CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Chris
TPP
RedBedroom
Marc™
Supernova
11 posters

Do you think that looks determine how people treat you?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Do you think that looks determine how people treat you? Empty Do you think that looks determine how people treat you?

Post by Supernova Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:09 am

We've all heard the story, if you're gorgeous, you get treated a HELL of a lot better than people who are not, maybe that's true, in a lot of cases it is. It certainly seems to be the case that Marilyn Monroe had because she wasn't particularly loved for her singing, and she couldn't act, it took her 56 takes to get a 3 word line right, she clearly didn't get by on her intelligence, she used her looks, but look at what happened to her.

My mother always says you will get better treatment if you're pretty, but people are going to like you better if you have a good personality and a likeable disposition. I find this to be true because me, I gotta no looks, people like me, what I thought was really funny was when I went to the post office today there were two men inside and they got the door for me coming in and going out, not treatment you get every day.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Do you think that looks determine how people treat you? Empty Re: Do you think that looks determine how people treat you?

Post by Marc™ Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 am

Yep. If you're especially good looking people will treat you good or bad....if you're ugly, people will treat you bad. If you're average you may fly under the radar for a little longer.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Do you think that looks determine how people treat you? Empty Re: Do you think that looks determine how people treat you?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm

I think that good looking people do get treated better, in general. But what I have come to believe as true is that in the case of women, it doesn't take being a knock out to get preferential treatment. For example I have known two young women who are pretty, but not knock outs. But it is what they project with a sexual vibe that keeps men jumping through hoops for them.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:31 pm

I think that looks can be an advantage or disadvantage that can be overcome. I don't LIKE it, but I do think it's true.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:18 am

Realistically, yes. Everyone gets judged based on the cover of their book, but to be fair, we all do it to other people too.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 am

Yeah. I get away with murder! big grin
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:35 am

Unfortunately, yes.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:37 am

To a degree. I think that initially, looks can be a factor in terms of how people (or whether or not they) approach you. However, after somebody has had a conversation with you, the "looks" factor pretty much goes out the window (or at the very least becomes secondary to your personality). If someone approaches you because you are "beautiful", then realized that the first thing that came out of your mouth painted you to be a complete douchebag, from that point on, you're not going to be treated nice because you "look good". On the other hand if you happen to not be the prettiest tool in the shed and then people realize that you're the nicest most helpful person they've spoken to all day, all of a sudden people are probably going to be treating you nicer than the pretty "bitch".
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:40 am

Yes, I think looks have a lot to do with how people treat you. I think everyone is guilty of it at one time or another.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:45 am

It's a given since we don't always get to meet or speak to the people we look at. We all judge and get judged on superficial things like looks, it's just a given.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:23 pm

I agree that ppl are initially judged on their appearance. It may just be a natural programming of our species. You know kids cute features are designed to make us care for them.

So an adult that retains those features will likely get better responses from those around them.

It has been noted in studies that cuter kids get preferential treatment from teachers in school.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:43 pm