CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Supernova
FightSleep
Chris
7 posters

Borders is so depressing these days.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Borders is so depressing these days. Empty Borders is so depressing these days.

Post by Chris Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:58 pm

Borders used to have everything: books, music, DVDs. Now half of their inventory has been reduced. Sections that were once long have been downsized to a mere shelf. Another retail casualty of the internet.
    FightSleep
    FightSleep
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 1

Borders is so depressing these days. Empty Re: Borders is so depressing these days.

Post by FightSleep Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:23 am

No need to drive out to Borders when you can sit at your computer in your underwear and order the latest whatever from their site or from Amazon.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Borders is so depressing these days. Empty Re: Borders is so depressing these days.

Post by Supernova Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:41 am

Only problem with Amazon is no matter what book you get, even if it's a little pocket paperback, the shipping is $4 for every single one. That's one reason why I miss Ebay when they took money orders instead of everything must be paypal only, with them you could get reasonable shipping on things.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 am

Supernova wrote:Only problem with Amazon is no matter what book you get, even if it's a little pocket paperback, the shipping is $4 for every single one. That's one reason why I miss Ebay when they took money orders instead of everything must be paypal only, with them you could get reasonable shipping on things.
    Well thats if you order from the marketplace. I believe their own books qualify for free shipping like anything else.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:01 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Well thats if you order from the marketplace. I believe their own books qualify for free shipping like anything else.

Yep. As long as you order from Amazon & not the individual sellers & spend $25, shipping is free.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Yeah but if the book from an individual seller is only 1 cent or $1 (which is often the case with the books I buy) plus the $4 shipping, it wouldn't be worth it to pay the $25 for free shipping, but it does get annoying that out of the blue a while back, they raised the shipping from $3 for every book, and it doesn't take long for that to add up.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:20 pm

When I was in HS, college and for the about 4 years after that I worked at a branch of Waldenbooks. Waldenbooks is now a subsidiary of Borders. I think they used to have over 500 stores and now they're down to about 150. The Borders that was closest to me closed a while ago. There's a Barnes and Noble that we go to but sooner rather then later these brick & mortar retailers are going to go the way of the Dodo. Places like B&N seem to be trying to commit suicide with their e-readers.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 pm

There's a Walden Books right by my house and it's cramped and claustrophobic as sin. Remember B. Dalton? I haven't seen them in years. Book and music stores are an endangered species these days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm