CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+17
CatEyes10736
RobbieFTW
Kral
Chris
Impact
JM130ELM
Marc™
RedBedroom
JeanMerc82
Jason B.
femme fatale
Nystyle709
Supernova
MandyPerfumeGirl
GrayWolf
captainbryce
Nhaiyel
21 posters

Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears.

Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. Empty Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears.

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Piercing baby girls ears...

For or against?

Keep in mind that this is tradition in many cultures. My cousin had her baby girl's ears pierced when she was six weeks old (not tradition in our family, she just thought it was cute.)
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. Empty Re: Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears.

Post by captainbryce Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:04 pm

I'm against it for the same reason I'm against having boys circumcised, having dogs tails clipped and having cats declawed. I think that people and animals are entitled to be as they are, not as their "owners", "masters" and "parents" prefer them to look like. All of these things are painful and none of them are at the request of the subject. I think it's immoral and unethical to do these things (especially considering that none of them are necessary and that they are all justified by "tradition"). Nothing holds society back more than tradition for the sake of tradition.

In China, they used to bound little girls feet up for years so that they wouldn't grow large enough for them to be able to run. They thought it made them prettier and more desirable to a potential mate when they were older! A "tradition" that lasted thousands of years until people realized just how unethical and ridiculous it was.

Last edited by captainbryce on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. Empty Re: Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears.

Post by GrayWolf Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:10 pm

I agree with captainbryce. Piercing a baby's ears is too much like circumcision IMO. Let her decide for herself when she wants to start wearing earrings, don't impose body modification on someone who can't give their consent or opinion.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:24 pm

I'm against it. It's just so dumb to do it when a girl has her whole life ahead of her and many opportunities to do it if she wants. As Gray said, let her decide when/if she wants to do it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:49 pm

Exactly. I mean WHAT is the point in it? 'She looks pretty and she's mine so I can do whatever I want with her?' That is the logic you use when you're a little girl coloring your dolls with markers, this is a living, breathing human being who is going to grow up into an individual person some day.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:32 pm

I won't pierce her ears that young, but I will get 'em pierced.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Why?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Supernova wrote:Why?

Because I want her ears pierced.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Again I ask, why? It's her body, why can't she make that decision when she wants to, IF she wants to?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:52 pm

Supernova wrote:Again I ask, why?

Because Nystyle wants her baby girl's ears pierced. Pretty. I need to give you another reason?

It's her body, why can't she make that decision when she wants to, IF she wants to?

Well, I went ahead and made it for her. Ever heard your parents tell you that? She can make the decision to not wear earrings when she gets older if she wants to. It'll be the same effect as not piercing her ears. It is seriously that big of a deal? What kind of grievous injustice am I causing in that millisecond my baby girls ears are pierced?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 pm

So if a parent wants to completely tattoo their kid from head to foot because they find it artistic, that's alright too?

Most parents tell their kids NO when they want to get their ears pierced, why? Obviously there's more of an issue than just 'pretty' to punching two holes in your kid's head and having studs put in them.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Supernova wrote:So if a parent wants to completely tattoo their kid from head to foot because they find it artistic, that's alright too?

Subtly is key! That wouldn't be pretty. Using a needle to tattoo your baby would be a lot more painful that piercing her ears. But essentially, if that's what the mother wants to do, she should prob. used henna instead of a tattoo gun. Same effect, less invasive. Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. 11852 Anything else?

Most parents tell their kids NO when they want to get their ears pierced, why? Obviously there's more of an issue than just 'pretty' to punching two holes in your kid's head and having studs put in them.

They tell their kids no because they don't like pierced ears. So what? It's their rule. They are entitled to like and dislike whatever they want for the child that they are raising. The only 'issue' is preference. If you don't want to pierce your baby girl's ears Supernova.....then by all means, don't. However, me piercing mine will not make me a bad parent and it is NOT grievous injustice. And I believe we are talking about ears, not heads. I don't think earlobes are considered a vital organ to the human body. LOL, your dramatics are quite entertaining, if anything. If she takes the earrings out, would you be able to tell if she had pierced ears? Not really. So calm your nerve.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Then pierce your own ears if it's so pretty, but they're her ears on her body so it has to be HER decision. 'Pretty' is going to be a pretty lame excuse if one day she says 'I HATE my ears like this, why did you do this to me?' And even if it isn't noticeable to other people, it's going to be VERY noticeable to her because it's HER ears that have been messed with without it being her own decision.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:19 pm

I see nothing wrong with piercing a baby girls ears. 9 times out of 10, she will wind up getting them pierced anyway. It's actually healthier to get them pierced when they're younger than it is later.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Supernova wrote:Then pierce your own ears if it's so pretty

I already have, and my baby girl is going to be pretty just like mommy. Smile

but they're her ears on her body so it has to be HER decision. 'Pretty' is going to be a pretty lame excuse if one day she says 'I HATE my ears like this, why did you do this to me?'

If so, she'll get over it. And since she pretty much would have been living with pierced ears from the time she can remember, I'm 99% sure your little scenario won't ever happen. Pretty good odds. I can live with that. I'll go 'head and pierce 'em. Smile

And even if it isn't noticeable to other people, it's going to be VERY noticeable to her because it's HER ears that have been messed with without it being her own decision.

LOL. Okay. Thank you for over analyzing that for me, Mrs. Crabtree.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Pierced ears on a baby look cute until the baby pulls the stud out, puts it in their mouth and chokes on it. You don't give a baby any object which will fit in their mouth, so why hang one or two from its ears.
    JeanMerc82
    JeanMerc82
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by JeanMerc82 Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 pm

My older sister and i had our ears pierced when we were 1 month old. Both my 1 year old nieces have theirs pierced, i don't get what the big deal is! NY.. I agree with everything you said.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:47 pm

JB wrote:Pierced ears on a baby look cute until the baby pulls the stud out, puts it in their mouth and chokes on it. You don't give a baby any object which will fit in their mouth, so why hang one or two from its ears.

Babies can choke on a multitude of things that you'd have around them without a second thought. So not quite. First of all, if you're going to pierce, you'd do it pretty early. Secondly, you have to let the stud stay in for about 3 weeks to a month or month and a half so the hole won't close. And they make studs so tiny, they're strictly for babies. Seed studs, not the pearl sized ones you're prob. thinking of. They have backs and safety clasps on them. When I get my daughter's ear pierced, I'm pret.ty sure she wouldn't have the motor skills advanced enough to pull out her studs. And when she attains the ability to pull them out, she starts tugging at her ears, then you take them out. Who said earrings HAVE to be in her ears 24/7? It ain't like she'll be wearing door knockers.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:46 pm

I have had enough holes in my ears to know that sometimes positioning of the piercing is just off, and it is painful. I would wait until three or four if my little girl wanted it done.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:48 pm

My daughter was four when she got hers pierced, by that time she wanted it.....she kept picking at her ears tho until she had to be told that if she pulled the earring out she wouldn't be getting them repierced.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 am

Okay, I'll try to break this down for all the people on here who don't seem to get "why its such a big deal". I try to be an open minded and non-judgemental person most of the time. But I am also an opinionated person and when I speak my mind people can often take offense to some of the things that I say. I'll preface this by saying that two of my best friends (who I love dearly) have a baby daughter with pierced ears. They are "young" parents, and that's all I'll say about that.

Now down to it:

Part of being a parent (the main part) is to do what's in the best interest of your children. All other considerations are secondary! That said, when you decide that it's "cute" to punch holes through a baby's ears, you have completely disregarded your main responsibility as a parent, which is to protect your children (thus making you an irresponsible parent).

The "it only hurts for a moment" argument is lame and anyone who uses it has completely missed the point because their priorities are not in the right place. Such an argument suggests that there is a time limit to pain at which point something unethical suddenly becomes ethical. So exactly how much pain is necessary (or how long should something hurt) before it becomes wrong and unethical? You are doing something to a child (an infant who depends on you to make decisions about their well being) for a selfish, superficial reason that does nothing to help them in anyway, and you're causing them pain in order to do it! What you are doing is USING your child in a gross display of vanity. The fact that nobody who does this can ever come up with a rational, logical explaination for why they are doing that to their baby beyond "it's cute" proves just where their priorities are. Sure, it's not something that is going to kill them and if they want to take them out when they're older they can. But is that really even the issue? Is that really a justification for doing it in the first place? I don't think so. Ear piercing is tradition for the sake of tradition! Nothing more and nothing less. And it's the same argument with circumcision on boys (although admittedly that is much worse).

There are two kinds of people in this world. The kind that when the see an infant with earings, the first thing they think is, "wow, look at how cute she looks with earrings!" and the kind that think "wow, your parents must really be superficial douchebags". Without saying which group I fall into (although at this point it should be obvious) I'd be interested to know the stats on which type is more common in America these days. Sadly, my money is on type A (which speaks volumes about they typical American today). That's my two cents!

Often, the less their is to justify a cultural tradition, the harder it is to get rid of it! - Mark Twain
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:42 am

It's not a big deal. Piercings can be removed and holes will eventually close.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:59 am

JM130ELM wrote:It's not a big deal. Piercings can be removed and holes will eventually close.

Then why bother doing it in the first place? If it's not such a big deal, get yourself pierced and let the kid make her own decision about it. Maybe she won't WANT pierced ears, maybe she won't want to do what every other kid and its mother is doing.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:08 am

captainbryce wrote:Okay, I'll try to break this down for all the people on here who don't seem to get "why its such a big deal". I try to be an open minded and non-judgemental person most of the time. But I am also an opinionated person and when I speak my mind people can often take offense to some of the things that I say. I'll preface this by saying that two of my best friends (who I love dearly) have a baby daughter with pierced ears. They are "young" parents, and that's all I'll say about that.

Now down to it:

Part of being a parent (the main part) is to do what's in the best interest of your children. All other considerations are secondary! That said, when you decide that it's "cute" to punch holes through a baby's ears, you have completely disregarded your main responsibility as a parent, which is to protect your children (thus making you an irresponsible parent).

Please explain to me how piercing a girls ears is considered 'not protecting' her. PLEASE explain what fucking danger am I putting my daughter into by piercing her ears. Is she going to die? Get colic? Grow a third ear? I'd like to know

The "it only hurts for a moment" argument is lame and anyone who uses it has completely missed the point because their priorities are not in the right place.
    Such an argument suggests that there is a time limit to pain at which point something unethical suddenly becomes ethical. So exactly how much pain is necessary (or how long should something hurt) before it becomes wrong and unethical? You are doing something to a child (an infant who depends on you to make decisions about their well being) for a selfish, superficial reason that does nothing to help them in anyway, and you're causing them pain in order to do it! What you are doing is USING your child in a gross display of vanity.

LOL, and I say O-M-G. So I guess if you're dressing your child up in the fru-fru clothes and colors and wanting them to look cute wouldn't be a 'gross display of vanity'? Of course ear piercing is vanity. So what? It isn't anymore vain than you dressing your baby up and taking loads of pics.

The fact that nobody who does this can ever come up with a rational, logical explaination for why they are doing that to their baby beyond "it's cute" proves just where their priorities are.

And honestly, you ain't coming up with a logical reason why they shouldn't do it.
    "Gross display of vanity". That's an opinion. Because I am positive you'll be indulging in your own 'gross display of vanity' with your own baby. "You're not protecting your daughter". A ridiculous assumption. I didn't know piercing her ears meant throwing her out to the wolves. "It hurts". Well, taking her to doctor to get her shots hurts. Sticking a long ass needle in her arms every 6 months hurts, but you do that don't you? And don't even try to come back with "she will need her shots so that's different" bit, because that is so besides the point if you're trying to argue the pain factor. You wanna protect your baby from pain? Lock her up in the damn house so she'll reduce the risk of getting any childhood diseases before it's time for her to start school. "It's unethical" Says who if it's a tradition? Who are you to dictate tradition and determine if it's wrong or right? And quite frankly, this tradition is so tame. I find it hilarious when people try to over analyze shit.

Sure, it's not something that is going to kill them and if they want to take them out when they're older they can. But is that really even the issue?

Yup.

Is that really a justification for doing it in the first place? I don't think so. Ear piercing is tradition for the sake of tradition! Nothing more and nothing less. And it's the same argument with circumcision on boys (although admittedly that is much worse).

And if it is, you just answered your own question. Really, what is the point of getting upset over someone else's TRADITION if it's not harming you or the baby? It's not yours. You're acting like it's being forced upon you to pierce YOUR child's ears.

There are two kinds of people in this world. The kind that when the see an infant with earings, the first thing they think is, "wow, look at how cute she looks with earrings!" and the kind that think "wow, your parents must really be superficial douchebags". Without saying which group I fall into (although at this point it should be obvious) I'd be interested to know the stats on which type is more common in America these days. Sadly, my money is on type A (which speaks volumes about they typical American today). That's my two cents!

Exactly. That's your opinion darling. Not FACT. And like I said, all you're doing is describing your preference. You are doing nothing but trying to justify your PREFERENCE. This shit goes both ways. You'd be up in arms if someone decided and try to dictate to you that not circumcising your sons is "unethical" because it's been proven that it's easier and healthier to be circumcised. Which is the main reason people feel the need to have their boys circumcised. You'd be mad if someone told you uncircumcised dicks looks like anteaters because it's your 'gross display of vanity'. However, who is dogging you for not wanting to do that? I'm still getting her ears pierced. Better to do it now so I (and she) won't have to worry about it.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:43 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Please explain to me how piercing a girls ears is considered 'not protecting' her. PLEASE explain what fucking danger am I putting my daughter into by piercing her ears. Is she going to die? Get colic? Grow a third ear? I'd like to know

Well, I already answered this in a number of ways in the previous post. You either missed it or you are intentionally ignoring it for the sake of devotion to this tradition. I already said that it was NOT a life threatening thing and something that they will recover from. I also said that's COMPLETELY besides the point and pretending that it isn't is disregarding your responsibility as a parent because your priorities are in the wrong place. Don't take this personally (I am not talking about YOU specifically), but about "people" in general who try to justify this position. As others have already said here, ear piercing HURTS (otherwise they wouldn't cry when it's being done). Ear piercing may also lead to INFECTION in some cases. It's neither benign nor risk free and there is no benefit to the child by doing it. And by that argument ALONE, it is unethical.

Nystyle709 wrote:LOL, and I say O-M-G. So I guess if you're dressing your child up in the fru-fru clothes and colors and wanting them to look cute wouldn't be a 'gross display of vanity'? Of course ear piercing is vanity. So what? It isn't anymore vain than you dressing your baby up and taking loads of pics.
    Dressing up your child in "fru-fru" clothes is also vanity on the part of the parents (which I'm not going to make any attept to defend. But to compare that with something that actually hurts them (punching holes in their ears) or could lead to infection isn't a realistic comparrison. That's when things go from being just vain and ignorant to vain, ignorant and unethical. When some kid starts crying and screaming because their parent put them in funky clothes, or they have to make a trip to the doctors office for some antibiotics because of the fru-fru dress they put them in, then you can come back and use this as an example. Otherwise, the two things aren't really comparable!

Nystyle709 wrote:
    And honestly, you ain't coming up with a logical reason why they shouldn't do it.
    "Gross display of vanity". That's an opinion. Because I am positive you'll be indulging in your own 'gross display of vanity' with your own baby. "You're not protecting your daughter". A ridiculous assumption. I didn't know piercing her ears meant throwing her out to the wolves. "It hurts". Well, taking her to doctor to get her shots hurts. Sticking a long ass needle in her arms every 6 months hurts, but you do that don't you? And don't even try to come back with "she will need her shots so that's different" bit, because that is so besides the point if you're trying to argue the pain factor.
    First of all, while "vanity" may simply be "my opinion", there is no doubt in my mind that ear piercing on babies represents a form of vanity to everyone else on this forum (including you). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong by arguing that it is NOT a form of vanity! It would be different if I was the ONLY one with this opinion, but EVERYONE thinks that this is vanity (including the people who DO IT). So my "opinion" is not only an opinion, but it's a valid FACT according to everyone else on here (unless you'd care to argue that).

Secondly, and here is the part you obviously don't understand Nystyle: causing pain to a child for a NECESSARY reason (were the benefit outweights the risks) is ethical. Causing pain to a child for an unnecessary and superficial reason (where there is no benefit to the child) is unethical! Therin lies the difference. Ear piercing cannot be compared to something done for the benefit of the child! And until you can prove that ear piercing a baby improves her life in some way, you can't justify doing it, PERIOD! And that's why the "needle" argument doesn't work here.

Nystyle709 wrote:You wanna protect your baby from pain? Lock her up in the damn house so she'll reduce the risk of getting any childhood diseases before it's time for her to start school."It's unethical" Says who if it's a tradition? Who are you to dictate tradition and determine if it's wrong or right? And quite frankly, this tradition is so tame. I find it hilarious when people try to over analyze shit.
    That's funny, because that is exactly what YOU are doing by digging to find a defense to this "tradition". But rather than answer this pretty ridiculous line of reasoning you've presented here, let me just ask you a simple question here. You want to use the notion of "tradition" as a defense for this right. So let me ask you: "What justifies any painful tradition?"

Nystyle709 wrote:Sure, it's not something that is going to kill them and if they want to take them out when they're older they can. But is that really even the issue?

Yup..
    No it's NOT. That's why it was a rhetorical question (that I went on to answer and explain why myself).

Nystyle709 wrote:Is that really a justification for doing it in the first place? I don't think so. Ear piercing is tradition for the sake of tradition! Nothing more and nothing less. And it's the same argument with circumcision on boys (although admittedly that is much worse).

And if it is, you just answered your own question. Really, what is the point of getting upset over someone else's TRADITION if it's not harming you or the baby? It's not yours. You're acting like it's being forced upon you to pierce YOUR child's ears.
    You're still not getting this are you? IT IS HURTING THE BABY, and that is the point! Have you ever taken an ethics class before? Judging by your responses I'm going to guess no, and if not it's something you should probably consider if you have the time. It's really an interesting class that I found often makes people think in a way that they haven't considered before.

In any case, I don't understand your logic here. Whether or not something is being done to ME or to MY BABY doesn't mean that I should ignore the ethics of it (because that would make me unethical). If you saw someone abusing their child, should you NOT care because it's not you or your child? Bouding up the feet of Chinese girls for years was a "tradition" too. It was also a ridiculous tradition and a form of abuse by most people's standards today! Should you not care that children are being abused because it's "someone else's" tradition? You keep trying to use tradition as if it's a defense but what you need to realize is that tradition alone does not justify causing harm to someone else against their will (regardless of HOW MUCH harm is being done to them), unless you can demonstrate in some way how such a tradition is beneficial to that child. This is simple ethics!

Nystyle709 wrote:Exactly. That's your opinion darling. Not FACT. And like I said, all you're doing is describing your preference. You are doing nothing but trying to justify your PREFERENCE.
    Negative. That's not what I'm doing at all because my only "preference" is that it's the child's preference that should matter, not the parent's. It is YOU who are trying to justify your PREFERENCE at the expense of the child (which is unethical because your preference should be irrelevant, particularly when it doesn't benefit the child).[/quote]

Nystyle709 wrote:You'd be up in arms if someone decided and try to dictate to you that not circumcising your sons is "unethical" because it's been proven that it's easier and healthier to be circumcised. Which is the main reason people feel the need to have their boys circumcised. You'd be mad if someone told you uncircumcised dicks looks like anteaters because it's your 'gross display of vanity'. However, who is dogging you for not wanting to do that?
    I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here because you used way too many double negatives. Maybe you can rephrase this so that it is clearer? By my point has always been the same about circumcision as it is about ear piercing. I view it as equally unethical (if that's what your question was).

Nystyle709 wrote:I'm still getting her ears pierced. Better to do it now so I (and she) won't have to worry about it.
    It's obvious that we have a fundamental disagreeance on this issue and that being the case it's probably best that we agree to disagree. I see no benefit to getting a baby's ears pierced and knowing that it is painful, potentially harmful and is of no benefit to the child, I don't see how it can be ethically justified. That is my "opinion" which you are free to disagree with. That is the nature of these boards aren't they? I'll simply add this (and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to), but what exactly is there to "worry" about by NOT doing it?

Have a blessed day!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:13 am