the world).

So, technology makes changes in format but the same activity was being done before it, just a difference in medium.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Do you ever think life was better before the internet? Empty Re: Do you ever think life was better before the internet?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:27 am

"Do you ever think life was better before the internet?"

In some ways yes. In some ways no. Information and knowledge can be spread at light speed but so can misinformation and rumor. We can communicate with someone on the other side of the world with the click of a button instead of "dialing" more than a dozen numbers on the telephone and paying long distance charges. But someone on the other side of the world can communicate with you with the click of a button to ask for your bank account number to help them get money out of Nigeria. It's the balancing act of progress.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:38 am

Agree there's good & bad.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:59 am

In most ways, yes.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:26 pm

It has both its advantages and disadvantages, it was definitely a lot simpler before we had the internet but I'm glad that we got it when we did.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Sure...
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:01 am

By and large it was, but I wouldn't wanna go back to a world w/o it.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Not really.

Now ask me if life was better before text messaging and I'll give a different answer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 4:19 am