CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+17
CatEyes10736
RobbieFTW
Kral
Chris
Impact
JM130ELM
Marc™
RedBedroom
JeanMerc82
Jason B.
femme fatale
Nystyle709
Supernova
MandyPerfumeGirl
GrayWolf
captainbryce
Nhaiyel
21 posters

Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. - Page 2 Empty Re: Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears.

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:07 pm

captainbryce wrote:what exactly is there to "worry" about by NOT doing it?

Easy. Since her WHOLE reason for piercing the baby's ears is 'pretty', the travesty by not doing it is her baby is going to be 'not pretty'.
    JeanMerc82
    JeanMerc82
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. - Page 2 Empty Re: Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears.

Post by JeanMerc82 Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:24 pm

This whole piercing debate is so stupid! Right now there is so much going on with the world... and your worry about us piercing our daughters ears."WE ARE THE PARENTS NOT YOU". I RESPECT your opinions and the way you raise your own, but if we pierce our daughters ears we make the decision not you *RESPECT IT*!!!!!!!!
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:51 pm

It's unnecessary vanity IMO for a parent to pierce a babies ears. Neither of my daughters have their ears pierced, and it will stay that way until they are old enough to

a) decide for themselves they want it done
    b) pay for it themselves.

It's a waste of money on my end, it's just not needed right now.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Impact wrote:It's unnecessary vanity IMO for a parent to pierce a babies ears. Neither of my daughters have their ears pierced, and it will stay that way until they are old enough to

a) decide for themselves they want it done
    b) pay for it themselves.

It's a waste of money on my end, it's just not needed right now.

Exactly, I don't get it. We've already seen at least one example of a 'parent' who would do it and the only reasoning they need for it is 'pretty'. 'Pretty' is the reasoning a 3 year old does for doing something with no thought to the consequences. This isn't a doll you're customizing, it's a living, breathing human being who one day may hate your guts for mutilating them without their consent. If they're not going to die if they don't get studs punched into their ears, why do it? You think it's so pretty, do it to yourself, let them choose for THEMselves, or are you saying what THEY want doesn't matter so long as you get your pretty little doll baby?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:30 pm

My daughter's ears were pierced when she was nine as a birthday present. By that point, she was well aware of what earrings were and had been asking to get pierced for years. We went ahead and allowed it. I see nothing wrong with piercing a little girls ears, so long as she's old enough to know what's happening and wants it done. The way I see it, if she's so little that she'll cry at the sting of the puncture, then she's too young for it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Chris wrote:My daughter's ears were pierced when she was nine as a birthday present. By that point, she was well aware of what earrings were and had been asking to get pierced for years. We went ahead and allowed it. I see nothing wrong with piercing a little girls ears, so long as she's old enough to know what's happening and wants it done. The way I see it, if she's so little that she'll cry at the sting of the puncture, then she's too young for it.

Makes sense to me. I remember when I was 10 I bugged my mom to get my ears pierced and she said 'when you're 13 we'll see if you still want them'. And of course by then that thought was LOOOOONG gone and I wouldn't get it done now if you paid me, I don't even wear earrings anymore except a couple years ago at Halloween for a costume.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:36 pm

I think the "activism" over this is very misguided. The majority of females in the world have their ears pierced, and wouldn't have it any other way. You know so good and dog on well that just about every woman you know over the age of 16 wears earrings at least 50% of the time and has a jewelry case full of them. And at some point we ALL buy some lady in our lives a pair of earrings at their request. What I'm saying is that the likelihood of a woman resenting her parents for having her lobes pierced as a baby w/o her consent is overwhelming low! I've never heard of such a thing, actually! It's so low that it makes the whole argument silly. Making like this is some sort of unfair practice or a human rights violation being inflicted on the baby is laughably bleeding heart.

As for the guys who're up in arms about the idea of having a babies ears pierced...I'm sensing some projecting. Some of you are upset that some parents circumcise their infant sons and so you co-opt ANY and EVERY cosmetic alteration done to a baby to create a bigger tree of appall to further hold your anti-circumcision views. This though cannot be compared with circumcision of boys, because piercing isn't a medical procedure and nothing is being permanently altered or "removed". As JM correctly pointed out, if when the girl is older and she decides that she's not fond of earrings, she can take them out and the hole will eventually heal (close). Her choices aren't being taken from her. If anything she's being given another option. To have earrings or to not. Without having to go through the trouble of arranging it herself later on.

Parents of baby girls have the right to accessorize them any way they see fit, so long as what they're doing isn't doing any damage. And a pierced ear is just that, an accessory. In no way is it detrimental.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Kral wrote:I think the "activism" over this is very misguided. The majority of females in the world have their ears pierced, and wouldn't have it any other way. You know so good and dog on well that just about every woman you know over the age of 16 wears earrings at least 50% of the time and has a jewelry case full of them. And at some point we ALL buy some lady in our lives a pair of earrings at their request. What I'm saying is that the likelihood of a woman resenting her parents for having her lobes pierced as a baby w/o her consent is overwhelming low! I've never heard of such a thing, actually! It's so low that it makes the whole argument silly. Making like this is some sort of unfair practice or a human rights violation being inflicted on the baby is laughably bleeding heart.

As for the guys who're up in arms about the idea of having a babies ears pierced...I'm sensing some projecting. Some of you are upset that some parents circumcise their infant sons and so you co-opt ANY and EVERY cosmetic alteration done to a baby to create a bigger tree of appall to further hold your anti-circumcision views. This though cannot be compared with circumcision of boys, because piercing isn't a medical procedure and nothing is being permanently altered or "removed". As JM correctly pointed out, if when the girl is older and she decides that she's not fond of earrings, she can take them out and the hole will eventually heal (close). Her choices aren't being taken from her. If anything she's being given another option. To have earrings or to not. Without having to go through the trouble of arranging it herself later on.

Parents of baby girls have the right to accessorize them any way they see fit, so long as what they're doing isn't doing any damage. And a pierced ear is just that, an accessory. In no way is it detrimental.

To you, it isn't detrimental, but it's always different when YOU'RE the one who has to wear it instead of the person who wants it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:13 am

Wow, I am blown away at how people are stumbling over this issue. Yet, I am compelled to chime in again.

Dressing a baby up in frou frou clothes is not anywhere close to ear piercing. It can be painful if the piercing is not done well. I, for one, would not want to get my baby's ears done, then wonder every time she cries if it is just baby crabby or pain.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:45 am

TrevorToddFan wrote:This whole piercing debate is so stupid! Right now there is so much going on with the world... and your worry about us piercing our daughters ears.
    You're wrong. I'm not "worried" at all about ear piercing. In fact, I sleep like a baby every night knowing that some people choose to pierce their baby's ears. It is what it is and it is something that I simply disagree with. The original question was what do we think about ear piercing. Me giving an opinion that is contrary to yours doesn't mean that it is something that is keeping me up at night. It was in fact the main focus of this discussion! Don't be so offended that I disagree with you that you need to imply "worry" on my part. We are all free to have seperate opinions on this issue aren't we?

TrevorToddFan wrote:"WE ARE THE PARENTS NOT YOU". I RESPECT your opinions and the way you raise your own, but if we pierce our daughters ears we make the decision not you *RESPECT IT*!!!!!!!!
    I don't have to respect your opinion at all. Respecting an opinion that you flat out disagree with is completely illogical. You don't respect my opinion, so why should I respect yours? I'm saying right now for the record that I don't respect any opinion that is unethical.

I can however agree to disagree with you and respect you as a person (despite the fact that your view on this issue differs from mine) because I believe that you are entitled to your own opinion. The question is, do you feel the same way? Like I said earlier, people are often offended by my answers even when I just speak my mind. There is no need to get emotional about it. I'm just an ordinary person like you are, answering a question.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:11 am

RedBedroom wrote:Wow, I am blown away at how people are stumbling over this issue. Yet, I am compelled to chime in again.

Dressing a baby up in frou frou clothes is not anywhere close to ear piercing. It can be painful if the piercing is not done well. I, for one, would not want to get my baby's ears done, then wonder every time she cries if it is just baby crabby or pain.

Exactly, but apparently this idea escapes some 'parents'. 'It's pretty, so I can accessorize her however I want because I'm the parent'. So a baby is just property and not an actual person? Does that also work once an old person reaches a certain age? I meant at some point do kids have the right to 'accessorize' their parents or grandparents however they want because the younger ones are the ones in charge and the old ones aren't or don't count or whatever? People need to wake up, this isn't a doll they're talking about that you can just do whatever you want with it because 'oh, pretty!', it's a REAL person. if you're so obsessed over pierced ears, do it to yourself, for your child, it needs to be THEIR decision. Would you tattoo your baby becuase it's neat? Would you completely change the color of their hair because YOU don't like it? How about the eyes? Would you make them wear colored lenses because their real eyes aren't 'pretty' enough for YOUR liking? Guess what? SOMEBODY else has to live with what YOU want, you don't, you see how that's ass backwards?
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:15 am

Kral wrote:I think the "activism" over this is very misguided. The majority of females in the world have their ears pierced, and wouldn't have it any other way. You know so good and dog on well that just about every woman you know over the age of 16 wears earrings at least 50% of the time and has a jewelry case full of them.
    With all due respect, this is another case of someone who has completely missed the point of the "activism" which is subject to your criticism. The key words in your response were OVER THE AGE OF 16. When you examine what you actually said, neither you, nor I, nor anyone who is an "activist" against ear piercing (there are no activists by the way, it's just a difference of opinion), have a problem with a 16 year old girls choosing to get her ear pierced. But to say that every 16 year old girl and older gets their ear pierced is a justification for a parent to do this to their infant child is ridiculous! Even if you wanted to use this logic as an argument, the question then becomes, why not just let them do it when they are 16? I'm sorry but until the ethics of causing pain to an infant for a superficial reason can be worked out, this can't be used as a justification.

Kral wrote:And at some point we ALL buy some lady in our lives a pair of earrings at their request. What I'm saying is that the likelihood of a woman resenting her parents for having her lobes pierced as a baby w/o her consent is overwhelming low! I've never heard of such a thing, actually!
    What does that have to do with anything? Nobody is arguing that at all? The reason why people object to it is because it is unethical to cause pain to a baby for a superficial reason that doesn't benefit them. Let's get back to the fundamental argument of ethics. Can you justify punching holes in a baby's ears for no reason that benefits that baby? The answer is either yes or no! Everything else you are injecting into this discussion is nonsense that was never really part of the debate!

Kral wrote:Making like this is some sort of unfair practice or a human rights violation being inflicted on the baby is laughably bleeding heart.
    Well, I'm sorry that you disagree but that's EXACTLY what it is unless you can explain in any way how it isn't (which so far NOBODY has been able to do). I gave specific reasons for why it is unethical and I have yet to see a response for why it isn't. I'm all ears!

Kral wrote:As for the guys who're up in arms about the idea of having a babies ears pierced...I'm sensing some projecting. Some of you are upset that some parents circumcise their infant sons and so you co-opt ANY and EVERY cosmetic alteration done to a baby to create a bigger tree of appall to further hold your anti-circumcision views.
    What? Where are you getting this conspiracy theory from? Earlier I mentioned that I was equally against circumcision of boys, but I don't see how that translates into "projecting". It was simply an analogy! In fact, I was probably against baby ear piercing before I was against circumcision (because I didn't know as much about circumcision until fairly recently).

Kral wrote:This though cannot be compared with circumcision of boys, because piercing isn't a medical procedure and nothing is being permanently altered or "removed". As JM correctly pointed out, if when the girl is older and she decides that she's not fond of earrings, she can take them out and the hole will eventually heal (close). Her choices aren't being taken from her. If anything she's being given another option. To have earrings or to not. Without having to go through the trouble of arranging it herself later on.
    Once again, I believe I already said that it's not as bad as circumcision. But this also sidesteps the point of why people are against it in the first place. Yes, she CAN take them out if she wants too (that was never in question). But as an infant she CAN'T express the fact that she doesn't want them in the first place, other than crying and screaming (which the parent will ignore in favor of their own preference!)

Kral wrote:Parents of baby girls have the right to accessorize them any way they see fit, so long as what they're doing isn't doing any damage.
    You're right, they DO have that right, and nobody is arguing that either. The discussion was never about what rights the parent has. The question was what do we think about ear piercing. I disagee with it for reasons already mention (despite the fact that parents currently have the right to do it). Parents also have the right to physically assault their children. It's called corporal punishment! And it's not illegal unless it's considered "excessive" which is subjective. However, if people who would engage in corporal punishment tried to do exactly the same thing on anyone else in the world who was not their own child, they would be arrested for assault and battery! Realistically, there is no difference from beating your 9 year old child with a belt than beating a 30 year old neighbor with a belt. It's the same thing, but the law calls it two different things by virtue of the fact that children have less rights than adults. The law grants people the right to do one, but not the other. Just because things are legal, or the law grants a certain rights, doesn't make it ethical! And when things are not ethical, they are open for debate (whether they are a legal right or not).

Kral wrote:And a pierced ear is just that, an accessory. In no way is it detrimental.
    A tattoo is a decoration which is not detrimental either. But if I wanted to tattoo my infant, people would call child protective services on me!
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:07 am

I think infancy is too young to get pierced. The child should at least be big enough to react with an "ouch" instead of screaming bloody murder when the piercing happens. Seriously though I don't know ANY little girl who objects to having an ear pierced. I have little sisters and their ears are pierced as babies. Maybe I should ask them if they're mad and see how they answer. LOL
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:33 am

captainbryce wrote:

Well, I already answered this in a number of ways in the previous post. You either missed it or you are intentionally ignoring it for the sake of devotion to this tradition. I already said that it was NOT a life threatening thing and something that they will recover from. I also said that's COMPLETELY besides the point and pretending that it isn't is disregarding your responsibility as a parent because your priorities are in the wrong place. Don't take this personally (I am not talking about YOU specifically), but about "people" in general who try to justify this position. As others have already said here, ear piercing HURTS (otherwise they wouldn't cry when it's being done). Ear piercing may also lead to INFECTION in some cases. It's neither benign nor risk free and there is no benefit to the child by doing it. And by that argument ALONE, it is unethical.

Says who? And there is a benefit. Makes her look pretty. Smile It would only lead to infection if it's done improperly. You think I'm just going to let some chick in a garage pierce my daughter's ears?

Dressing up your child in "fru-fru" clothes is also vanity on the part of the parents (which I'm not going to make any attept to defend. But to compare that with something that actually hurts them (punching holes in their ears) or could lead to infection isn't a realistic comparrison. That's when things go from being just vain and ignorant to vain, ignorant and unethical. When some kid starts crying and screaming because their parent put them in funky clothes, or they have to make a trip to the doctors office for some antibiotics because of the fru-fru dress they put them in, then you can come back and use this as an example. Otherwise, the two things aren't really comparable!

I might buy this if I somehow thought you were the grand puba of determining what's "unethical". You seriously gonna sit up and try to put different degrees on the concept of vanity? LOL, that in itself is ridiculous. And oh yeah, I have seen kids screaming and crying over the funky clothes their parents put them in. My mom has done it to me quite a few times.

First of all, while "vanity" may simply be "my opinion", there is no doubt in my mind that ear piercing on babies represents a form of vanity to everyone else on this forum (including you). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong by arguing that it is NOT a form of vanity! It would be different if I was the ONLY one with this opinion, but EVERYONE thinks that this is vanity (including the people who DO IT). So my "opinion" is not only an opinion, but it's a valid FACT according to everyone else on here (unless you'd care to argue that).

I've already said it was vanity. Are you not understand what you just stated? You thinking it's a GROSS display of vanity is only your OPINION. Not that it is or is not vanity in itself. I don't think it's a 'gross' display. I don't see any problem with it.

Secondly, and here is the part you obviously don't understand Nystyle: causing pain to a child for a NECESSARY reason (were the benefit outweights the risks) is ethical. Causing pain to a child for an unnecessary and superficial reason (where there is no benefit to the child) is unethical! Therin lies the difference. Ear piercing cannot be compared to something done for the benefit of the child! And until you can prove that ear piercing a baby improves her life in some way, you can't justify doing it, PERIOD! And that's why the "needle" argument doesn't work here.

Yes it does. Because it's still PAIN. Since YOU want to argue that. Your ethics (opinion) don't come into play here because it's still the fact of the matter. "We can only cause them pain for their benefit". That's exactly what your statement is saying. LOL, that shit is totally ludicrous.

That's funny, because that is exactly what YOU are doing by digging to find a defense to this "tradition". But rather than answer this pretty ridiculous line of reasoning you've presented here, let me just ask you a simple question here. You want to use the notion of "tradition" as a defense for this right. So let me ask you: "What justifies any painful tradition?"

Umm, nope. I didn't bring up tradition. You did. I'm not piercing her ears because it's tradition. I'm doing it because I want them pierced. You have no say in that matter.

No it's NOT. That's why it was a rhetorical question (that I went on to answer and explain why myself).

And I answered it anyway.

You're still not getting this are you? IT IS HURTING THE BABY, and that is the point!

Yeah, that's it. In the seconds it takes to get her ears pierced, poor thing is just suffering through unthinkable, unbearable pain that will continue for hours on end. My bad.

Have you ever taken an ethics class before? Judging by your responses I'm going to guess no, and if not it's something you should probably consider if you have the time. It's really an interesting class that I found often makes people think in a way that they haven't considered before.

You guessed wrong. And I don't know what ethics class you took, but I was taught that opinions aren't facts. Ethics deal with morality. This is not an issue that deals with morals. It's an issue that deals with preference. Point blank.

In any case, I don't understand your logic here. Whether or not something is being done to ME or to MY BABY doesn't mean that I should ignore the ethics of it (because that would make me unethical). If you saw someone abusing their child, should you NOT care because it's not you or your child? Bouding up the feet of Chinese girls for years was a "tradition" too. It was also a ridiculous tradition and a form of abuse by most people's standards today! Should you not care that children are being abused because it's "someone else's" tradition?

That would be sad.

You keep trying to use tradition as if it's a defense but what you need to realize is that tradition alone does not justify causing harm to someone else against their will (regardless of HOW MUCH harm is being done to them), unless you can demonstrate in some way how such a tradition is beneficial to that child. This is simple ethics!

Right. (Yawn)

Negative. That's not what I'm doing at all because my only "preference" is that it's the child's preference that should matter, not the parent's. It is YOU who are trying to justify your PREFERENCE at the expense of the child (which is unethical because your preference should be irrelevant, particularly when it doesn't benefit the child).

Mmmkay. Well, I'm going to be the the head honcho in my house. This ain't no democracy. I want my baby's ears pierced, she's getting them pierced. I mean, goddamn, I didn't think it got this real over an ear piercing.
    And besides, she'll like it. Trust me. Smile

Nystyle709 wrote:You'd be up in arms if someone decided and try to dictate to you that not circumcising your sons is "unethical" because it's been proven that it's easier and healthier to be circumcised. Which is the main reason people feel the need to have their boys circumcised. You'd be mad if someone told you uncircumcised dicks looks like anteaters because it's your 'gross display of vanity'. However, who is dogging you for not wanting to do that?
    I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here because you used way too many double negatives. Maybe you can rephrase this so that it is clearer? By my point has always been the same about circumcision as it is about ear piercing. I view it as equally unethical (if that's what your question was).

You'd be mad if someone tried to dictate to you that not circumcising a male would be unethical.

Nystyle709 wrote:I'm still getting her ears pierced. Better to do it now so I (and she) won't have to worry about it.
    It's obvious that we have a fundamental disagreeance on this issue and that being the case it's probably best that we agree to disagree. I see no benefit to getting a baby's ears pierced and knowing that it is painful, potentially harmful and is of no benefit to the child, I don't see how it can be ethically justified. That is my "opinion" which you are free to disagree with. That is the nature of these boards aren't they? I'll simply add this (and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to), but what exactly is there to "worry" about by NOT doing it?

Absolutely nothing. See, I'm not on here grandstanding and huffing over the fact that someone would PREFER not to have their baby's ears pierced. I don't give a shit if you decide not to do it. You are getting mad at the fact if someone does. Which I find totally unreasonable. To each its own. I'm still getting them pierced. Smile

Have a blessed day!

You too!
    [/quote]
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:53 am

Supernova wrote:

Exactly, but apparently this idea escapes some 'parents'. 'It's pretty, so I can accessorize her however I want because I'm the parent'. So a baby is just property and not an actual person? Does that also work once an old person reaches a certain age? I meant at some point do kids have the right to 'accessorize' their parents or grandparents however they want because the younger ones are the ones in charge and the old ones aren't or don't count or whatever? People need to wake up, this isn't a doll they're talking about that you can just do whatever you want with it because 'oh, pretty!', it's a REAL person. if you're so obsessed over pierced ears, do it to yourself, for your child, it needs to be THEIR decision. Would you tattoo your baby becuase it's neat? Would you completely change the color of their hair because YOU don't like it? How about the eyes? Would you make them wear colored lenses because their real eyes aren't 'pretty' enough for YOUR liking? Guess what? SOMEBODY else has to live with what YOU want, you don't, you see how that's ass backwards?

Get the FUCK off of it. Because I KNOW you currently do, will continue to do, and have done things that your parents made you do based on their preferences as well.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:56 am

Kral wrote:I think the "activism" over this is very misguided. The majority of females in the world have their ears pierced, and wouldn't have it any other way. You know so good and dog on well that just about every woman you know over the age of 16 wears earrings at least 50% of the time and has a jewelry case full of them. And at some point we ALL buy some lady in our lives a pair of earrings at their request. What I'm saying is that the likelihood of a woman resenting her parents for having her lobes pierced as a baby w/o her consent is overwhelming low! I've never heard of such a thing, actually! It's so low that it makes the whole argument silly. Making like this is some sort of unfair practice or a human rights violation being inflicted on the baby is laughably bleeding heart.

LOL, I didn't know it got this real over an ear piercing Kral! Maybe if I said I wanted to pierce my baby girls clit or her nipples, all this huffing might make sense? Who knows. (Kanye shrug)
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:It's neither benign nor risk free and there is no benefit to the child by doing it. And by that argument ALONE, it is unethical.

Says who?
    I just did. big grin

Nystyle709 wrote:And there is a benefit. Makes her look pretty. Smile
    Forgetting the fact that "pretty" is subjective, pierced ears is not a benefit to HER. That is something superficial that cators only to your preference.

Nystyle709 wrote:It would only lead to infection if it's done improperly. You think I'm just going to let some chick in a garage pierce my daughter's ears?
    And I'm sure every little girl that's ever got an infection in such a case is the result of their parents letting "some chick in a garage" pierce their daughters ears. Because clearly, those parents didn't care what happened to their daughter and wanted them to get an infection when they did that! :rme:

Nystyle709 wrote:
    I might buy this if I somehow thought you were the grand puba of determining what's "unethical". You seriously gonna sit up and try to put different degrees on the concept of vanity? LOL, that in itself is ridiculous.
    I didn't put different degrees on the concept of vanity. I said they were both vain. I simply added (in the case of ear piercing) that it was both vain and unethical. Smile

Nystyle709 wrote:And oh yeah, I have seen kids screaming and crying over the funky clothes their parents put them in. My mom has done it to me quite a few times.
    And in your mind that somehow justifies ear piercing? silent

Nystyle709 wrote:
    I've already said it was vanity. Are you not understand what you just stated? You thinking it's a GROSS display of vanity is only your OPINION. Not that it is or is not vanity in itself. I don't think it's a 'gross' display. I don't see any problem with it.
    And that is just your opinion. So....why are you jumping down my throat because my opinion is different than yours confused ?

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Yes it does. Because it's still PAIN. Since YOU want to argue that. Your ethics (opinion) don't come into play here because it's still the fact of the matter. "We can only cause them pain for their benefit". That's exactly what your statement is saying. LOL, that shit is totally ludicrous.
    Why is that ludicrous? That's totally consistent with the code of medical ethics (first do no harm) and it's exactly what doctors agree to when they take the hippocratic oath! So why is it ludicrous when the same concept is applied outside of medicine? confused

Nystyle709 wrote:You want to use the notion of "tradition" as a defense for this right. So let me ask you: "What justifies any painful tradition?"

Umm, nope. I didn't bring up tradition. You did.
    Um, actually, (and let me refresh your memory here) I DIDN'T bring up tradition, the OP did when she stated: "Keep in mind that this is tradition in many cultures." When I commented on why that was a nonsensical reason for ear piercing, you then defended the practice by using "tradition" when you said: "It's unethical" Says who if it's a tradition? Who are you to dictate tradition and determine if it's wrong or right? And quite frankly, this tradition is so tame." So regardless over WHO brought it up, it was part of your defense and be that as it may the question remains: "What justifies a painful tradition?" The truth is, you can't answer this question (actually nobody can) and that's what makes it unethicl, not just because "I say so".

Nystyle709 wrote:I'm not piercing her ears because it's tradition. I'm doing it because I want them pierced. You have no say in that matter.
    I never said I had a say in the matter. When did that become part of the discussion? I simply said that I disagree with it and gave all of my reasons. You keep trying to make this a "me vs you" argument and it's not. I'm simply giving my opinion. The fact that you are being so defensive about this and getting so upset that I disagree with you indicates how weak your justification of it is. If ear piercing babies was really justifiable ethically, then you wouldn't be getting so upset with me for suggesting otherwise. This is simply a difference of opinion.

Nystyle709 wrote:No it's NOT. That's why it was a rhetorical question (that I went on to answer and explain why myself).

And I answered it anyway.
    Yes, and your answer was wrong for the reasons that I indicated! big grin

Nystyle709 wrote:You're still not getting this are you? IT IS HURTING THE BABY, and that is the point!

Yeah, that's it. In the seconds it takes to get her ears pierced, poor thing is just suffering through unthinkable, unbearable pain that will continue for hours on end. My bad.
    Well, sarcasm notwithstanding, it is what it is! And until you can reconcile the fact that you have caused pain to an infant for no beneficial reason to them (superficial reasons based on the parents vanity does not count as a benefit to the child), then my point still stands. It's unethical!

Nystyle709 wrote:Have you ever taken an ethics class before? Judging by your responses I'm going to guess no, and if not it's something you should probably consider if you have the time. It's really an interesting class that I found often makes people think in a way that they haven't considered before.

You guessed wrong. And I don't know what ethics class you took, but I was taught that opinions aren't facts. Ethics deal with morality. This is not an issue that deals with morals. It's an issue that deals with preference. Point blank.
    You're right, ethics does deal with morality and you can't use an argument of "preference" to justify pain (unless the preference is the person who is the recipiant of the pain). It is YOUR preference, but you are not the one who pain is being inflicted on and that's how it becomes a MORAL issue, because it's NOT the preference of the baby!

Nystyle709 wrote:If you saw someone abusing their child, should you NOT care because it's not you or your child? Should you not care that children are being abused because it's "someone else's" tradition?

That would be sad.
    I agree, that WOULD be sad and that's exactly why I'm against piercing ears of baby girls. Because I find it to be a form of abuse, and the fact that it is happening to someone else doesn't lead me to believe that it suddenly becomes "okay" based on that or that it's something that I shouldn't have an opinion on.

Nystyle709 wrote:You keep trying to use tradition as if it's a defense but what you need to realize is that tradition alone does not justify causing harm to someone else against their will (regardless of HOW MUCH harm is being done to them), unless you can demonstrate in some way how such a tradition is beneficial to that child. This is simple ethics!

Right. (Yawn)
    I'll take that as a concession and rest my case (otherwise you would have actually had a rebuttle for it).

Nystyle709 wrote:
    Mmmkay. Well, I'm going to be the the head honcho in my house. This ain't no democracy. I want my baby's ears pierced, she's getting them pierced. I mean, goddamn, I didn't think it got this real over an ear piercing. And besides, she'll like it. Trust me. Smile
    And that is typically how these sorts of arguments end when a parent "who has the legal right to do something" can no longer justify it ethically beyond what rights the law gives them. "Because I said so". But apparently, I've made my point pretty clearly (which was my only intent), even though you disagree.

Nystyle709 wrote:

You'd be mad if someone tried to dictate to you that not circumcising a male would be unethical.
    No I wouldn't because I actually would agree with that 100%. It's not ethical. The vast majority of pediatricians say it's not ethical and even a lot of doctors who at one time did it (or who still do) say its unethical. So there is really no doubt about that anymore!

Nystyle709 wrote:I'll simply add this (and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to), but what exactly is there to "worry" about by NOT doing it?

Absolutely nothing. See, I'm not on here grandstanding and huffing over the fact that someone would PREFER not to have their baby's ears pierced.
    Yes you are! You jumped down my throat because I gave an opinion that was contrary to your "preference". I have neither grandstanded nor huffed, I've simply disagreed. Smile

Nystyle709 wrote:I don't give a shit if you decide not to do it. You are getting mad at the fact if someone does. Which I find totally unreasonable.
    I'm not getting mad, I simply said that I find it to be unethical. That was my opinion and then YOU got mad at Supernova when the question was brought up (why would you do it). Then YOU got offended when I said I believed that "superficial decisions based on vanity that cause pain to a baby for no benefit makes someone an irresponsible parent". Again, that was only my opinion which you attacked. shake sense n2u The first (and so far only) person to "get mad" in this discussion was you. pissed But like I said, there is no reason to get mad because it's a fundamental disagreement that would should probably agree to disagree about. big grin
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:34 pm

captainbryce wrote:
    I just did. big grin

Forgetting the fact that "pretty" is subjective, pierced ears is not a benefit to HER. That is something superficial that cators only to your preference.

And I'm sure every little girl that's ever got an infection in such a case is the result of their parents letting "some chick in a garage" pierce their daughters ears. Because clearly, those parents didn't care what happened to their daughter and wanted them to get an infection when they did that! Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. - Page 2 11852

I didn't put different degrees on the concept of vanity. I said they were both vain. I simply added (in the case of ear piercing) that it was both vain and unethical. Smile

And in your mind that somehow justifies ear piercing? silent

And that is just your opinion. So....why are you jumping down my throat because my opinion is different than yours confused ?

Why is that ludicrous? That's totally consistent with the code of medical ethics (first do no harm) and it's exactly what doctors agree to when they take the hippocratic oath! So why is it ludicrous when the same concept is applied outside of medicine? confused

Um, actually, (and let me refresh your memory here) I DIDN'T bring up tradition, the OP did when she stated: "Keep in mind that this is tradition in many cultures." When I commented on why that was a nonsensical reason for ear piercing, you then defended the practice by using "tradition" when you said: "It's unethical" Says who if it's a tradition? Who are you to dictate tradition and determine if it's wrong or right? And quite frankly, this tradition is so tame." So regardless over WHO brought it up, it was part of your defense and be that as it may the question remains: "What justifies a painful tradition?" The truth is, you can't answer this question (actually nobody can) and that's what makes it unethicl, not just because "I say so".

I never said I had a say in the matter. When did that become part of the discussion? I simply said that I disagree with it and gave all of my reasons. You keep trying to make this a "me vs you" argument and it's not. I'm simply giving my opinion. The fact that you are being so defensive about this and getting so upset that I disagree with you indicates how weak your justification of it is. If ear piercing babies was really justifiable ethically, then you wouldn't be getting so upset with me for suggesting otherwise. This is simply a difference of opinion.

Yes, and your answer was wrong for the reasons that I indicated! big grin

Well, sarcasm notwithstanding, it is what it is! And until you can reconcile the fact that you have caused pain to an infant for no beneficial reason to them (superficial reasons based on the parents vanity does not count as a benefit to the child), then my point still stands. It's unethical!

You're right, ethics does deal with morality and you can't use an argument of "preference" to justify pain (unless the preference is the person who is the recipiant of the pain). It is YOUR preference, but you are not the one who pain is being inflicted on and that's how it becomes a MORAL issue, because it's NOT the preference of the baby!

I agree, that WOULD be sad and that's exactly why I'm against piercing ears of baby girls. Because I find it to be a form of abuse, and the fact that it is happening to someone else doesn't lead me to believe that it suddenly becomes "okay" based on that or that it's something that I shouldn't have an opinion on.

I'll take that as a concession and rest my case (otherwise you would have actually had a rebuttle for it).

And that is typically how these sorts of arguments end when a parent "who has the legal right to do something" can no longer justify it ethically beyond what rights the law gives them. "Because I said so". But apparently, I've made my point pretty clearly (which was my only intent), even though you disagree.

No I wouldn't because I actually would agree with that 100%. It's not ethical. The vast majority of pediatricians say it's not ethical and even a lot of doctors who at one time did it (or who still do) say its unethical. So there is really no doubt about that anymore!

Yes you are! You jumped down my throat because I gave an opinion that was contrary to your "preference". I have neither grandstanded nor huffed, I've simply disagreed. Smile

I'm not getting mad, I simply said that I find it to be unethical. That was my opinion and then YOU got mad at Supernova when the question was brought up (why would you do it). Then YOU got offended when I said I believed that "superficial decisions based on vanity that cause pain to a baby for no benefit makes someone an irresponsible parent". Again, that was only my opinion which you attacked. Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. - Page 2 108486 The first (and so far only) person to "get mad" in this discussion was you. Parents Piercing Their Baby Girls Ears. - Page 2 924153 But like I said, there is no reason to get mad because it's a fundamental disagreement that would should probably agree to disagree about. big grin

The girl asked me a question and I answered it. Where the fuck did I get mad at her for that? I attacked your opinion? LOL. This is a discussion forum am I right? I was merely 'discussing' why I thought your reasons for ear piercing to be unethical were completely silly. Oh, but I'm attacking your opinion and getting mad in the process? When you did the same thing. LOL, that's laughable. Sounds to me if you simply disagreed with me as well, you would've been the one to let it go. I do not get mad or upset at no one in here. I bet if I decided to waste my time and dissect the above tirade of yours any further, you'd respond right back time after time. But, I digress. Now that I'm done with that:

The only thing I will concede with you on is the fact that we need to just agree to disagree. You haven't convinced me that it's unethical. HARDLY. I haven't convinced you that it is. Discussing this with you and the other insanely raging drama queen on here is like beating a dead horse. It's pointless. Don't pierce your daughters ears. I'm gonna pierce mine. K? Mmmkay.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:11 am

I would get my daughters ears pierced, but not as a baby. Probably later on, when she's post toddler stage. By then she'll want it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:14 am

CatEyes10736 wrote:I would get my daughters ears pierced, but not as a baby. Probably later on, when she's post toddler stage. By then she'll want it.

What if she didn't want it, though?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:00 pm

ROFLMAO! This thread was a riot.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:13 pm

I would never do it. I think all body modifications should be the choice of the person whose body is being modified, unless the risks of not doing it outweigh the risks of doing it.

Piercing pros and cons IMO:
    pros: it's cute

cons: it hurts, it could get infected, it could get pulled out of her ear, she could develop a metal allergy from it, she could get scar tissue, she could choke on it, she could hate it and it could be bothering her and she wouldn't be able to tell me...

I would love for my daughter to get her ears pierced and I've been asking her if she wanted them pierced since she was 5 (that's when I got mine pierced, the second time. The first time my mom did it with a needle when I was 3 and they got infected and closed up.

My daughter doesn't want her ears pierced though, because my husband HATES piercings, they totally freak him out, even just pierced ears (so weird to me but whatever) so he's told her everything "bad" about them. She probably wont want them pierced until she's a teenager and wants to rebel against her dad.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:56 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:I would never do it. I think all body modifications should be the choice of the person whose body is being modified, unless the risks of not doing it outweigh the risks of doing it.

cons: it hurts, it could get infected, it could get pulled out of her ear, she could develop a metal allergy from it, she could get scar tissue, she could choke on it, she could hate it and it could be bothering her and she wouldn't be able to tell me...

^This is what people need to think about before they play Customize Me Barbie with their kids.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male

Post by captainbryce Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:35 am

Supernova wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:I would never do it. I think all body modifications should be the choice of the person whose body is being modified, unless the risks of not doing it outweigh the risks of doing it.

^This is what people need to think about before they play Customize Me Barbie with their kids.
    co-signs
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:40 am

How about spending that money on diapers or clothes.

Piercing a baby's ears is just... why? I mean, seriously. Your baby does not care that her ears are blinged out. A child isn't a toy or fashion accessory.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:30 pm